Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 7th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Carnival To Institute Fuel Surcharge

Link

Quote:
In response to escalating fuel prices, cruise operator Carnival Corp. and plc said Wednesday that it will begin charging passengers an additional $5 a day. The charge will apply only to the first two guests in a stateroom and will not exceed $70 for the entire voyage. Carnival will begin exacting the charge on all bookings departing on or after Feb. 1, 2008. Carnival said that due to skyrocketing fuel prices, its fuel costs have increased 140% over the past three years, and 50% in just the last seven months. The Carnival conglomerate operates 84 ships worldwide, with another 21 slated to enter service by mid-2012.

Carnival Liberty November 30-December 7, 2013
Carnival Liberty
March 2-March 9, 2013

Carnival Legend November 27-December 4, 2011
Carnival Miracle September 28-October 6 2010
Carnival Victory December 9-16, 2007
Carnival Imagination April 28-May 3, 2007
Carnival Fascination April 24-28, 2006
Carnival Fascination July 10-17, 1999
Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Admiral

I am sure the other lines will follow suit soon. Humans really, really need to find an alternate fuel source and kick the naysayers in the caboose.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old November 7th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Captain

We need a Solar Powered cruise ship...
Of course no air condioning or elevators...
Would also have to add a few sails just in case...

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old November 7th, 2007, 11:29 AM
First Mate

The way prices jump around for a cruise I wounder why they didn't just add $35 to the price of the cruise for each instead of the fuel surcharge ?? The money all goes to the same place don't matter what it's called. Not a surprise with gas at $3.00 a gallon.
Old November 7th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Admiral

Yep,,the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and I were just discussing this very subject on our last cruise. I just got a call from my TA informing me of the added cost for our March 10th cruise. Well, it's all in the cost of doing business for the cruise lines, and I am not surprised at all about this extra charge. Last week the cost of parking at Ft. Lauderdale went up from $12 per day to $15 per day, so everything is going up. Damn,,,pretty soon I'll have to cut back to only 4 cruises per year!!! BUMMER

Ken
"SkyMaster"
Old November 7th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Admiral

Holland America announce the same state ment today also.
I wonder if the price goes down , would they give us 5.00 a day back to us.
Old November 7th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

I disagree with this entirely. Gas has cost more in the past (yes, I know it's climbing) and they hadn't started that. Carnival and whomever else just needs to incorporate this in the per person price...

And I definitely don't like that it only applies to the first and second guests. I have four people in my stateroom in March and we will all be splitting the cost. Not fair to only have two people do it when everyone is paying for the same cruise....

It's time to find another fuel source...
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old November 7th, 2007, 04:02 PM
First Mate

I was wondering why there's no nuclear powered cruise ships? It works great for our military ships, as well as the privately-owned hospital ship Hope, and there's at least one Russian nuclear powered ice breaker.
Old November 7th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Admiral

A nuclear powered cruise ship would be efficient and it would make sense to me. However, there are many people that would NOT cruise on a nuclear powered cruise ship.

I guess for now, we just have to open our wallets a little wider.

Manuel
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old November 7th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Captain

OK, lets give all the outside cabins oars, cut a hole in the outside wall & we can do what the Vikings did...

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old November 7th, 2007, 07:42 PM
First Mate

As long as the oil conglomerates have us by the b---- and coporate greed is the norm we will all suffer the consequences. Like it or not !
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old November 7th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm thinking they don't have nuclear ships because they would have to go in for major inspection/upkeep by international bodies.. Moreover, it could be thought that a terrorist would want to take its fuel rods to make a bomb or even try to cause a meltdown on the ship.. And there are a lot of people who don't like the idea of sleeping 100 feet away from a reactor.

FOCUS:

I think the "fuel surcharge" is bogus. Just give me the price.. Don't start nickel and diming me.
Old November 7th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

FDANG, my next cruise is booked for Feb 3, 2008!!!!! Think they'll give is a break?.....ya, I doubt it too...

No, don't like the nuclear idea at all....it's ingenius at least...

I have to wonder if you are cruisng single they will charge you double?....

