Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 1st, 2007, 09:31 AM
Passenger

Default Do You Eat the Food in the Ports?

We have 2 stops on our first cruise leavign Nov. 12...Cozumle & Progresso. I hear we shouldn't eat the food in these places or drink the water for that matter. Is that true? If that is true, can you get on & off the ship more than one time while in th ports? Both our excursions those days end @ 12:30 so we will most likely want to get lunch somewhere. Thanks for any help!
Pam
Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2007, 09:49 AM
Captain

We try to eat in many of the ports for a couple of reasons: 1) the local economy benefits and 2) you can experience this small part of their culture.

Before choosing where to eat we will often make a visit to the library to consult the travel gurus and see which places they recommend.

I'm not really brave enough to eat at roadside vendors although I know that many do but we have eaten in many eateries and restaurants on our cruises and have never had any problems. I think like anything else if you do your research and you exercise good judgement you'll be A Ok.
Old November 1st, 2007, 10:14 AM
Admiral

I've eaten at all the ports I've been to. I don't drink the water unless its bottled. I have had some great meals doing that. and yes. it helps the local economy.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old November 1st, 2007, 10:19 AM
Admiral

Cozumel is fine. Their establishments use purified water and we have eaten there many many times without incident. As long as you stay with the beach resorts or established restaurants, you will be fine. Now I would not go drinking out of a public water fountain!!!!

But, restaurants like CarlosNCharlies or Senor Frogs and beach resorts like Paradise Beach are all fine!!!

Progreso, we have not been to yet. We are headed that way in less than 40 days...yeah. But I don't expect to be eating there as we will probably be back on the ship by lunch time.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old November 1st, 2007, 10:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina
I've eaten at all the ports I've been to. I don't drink the water unless its bottled.
Ditto.

Carnival Liberty November 30-December 7, 2013
Carnival Liberty
March 2-March 9, 2013

Carnival Legend November 27-December 4, 2011
Carnival Miracle September 28-October 6 2010
Carnival Victory December 9-16, 2007
Carnival Imagination April 28-May 3, 2007
Carnival Fascination April 24-28, 2006
Carnival Fascination July 10-17, 1999
Old November 1st, 2007, 11:13 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Cozumel has it's own water supply away from the mainland. It is very safe to drink.

Best place to eat Pancho's Back Porch, and the restaurant at the park. Both very good.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old November 1st, 2007, 11:26 AM
Passenger

We have eaten on the economy of all ports we have visited. Have never gotten sick, we feel it is safe, but maybe just lucky. We go to carlos n charlies everytime we have been to cozumel, panchos back yard is more in line with restaurant food and quiter. Have eaten in jamacia on the beach and at margaritaville. Have fun and enjoy, you will be fine.
Old November 1st, 2007, 12:10 PM
Admiral

To answer your second question, yes, you can get on and off the ship while it is in port as many times as you want.

We never drink anything off the ship unless it is in a bottle or can.

As far as eating off the ship, never. Anyone with digestive problems (me) or food allergies, should be very wary of eating in the various ports. This is just my opinion, many people have cast iron stomachs and can tolerate almost any kind of cuisine.
Old November 1st, 2007, 02:50 PM
Captain

we never eat the local food and we carry bottle waterwhen we go into port
Old November 1st, 2007, 03:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to punk

I always eat at the ports. I never eat at roadside vendors (I don't do it at home either). I have never had issues. Last year we ate at Cheers in Belize after our cave tubing trip. Normally I would have taken one look at that place and passed by but I was starving and it was a tour thing so I ate. It was delicious food and they served homemade limeaid (I'm sure it wasn't made with bottled water) - it was great and we had no after effects!!
October 2006 Carnival Miracle
October 2009 Carnival Legend
[/
Old November 1st, 2007, 03:45 PM
Admiral

I didn't eat in Freeport or Nassau but that was because the excursions got back in time for lunch on the ship. I am already paying for 3 meals a day and will eat enough so I know I won't get hungry unti lthe next meal or when I'm back on the ship. However, if I was hungry I would have eaten at the Atlantis resort. No problems there, I'm sure!

