Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 31st, 2007, 01:38 PM
Captain

Default Ok seriously, WHAT THE HECK TO DO IN PROGRESO?

i"ll have my 11 yr old son, and another couple with a 6 yr old. We just want to shop and enjoy the beach...shopping i know isnt an issue but the beach?

Is corona beach to crazy? How do i find out how many ships will be in port that day? I would do the mayan ruins but with 2 small kids not sure if that would be such a fun day for them.
Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2007, 02:25 PM
Captain

Liz;
We are going to do the Merida city/shopping tour through the ship. We are not much into th beach thing. Our DD & SIL are doing some ruins. If you use the link below it will tell you what ships will be there. I saw where it will just be the Fantasy and the Ecstasy on that day. Don't know about the Carona Beach Break.
Gary

http://www.cruisecal.com/portal/
Glory Western 2-07
Ecstasy 01-08
Ecstasy Feb. 1st. & Feb. 6th. 2010 B to B
Freedom 12-12-10
Freedom 09-24-11
Triumph 09-10-12
Triumph 09-15-12
Triumph 09-23-13
Triumph 09-28-13

Old December 11th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Familiar Face

This port maybe the first one that I just might stay on the ship and enjoy a quiet ship day. Unless someone can tell me about a "nice"not dirty beach.

Voyager of the Seas
Old December 12th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I stayed onboard in Progresso, due to health reasons, but our friend toured Merida, and loved it so much, heshas vacationed there many times now...most people who stayed in the port were dissapointed.

Oh and one odd thing was .... while our ship was docked, we were infiltrated by flies.....must have been that time of year!!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 12th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

We hit this place on my first cruise, just after they started taking cruise ships. We were detoured there instead of Costa Maya it had been hit by a hurricane. There wasn't much then. We pretty much sat at a table on the beach at the end of the pier and drank $1 Coronas all day. It was one of our better times, just hanging around with 10 friends and talking and playing. Not that this post helps you much, but I thought I'd share.

Carnival Holiday - Dec 04
Carnival Liberty - Jan 06
Carnival Liberty - Jan 07
RCCL Adventure of the Seas - Jan 08
Old December 12th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Admiral

All we did was shop at the little mall at the dock, got rained upon, and then returned to the ship.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old December 12th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

We are going to corona beach next month ----- planning on enjoying the beach and acting stupid with the games and having FUN...
Old December 12th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were there in October and there isn't anything outstanding that I can recomend. We did a mayan ruin and flamingo tour, I'd rate it about a 5 on a scale of 1-10 and wouldn't recomend it or do it again. After our tour, we walked the outdoor mall area. After you've seen the first group of tables then you've seen pretty much everything. It's worth the walk around if your looking for trinket's to take home. From there we walked to the beach area and were harrassed non-stop by vendors. Even standing knee deep water.
If you do get around the city much you'll get a pretty view of what most of Mexico is like. It's a different view than you get in the resort cities that most people visit.
If there is a next time at this port, then we will still get off the ship. Probably walk the market area quickly, spend some time on the beach with the $1 Coronas and get a massage.
Old December 13th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Captain

I can do without the Coranos BUT my better half may be interested in the massage...... I read that the Costa Maya port had reasonable prices, what do they charge for massages in Progreso? $_____..

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old December 17th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Passenger

11 and 6 are the ages that we first introduced our daughters to ruins. They could see, smell, and witness the civilzation that had dissapeared. It's the perfect time to introduce another culture in kids.

Those are are both doctors now. One a Psy and the other General Practice.

They might moan and groan about it at first....but it will stike a flame of curiosity in them later.
Old December 17th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Passenger

Beach is not pretty and water is cold. I suggest going to a ruin or a tour of Merida. The children might enjoy the trip to the cenotes for snorkling.

Your only other choice is the Reef Club. A bus will pick you up. It's a 45 minute drive out of town to a resort. It's all inclusive and has a nice pool for the kids as well as a bit better beach. The last time i went it was 45 per person for the bus, eats, and drinks. It's a rowdy bunch on the bus coming back with lots of people that took advantage of the all you can drink concept.
Old December 17th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Shirley Jones

was a bad spot I took my grandchildren there last year and beach was nasty they had games and it was loud they gave tequila away for prizes even to the KIDS and they had people wanting you to buy stuff and women dressed in uniforms asking for donations .
Conquest 3/10
Ecstasy 6/11
Magic 11/11
Old December 17th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M
I can do without the Coranos BUT my better half may be interested in the massage...... I read that the Costa Maya port had reasonable prices, what do they charge for massages in Progreso? $_____..

40 dollars for 30 minutes
Old December 17th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

Describe "Beach is not pretty" and 'dirty' water. We are going to corona beach in a few weeks and now I'm worried.....
Old December 17th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Shirley Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylroy
Describe "Beach is not pretty" and 'dirty' water. We are going to corona beach in a few weeks and now I'm worried.....
the water was off color brownish nasty looking and the beach needed to be draged it was full of broken shells and we found broken bottles in the sand also and beer tops ,but saying that my grandkids had a good time they did the banana boat ride and played in the water so at least they enjoyed it .
Conquest 3/10
Ecstasy 6/11
Magic 11/11
Old December 17th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Admiral

Watch where you step. One guy on our ship got a nasty cut on his foot at Corona Beach.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old December 17th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylroy
Looks very much like the Texas coast. Brown sand and murky water. It's in the Gulf of Mexico and you won't see any pretty water til you get to Cozumel.
Old December 18th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M
My wife tells me they were the same in Progresso as we paid in Costa Maya earlier in the year. $20 for 30 minutes come to mind, but I may be wrong. Can someone correct me on the price?