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old November 8th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman
The way prices jump around for a cruise I wounder why they didn't just add $35 to the price of the cruise for each instead of the fuel surcharge ?? The money all goes to the same place don't matter what it's called. Not a surprise with gas at $3.00 a gallon.
If they just added the $35 to the price, it would not affect my already booked cruises.

I have been reading that Carnival had a different contract in place when I booked that did not allow them to add the surcharge and then added that language to their contract about being able to add it. That seems odd. Read a link someone got from some "wayback" machine online that showed this language was not in the contracts regarding adding a surcharge. I had booked two Carnival cruises quite a while ago this affects.

Whatever $$$$ they add of course Ill pay it, but like most others wish it only affected any cruises folks booked from now on (new bookings), not already booked cruises. Maybe the TA will forget to add the surcharge, ya think?

Here is another part of the issue.

Quote:
1. Definitions and Scope of Contract

(g) This contract constitutes the entire agreement between Carnival and Guest and supersedes all other agreements, oral or written. Any alteration to any term of this contract must be in writing and signed by Carnival.
I booked back when I saw that there would be fewer ships out of my home port of Galveston when the language that says Carnival may add the fuel surcharge was NOT in the contract that was recently added. It says Carnival had to notify us in writing if the contract changed, which of course was not done.

Someone posted elsewhere they talked to their PVP who said the language was on their site "Bottom of first page "Legal Notices." ", which covers that they were able to change the contract without notice. Just thought Id add this since it does seem to cover Carnival.

As I said, Im not planning on fighting it, maybe hoping the TA forgets to add it lol, but I would never cancel a cruise over such a small amount. Im just following the discussions to see what other people are saying.
Old November 8th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Carnival To Institute Fuel Surcharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rirruto
Link

Quote:
In response to escalating fuel prices, cruise operator Carnival Corp. and plc said Wednesday that it will begin charging passengers an additional $5 a day. The charge will apply only to the first two guests in a stateroom and will not exceed $70 for the entire voyage. Carnival will begin exacting the charge on all bookings departing on or after Feb. 1, 2008. Carnival said that due to skyrocketing fuel prices, its fuel costs have increased 140% over the past three years, and 50% in just the last seven months. The Carnival conglomerate operates 84 ships worldwide, with another 21 slated to enter service by mid-2012.
further , all cruiselines owned by carnival will be putting a fuel surcharge
for cruises afer Feb 1/07

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old November 9th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

I don't think this should surprise anybody! In Southern California the price of gas today is around $3.50 a gallon, diesel is just short of $4 a gallon.

Captain
Old November 9th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Admiral

gas was higher than this last year - why didn't they do it then ?

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old November 9th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Captain

I wasn't really surprised that they added the fuel surcharge. Realistically with the price of a barrel of crude closing in on $100 fuel is becoming more and more expensive for the cruise lines. Like some of the above posters I wish that they had added it only to new bookings and had just incorporated it into the cost but I don't see much difference between this being added to my final bill and when I see all the airport charges on my plane tickets. It's the cost of vacationing and fortunately it wasn't a huge increase. $5 a day I can spend an extra evening at a show and feel like I've made that $5 worth while. Like many others I really feel that we need to explore other fuel options as soon as possible, it will be good for our environment and will decrease our dependency on oil producing countries.

I'm curious if the huge find of oil in Brazil will drop the cost of oil as their increased production should put more barrels out there on the market. Just a thought that maybe this will be short lived, maybe less of a thought and more of a good dream : )
Old November 9th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Shirley Jones
Default fuel surcharge ?