For my June 2008 Key West/Cozumel cruise, I'm considering an excursion in Cozumel at a beach club and a buffet lunch is included, but I will probably just eat a large enough lunch and will return to the ship by 6, then I will quickly change and go to my 6:15 dinner seating. I won't take chances in Mexico. I will buy bottled water if I get thirsty, though, and make sure they haven't opened the bottle already.
Old November 1st, 2007, 05:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am so glad to see this questions asked!!! It caused arguments, discomfort and hunger pains on our last 2 cruises.... my husband would never touch anything not from the boat (or a well known restaurant). Before Cave tubing with a ship excursion, we were served chicken and rice and beans... it smelled soooo good, but the place (in Belize) wasn't what we were used to... no walls .... well, to the shock of my hubby and kids I tried the dish...delicious and (thank God) no problems...but we always worry. At Xcaret and Chankanaab EVERYONE was eating and drinking except us, and it looked and smelled so good..... maybe next time we'll give it a try.
Old November 1st, 2007, 07:06 PM
Admiral

We ate in a cute little resturant in Encinada, mx. Funny, everything was in spanish of course, but the owner was american so he translated for us....
I didn't care for the enchiladas, but the flautas were really good.
Neither of us got sick, thank God.
It never crossed my mind that we would, I had forgotten about that info. I got on Cruismates... 8)
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old November 1st, 2007, 08:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Heck no, I am paying for meals on the ship, therefore, I eat ont he ship. I will eat a really good breakfast and that will tide me over until early afternoon when I can get back on the ship for a late lunch.

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old November 1st, 2007, 08:33 PM
First Mate

The best meal we've ever had off ship was on our Belize Cave Tubing excursion. The chicken was delicious, melted off the bone and was so tasty. The rice was cooked in coconut milk and was the best we've ever had. My DS, who is the pickiest eater, devoured the entire meal. I've never seen him do that. He loved the hot sauce they had on the table so much that I ended up buying 2 bottles.

Other places like Senor Frogs and Carlos & Charlie's are always great for a fun time. The foods okay but the atmosphere is great! We consider eating out (when time permits) as part of our vacation experience.

As for eating in places that are not safe, not only do you want to not drink the water, but you need to be careful about ice cubes, salad, fresh whole fruit and uncooked vegetables because they wash those with water.

Carnival - Spirit: Alaska (August 8, 2007)
Carnival - Miracle: Exotic Western Caribbean (April 9, 2006)
Royal Caribbean - Explorer of the Seas: Eastern Caribbean (January 2005)
Old November 2nd, 2007, 10:31 AM
Passenger

RobRen's caution about the ice cubes made me laugh--not because it was silly advice (it's great advice, in fact!) but because it reminded me of an excursion my husband and I took took back in '99 in Cozumel. It was a tour/party boat kind of thing, and drinks were served. My husband (never shy) asked the crew if the drinks would be okay because of the ice cubes. "Pancho" grinned wide and said "Yeah, it's American ice." We drank up...figured the 180 proof alcohol would kill anything in the drink anyway. And no, we had no problems (other than being shocked at how smoothly that rum punch went down and snuck up on us!).
Old November 2nd, 2007, 01:44 PM
Passenger

one of the best excursions we went on was in Progresso. It was a horse & buggy ride through the town and various sites, the to a mexican restaurant where the food was out of this world good. We could not stop eating the fresh made flour tortillas.
There was also a mexican restaurant off the beaten path in Cozamel that we went to that was great. I cant remember directions, but it is where all the locals go. Wish I could remember directions for you

Jubilee 2003
Elation 2004
Rhapsody 2005
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Voyager 2008
Old November 2nd, 2007, 04:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

I usually eat on the ship, but have occasionally gotten a drink or so off.

I figure I eat so much on the boat, and am paying for it, why pay extra? But I do want to try food in a lot of places I've been, just never have.
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old November 3rd, 2007, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Of course it is safe to eat in the ports. Many people go there and stay for more than a day in hotels. They have to eat. I stayed a week in Mazatlan and never had a problem eating or drinking anything in the local restaurants. We had a small stove in our unit and bought foodfrom the grocery to cook. No problems there either. We also had lunch on tour this year in Puerto Vallarta, great lunch!! Relax and enjoy the local cuisine.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old November 3rd, 2007, 12:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I agree with Laura. Part of the cruise experience is eating the wonderful food in the ports. You just have to use common sense. If a little boy has taco's off the back of his wagon, I might be a little worried, but other than that you can find wonderful food in the ports.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old November 6th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Captain

Yes, we eat the food, and haven't gotten sick. Most of the food we have eaten has been delicious!!
Old November 6th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo
Cozumel has it's own water supply away from the mainland. It is very safe to drink.

Best place to eat Pancho's Back Porch, and the restaurant at the park. Both very good.
I second these choices.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.