Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 16th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Passenger

First, the probable reason for NOT having a fuel surcharge last year was that the cost increase was relatively temporary and fuel costs were fluctuating up AND down. The cruise lines probably just absorbed the costs knowing this.

Now the costs are up at record levels with no sign of dropping.

Second, the reason that they are not simply adding it to the cost of the cruise is ADVERTISING. For example, they can keep an advertised rate lower knowing that the fuel surcharge will add to the low advertised price (hook). Another example of this is how the various on-line travel sites advertise airfares and break out "taxes and fees" differently. My $250 ticket from Continental was that price UP FRONT. Other sites had tickets advertised at $98, but that was one way and did not include taxes and fees. With taxes and fees, the "cheap" ticket was close to $300 out-the-door. Cruise lines will use this same ploy.

Finally, I'm surprised that this is even an issue at this site because:

1) We all know fuel costs are rising.
2) We all like to cruise.
3) Cruise lines need to make money to stay in business.
Carnival Imagination 11/07 (booked)

Free Cruise Clocks
Old November 16th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieOhio
First, the probable reason for NOT having a fuel surcharge last year was that the cost increase was relatively temporary and fuel costs were fluctuating up AND down. The cruise lines probably just absorbed the costs knowing this.

Now the costs are up at record levels with no sign of dropping.

Second, the reason that they are not simply adding it to the cost of the cruise is ADVERTISING. For example, they can keep an advertised rate lower knowing that the fuel surcharge will add to the low advertised price (hook). Another example of this is how the various on-line travel sites advertise airfares and break out "taxes and fees" differently. My $250 ticket from Continental was that price UP FRONT. Other sites had tickets advertised at $98, but that was one way and did not include taxes and fees. With taxes and fees, the "cheap" ticket was close to $300 out-the-door. Cruise lines will use this same ploy.

Finally, I'm surprised that this is even an issue at this site because:

1) We all know fuel costs are rising.
2) We all like to cruise.
3) Cruise lines need to make money to stay in business.
I dont know that we KNOW its only because of advertising that it is being done this way.

It could also be because then the amount is non commisionable and they dont have to pay TAs on the extra amount. Taxes also they pay on the amount are affected.

RCL added a similar fuel surcharge today, but at least if you are paid in full you didnt get hit.
Old November 16th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowers
It could also be because then the amount is non commisionable and they dont have to pay TAs on the extra amount. Taxes also they pay on the amount are affected.
Point well taken.

Reminds me of why a $1 item on eBay carries an inflated shipping charge... to avoid eBay service charges. However, for the fuel issue, it makes total sense to keep them separate, since they can fluctuate.
Carnival Imagination 11/07 (booked)

Free Cruise Clocks
Old November 16th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman
The way prices jump around for a cruise I wounder why they didn't just add $35 to the price of the cruise for each instead of the fuel surcharge ?? The money all goes to the same place don't matter what it's called. Not a surprise with gas at $3.00 a gallon.
Hopefully so that IF fuel prices go down, they can remove them.

In the meantime, they are still allowed to advertise the same cruise prices in the magazines and on websites that would be a nightmare to change and manage.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old November 16th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro

Earl funny thing you said that you wonder if Carnival will give us back us gas money if the prices drop. We were thinking the very same thing. A couple of us at work who booked cruises all at different times called and asked that exact question to Carnival reps and they couldn't answer the question. Then we asked how come when gas went down we didn't get a discount. They couldn't answer that either.

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old November 17th, 2007, 03:32 PM
First Mate

I just posted on the RCCL thread. I do not know Carnival's contract language, but it is whatever it was when you booked. I would guess Carnival being able to change a contract on their own whim -- only they have to put it in wiriting and sign it -- would be against public policy and against the law if challenged. I think those of you who have paid in full have a particularly strong case, as you have fulfilled your end of the bargain, and you are only waiting performance by Carnival.

In any case, take a look at this. http://myfloridalegal.com/__85256222...=0,norris,1997

"Under the agreements, the cruise lines can no longer charge customers any fees in addition to the advertised initial ticket price except those fees actually passed on by the company to a governmental agency."

I hope others will join us in writing a complaint to the AG of Florida -- you can use the link given and just hit the contact button on the top. Also write or email your state's AG, as you contract is enforceable in your state.