Will it be added to mine if I already have paid for my cruise ? I e-mailed Carnival and have not gotton a reply [/url]
Conquest 3/10
Ecstasy 6/11
Magic 11/11
Old November 9th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Shirley Jones
Default hello me again

Just went and read the new contract Carnival has posted and yes even tho I have paid my cruise in full they can still charge me the fuel sur-charge
Conquest 3/10
Ecstasy 6/11
Magic 11/11
Old November 9th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Beginner

I just went online and checked my account for our TA next October and they have already added the extra charges
Old November 9th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Captain

I just told our friend today about the surcharge that is going with us on the cruise. She said, "They can't do that.....can they??" I said looks like they can and are. lol

The PVP hasnt contacted her or let her know...shouldnt the PVPs at least contact you and call you if you are not on the computer? Our friend is not on a computer at all, so I guessed she had not heard...and nope. Maybe Carnival wouldnt call, just send a new invoice in the mail or what ... to someone who doesnt have email.
Old November 9th, 2007, 10:30 PM
First Mate

I wish they would just increase the fare and call it what it is.

It's not like they are ever going to refund money if/when their costs go down and are we to really think this is temporary??

Remember the fiasco with "port charges" a few years back? We still pay them, they are now just called non-comissionable fees.

I'm thinking this is probably here to stay and itemizing it as a surcharge, in the minds of some people anyway, probably defers the blame or resulting total cruise cost. I guess to some a 7 day cruise "from $399" plus $350 in taxes/fees sounds better than just saying the cruise is $749.

Then there is also the travel agent to consider, adding it as a fee eliminates the line from having to pay commission on it whereas if they just increased the base fare, they would have to.

Either way, I'm still cruising!

Old November 10th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Passenger

I have a question. How much fuel does an average cruise ship have? I know the airlines get fuel at a slightly cheaper rate, not much, but it doesn't have some of the charges you see at the pump.

2nd question. How far can they go on that fuel, do they fuel up every time they come to port? If not, how often. If they are charging $35 per person for a 7 day, at 3000 passengers, that is an extra $105,000 per cruise in a fuel surcharge
Old November 10th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENcruise
I have a question. How much fuel does an average cruise ship have? I know the airlines get fuel at a slightly cheaper rate, not much, but it doesn't have some of the charges you see at the pump.

2nd question. How far can they go on that fuel, do they fuel up every time they come to port? If not, how often. If they are charging $35 per person for a 7 day, at 3000 passengers, that is an extra $105,000 per cruise in a fuel surcharge
The Volendam carries enogh fuel to cruise about 6500 NM.
I think they use about 100 -200 gal of fuel per hour.
Most ships are probably about the same. QE2 , QM2 and QV carry
enough fuel to cruise from the UK to US(NYC) which is about 5000 nm.
On our cruise in 06 the Volendam refuelled at Cartegena because fuel was cheapest. I remember a fuel barge/truck alongside both in Vancouver(start) and San Diego .

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old November 10th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENcruise
I have a question. How much fuel does an average cruise ship have?
I don't know about the average cruise ship, but according to Cunard, the QE2 can hold about a million gallons of fuel and has a cruising range of about 7,500 miles. I would suppose all of the newer ships are in that ballpark.

Cheers, Aidan
Old November 11th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

$3-00 a gallon in the USA? WOW!!

I've no doubt you all have a legitimate gripe over these "extortionate" prices and I wholeheartedly agree with you all.

Please spare a thought for your cousins across the atlantic however, where we in England are paying the equivalent of $10-00 a gallon at the moment.

USA here we come!

Mark
Old November 11th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Admiral

In Canada we are paying about $4.50 US/Gal or $4.00 Ca/Gal
or $1.10 Ca/L ( 4L = 1 US Gal).
The Canadian dollar is currently 1.05Ca= 1.00 US ( .96 US= 1$Ca)

Ships Sailed:

Old November 16th, 2007, 11:04 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
I am sure the other lines will follow suit soon. Humans really, really need to find an alternate fuel source and kick the naysayers in the caboose.
Its happening as I type. All lines will have a surcharge by Feb 2008.
Old November 16th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Admiral

While I understand the need to cover the rising cost of fuel (it's going to affect everything soon), I object to them adding it on after I have paid the cruise in full. Even if technically legal, it definitely violates the intent of contract law.
BTW, cruise ships use a form of fuel that is almost as thick as tar. Otherwise, it would just take too much room to store it. So, their cost per gallon has to be many times what we pay for gas for cars.
Marty