Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 30th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Bar Credit Question

http://www.carnival.com/BonVoyage/Ad...+Items&pid=BAR

Has anyone used these before? $21.25 for 4 drink coupons. If the total of one drink is more than $5.31 and you use a coupon, do they charge you the difference? I have read on another message board that some waiters do and some don't. What are your experiences?

Carnival Liberty November 30-December 7, 2013
Carnival Liberty
March 2-March 9, 2013

Carnival Legend November 27-December 4, 2011
Carnival Miracle September 28-October 6 2010
Carnival Victory December 9-16, 2007
Carnival Imagination April 28-May 3, 2007
Carnival Fascination April 24-28, 2006
Carnival Fascination July 10-17, 1999
Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

Hey..I'd like to know that too as I just ordered 8 coupons for a friend for our next cruise. And...it doesn't give the option to have them at embarkation but on NIGHT 1 -- where do you pick them up at?? I was hoping it would be in the room. Its her FIRST cruise --- so I went all out with the decorations, cake and all. :-)
Old October 30th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

We found them to be a pain in the rear. You have to know which drinks to use them for, because they don't refund the difference. If you use them for a drink that is more expensive, they charge your Sail and Sign card the difference, so you end up with a 1.00 charge, and can't remember why.

Hubby did use them, but turned to me and said, "Honey, it was a great idea, but next time, don't"
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 30th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro

I love using the bar coupons I purchase them for all our cruises. Never found them to be a pain and used them for any type of liquor, shot, drink or beer bucket. By the way if they say you can't get your drink in one of those high colored specials of the day plastic glasses and give you your drink in a plain plastic cup the plain cup has the same amount that the special glass of the day has in it. I proved it to others on my cruise this past April. I like having my coupons and bar bill pre paid and find them very easy to use. Never had a problem. I have already purchased 180.00 dollars worth of drink coupons for my up coming cruise for us to use. I also pre purchase my photo coupons and my gift certificates for use for my on board credit. I do all this so by the time we sail or come back I never owe any money and usually get money back that I have not used. Try it you'll see how easy it is to use the coupons.

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old October 30th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Admiral

Forgot to say the first two times on the Inspiration I received the coupons at dinner the first night. This past cruise on the Sensation I found my pile of drink coupons sitting on the vanity table when I entered my cabin. I used them all day while we were waiting to sail. My sister found her's on the vanity table also.

Glory- 4/26/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old October 30th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro
I love using the bar coupons I purchase them for all our cruises. Never found them to be a pain and used them for any type of liquor, shot, drink or beer bucket. By the way if they say you can't get your drink in one of those high colored specials of the day plastic glasses and give you your drink in a plain plastic cup the plain cup has the same amount that the special glass of the day has in it. I proved it to others on my cruise this past April. I like having my coupons and bar bill pre paid and find them very easy to use. Never had a problem. I have already purchased 180.00 dollars worth of drink coupons for my up coming cruise for us to use. I also pre purchase my photo coupons and my gift certificates for use for my on board credit. I do all this so by the time we sail or come back I never owe any money and usually get money back that I have not used. Try it you'll see how easy it is to use the coupons.
Thanks for the input. One question, do you get charged extra on your S&S if the drink you order is more expensive than the value of the coupon ($5.31)?

Carnival Liberty November 30-December 7, 2013
Carnival Liberty
March 2-March 9, 2013

Carnival Legend November 27-December 4, 2011
Carnival Miracle September 28-October 6 2010
Carnival Victory December 9-16, 2007
Carnival Imagination April 28-May 3, 2007
Carnival Fascination April 24-28, 2006
Carnival Fascination July 10-17, 1999
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

OK good! I hope my coupons are on my vanity! Sure would make life easier!! And I TOLD my crew I was with before that its the same amount of drink in a smaller glass as in the souvineur glass! No one would believe me - and I kept forgetting to prove it. Thanks for that tip! So...basically, the coupon will buy one of those special of the day drinks, right??? What drinks are less in price? I thought they were basically the same thing.
Old October 30th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Admiral

I never got a bill for drinks after I purchased them with coupons. Never had to sign anything except inital the coupon and put my room # to prove they were mine to use. My fiance like high end drinks and beer buckets during the day we never had to pay anything extra so I do not not know what the other people are speaking about. I usually order the drink of the day and get it in a plastic cup. I get great service as I usually tip them an extra dollar once in awhile. I have ordered Miami vices, long island ice teas, pina coladas etc and never paid extra for them.

Glory- 4/26/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old October 30th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to cruzaddict

We also enjoyed the convenience of the bar credit coupons - during our September Conquest cruise. I drank Miami Vices, banana daiquiris, pina coladas, etc. that are normally $5.25 each (if memory serves). You won't get money back if you buy something cheaper like one beer, but we were not charged anything extra...it is supposed to cover tip also.

I do STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you give a dollar bill (or so) tip every once in awhile. I did not do this and I had poorer service than my companions that were paying with S&S cards. I had trouble getting the waitstaff to take my drink orders once they knew I had a book of drink coupons.

I will use them again - as a way to prepay for my drinks - but I will tip with a little cash upon first order and every so often after that.

Carnival Ecstasy 4-06, Carnival Conquest 9-07
Mariner OTS 9-08, Carnival Conquest 2-09
Carnival Conquest 9-09, Carnival Fantasy 1-10
Carnival Triumph 5-11, Mariner OTS 11-11
Old October 31st, 2007, 08:52 AM
Admiral

At first I thought the drink coupons were a pain, they don't explain how to redeem them and no one gave us our coupons at our first dinner. Later we tried to use the coupon reciepts at the bar and they said that we had to reemed them into coupons... It was very frustrating as we were not told what we had was not actually the coupon.
So we finally had to go back down to the resturant ask the Matre d about redeeming the coupons, he explained there was no one there to do that at the time, (I can't remember now if we actually got them that night or had to wait until next day)
We were not late for dinner and stayed the whole time, I don't know why we didn't get them.
That being said.... once we did get them, they were great. We just ordered what we wanted and didn't get charged any extra... I loved the coupons. Once we had them in our hot little hands....
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old October 31st, 2007, 03:37 PM
Passenger

Hi ~

We just got off the Liberty last week (boy, it sure is HARD to come back down to reality!). We had four bar coupons comped to us by Carnival after we had filled out a survey for them from a previous cruise. The tickets were waiting for us on our vanity after we got back from dinner the first night.

Thanks to advice from this cruise board, we knew to buy the drink of the days in the normal plastic cups (saved $2-$3 that way per drink!) and used the tickets for high end drinks (Tanqueray 'n tonic, Long Island ice tea). We were never charged the difference, though clearly the drinks were priced more than $5.25 :-) Re: the comment about the service being different with the coupons...I had heard that too. So I always kept them out of sight while ordering, and gave them to the staff when I received the drink. I did receive one abrupt look doing it this way. For the most part, though, the bar tenders were courteous and professional, though not exactly what I'd call friendly. Hope that info helps... :-)