The complaint is not that a fuel surcharge is not justified for NEW bookings, but that it shouldn't be applied to current bookings under deposit unless the contract allowed for it (RCCL'S didn't and I'd guess that Carnival's didn't until the surcharge was imposed), and you should be outraged that it is being charged to bookings which have been paid in full.
Old November 19th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Captain

I have booked 5 cabins for April 2008 on the Fantasy out of New Orleans. On Saturday, I received a letter from the travel agent notifying us that we are being charged a fuel surcharge in the amount ot $25 per person. This applicable only to the first two people in the cabin, so this will cost me another $250.

I understand the surcharge since fuel prices are up, but I don't agree with having them added to cruises that were booked several months in advance of the travel date.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old November 19th, 2007, 08:13 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothin but blue skies
I have booked 5 cabins for April 2008 on the Fantasy out of New Orleans. On Saturday, I received a letter from the travel agent notifying us that we are being charged a fuel surcharge in the amount ot $25 per person. This applicable only to the first two people in the cabin, so this will cost me another $250.

I understand the surcharge since fuel prices are up, but I don't agree with having them added to cruises that were booked several months in advance of the travel date.
Yours is a more complicated problem than RCI's. Our contract was clear that there would be no price increases except for taxes and government fees. Somewhere I have read your contract language which would indicate they could always assess you more. However, Carnival was under the settlement of 1997, brought about by the Fl Atty General because of excessive port fees being added to bills. So I wonder if, given that settlement, Carnival could have had any contract language other than what that settlement called for -- which was no changes in the initial price except for taxes and government fees. Your initial price did not include a fuel surcharge when you booked. In other words, even though they changed the contract language before the assessment, was it legal for them to do that given the settlement?

Even though you have a more complicated situation, I would use the above posted link and file a complaint with the Fl Atty General. It is not going to hurt you, but it could, maybe, help you.
Old November 20th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Captain

Jaxon,
Your response is very interesting. I did look a the link and (maybe I am missing something, or just plain dumb), but I don't quite understand contacting the Florida AG. I live in Alabama, I sail from Louisians and the ships are not US ships. I am not being sarcastic, but would really like to know how my contacting the FL AG is going to help.

I do intend to read Carnival's contract though and, even if it says they can add on, I am going to contact them about this.
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old November 22nd, 2007, 01:57 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Jaxon,
Your response is very interesting. I did look a the link and (maybe I am missing something, or just plain dumb), but I don't quite understand contacting the Florida AG. I live in Alabama, I sail from Louisians and the ships are not US ships. I am not being sarcastic, but would really like to know how my contacting the FL AG is going to help.

I do intend to read Carnival's contract though and, even if it says they can add on, I am going to contact them about this.
Your own state AG should be contacted because the contract can be enforced in your state, and your consumer protection laws may differ. Many of the lines have their primary office in Miami, and the Fl AG had taken up cases regarding them before (including Carnival) -- where a ship is flagged, is not necessarily where the corporation is incorporated, but in any case, most states require a filing within the state where a company does business which gives jurisdiction. I am flying by the seat of my pants a bit here, but that is how I see it.
Old November 25th, 2007, 06:18 PM
First Mate

Quote:

I am new to this forum so hello to everyone. This fuel surcharge is what lead me to this site. I put a group together and booked 35 rooms with Carnival for August of 2008. I understand the need for the fuel surcharge but I don't understand adding it after I have booked the rooms. When I called Carnival about it they told me that they knew people would be upset about it. I was told that if 50 percent of the people canceled that would be okay with them. They know that for each person that cancels someone else would take their place. Like others have said, I will pay the money and continue to cruise.

Read and post cruise reviews

Fascination 01/02
Imagination 07/02
Glory 07/04
Glory 12/04
Valor 12/05
Miracle 08/06
Fascination 10/06
Triumph 06/07
Inspiration 11/07
Destiny 08/08 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 11/09 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 10/10 (VIP Status)
Destiny 10/11 (VIP Status)
Enchantment of the Seas(RC)04/13
Dream 07/13
Old November 26th, 2007, 07:33 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforce95
Quote:

I am new to this forum so hello to everyone. This fuel surcharge is what lead me to this site. I put a group together and booked 35 rooms with Carnival for August of 2008. I understand the need for the fuel surcharge but I don't understand adding it after I have booked the rooms. When I called Carnival about it they told me that they knew people would be upset about it. I was told that if 50 percent of the people canceled that would be okay with them. They know that for each person that cancels someone else would take their place. Like others have said, I will pay the money and continue to cruise.
Wow -- they don't care if 1/2 their pax cancel??? If the lines are so flush with passengers, why do they discount cabins around 60 days out?

Airforce95, Carnival has over 1000 postings on this subject, RCI 1500, Celebrity up to about 500, I think, at the other major cruise message board. I hope you will just not eat it, but also complain about it to the Fl Attorney General's office. You can file a complaint on line -- just google his office.
Old November 27th, 2007, 04:32 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforce95
Quote:

Wow -- they don't care if 1/2 their pax cancel??? If the lines are so flush with passengers, why do they discount cabins around 60 days out?

Airforce95, Carnival has over 1000 postings on this subject, RCI 1500, Celebrity up to about 500, I think, at the other major cruise message board. I hope you will just not eat it, but also complain about it to the Fl Attorney General's office. You can file a complaint on line -- just google his office.
That's a good question. All I know is that the last couple of cruises that we have taken have all been sold out and booked to full capacity. I did file a complaint with the Attorney General's office. Don't know if it will do any good but I filed it anyway. Also Carnival is giving TA's a $10.00 credit for each fuel surchage that they collect.

Fascination 01/02
Imagination 07/02
Glory 07/04
Glory 12/04
Valor 12/05
Miracle 08/06
Fascination 10/06
Triumph 06/07
Inspiration 11/07
Destiny 08/08 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 11/09 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 10/10 (VIP Status)
Destiny 10/11 (VIP Status)
Enchantment of the Seas(RC)04/13
Dream 07/13
Old December 2nd, 2007, 04:28 PM
First Mate

Thanks airforce for filing a complaint.
Here's an interesting twist -- it seems all Canadian travelers on Carnival who paid in full or deposited before Nov 7th, will have the surcharged waived. It appears that some Canadian provincial regulations have come into play, but the line is only saying it has reconsidered.

Meanwhile, over at RCI, "thanks for sailing with us", coupons have reemerged after an absence of at least 3 years. Now, they are handing out new coupons for $50 but breaching contracts with those who had deposited on a cruise prior to the Nov 16th cut off -- and they need the $$?????
Old December 2nd, 2007, 05:21 PM
First Mate

Fuel surcharges are being added to everything in one form or another. We will pay it one way or another. Until the large oil companies are held accountable for their exorbatant profits we all will suffer like it or not.
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old December 2nd, 2007, 08:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Shirley Jones

I filed a complaint about Carnival changing their contract and charging more for my cruise after its already paid in full and I will not be crusing until march .I find it unfair to charge those of us who have paid in full more if they waved it for the Canadians then WHY AREN'T THEY DOING IT FOR THE AMERICANS ? ? ? The only fair option to me would be to emplement the fuel charges to new bookings only .
Conquest 3/10
Ecstasy 6/11
Magic 11/11
Old December 3rd, 2007, 05:12 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirley Jones
I filed a complaint about Carnival changing their contract and charging more for my cruise after its already paid in full and I will not be crusing until march .I find it unfair to charge those of us who have paid in full more if they waved it for the Canadians then WHY AREN'T THEY DOING IT FOR THE AMERICANS ? ? ? The only fair option to me would be to emplement the fuel charges to new bookings only .
I also filed a complaint with the Florida AG and with Carnival, haven't heard a word from either one yet.
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old December 8th, 2007, 01:14 AM
First Mate

Please, if you are so inclined, file a complaint with your own states' Attorney General as well as the Florida AG. So far, we know we have had filings in New Jersey, Illinois, Ohio, Texas and Virginia, as well as Florida. The maximum amount of pressure that we can bring to bear will increase the likelihood that the various cruise lines, that breached contracts by charging their fully paid and/or booked customers before the implementation time, will honor their contracts.

It appears Carnival is waiving the surcharge for Canadians who booked through a Canadian TA or through Carnival directly prior to November 7th, but not if they booked through an American TA. RCI/Celebrity is now putting the surcharge on their European cruisers, but they are giving them until Dec 7th to book (not pay in full) without having to pay -- it will be for new bookings only after that date. Yes, there are more protective consumer laws in Canada and Europe-- but we Americans, who are the bulk of their customers are getting skewered.