Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 22nd, 2007, 09:36 PM
Familiar Face

Default Fuel Supplement

If I get one more email from Carnival about wanting more money for fuel, I am going to Cancel! Just kidding, I am not going to cancel but I have received 6 emails about this from Carnival already and am getting tired of it.
Dave
2008 Valor (25th anniversary)
2007 Conquest
2006 Valor
2005 Triumph
1983 Carnivale (Honeymoon)
Sponsored Links
Old November 24th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Familiar Face

I take it none of you have comments about the extra money the cruise lines want after you have payed for your cruise and thought that was the final price. Would you pay more for a vehicle after you agreed to a final price with your dealer?
Dave
Old November 24th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Passenger

Well i dont know if there is anything we can do about it anyway. Unfortunately we are living in a world of $100/barrel fuel and when the ships use 150-200 gallons per mile, they had to do something. Should they have done it another way? possibly, but they had to implement something and they made it go out 3 months before starting it. Should they have grandfathered in the customers who had already paid? Probably, but they didn't. Airlines don't do this, but then again, airline prices change everyday, where cruise prices are very steady. Everyday all of us have to pay a fuel surcharge for FedEx or UPS, food goes up in price because gas is more for the trucks to deliver the food, etc etc, it goes on and on. All these we dont see the company add on a charge after the fact but that is the way the cruise lines have done it.
Old November 25th, 2007, 08:42 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete

When prices go down, everyone wants to jump on the band wagon, even though they have "paid their deposit and locked in a price".

We all know fuel is going bonkers. The extra $$ are showing up everywhere.

I personally would be fine with this energy tax. If the lines didn't pass it directly along to the customer, it would show up elsewhere.
Past Cruises: Explorer of the Seas 2008 Explorer of the Seas 2007 Carnival Victory 2007 Explorer of the Seas 2006 Legend 2005 Miracle 2004 Disney Wonder 2004; Pride 2003 Legend 2002 Disney Wonder 2002 Destiny 2001 Victory 2000 Triumph 1999 Jubilee 1998 Imagination 1997 Imagination 1996 Fascination 1995 Ecstasy 1993 Fantasy 1990 Jubilee 1990 NCL Seaward 1989 Jubilee 1988
Old November 25th, 2007, 05:50 PM
First Mate

I called Carnival about this. There answer to me was that if 50 percent of the people canceled their cruise that would not be a problem for them. They feel that for each person that canceled someone else would take their place.

Read and post cruise reviews

Fascination 01/02
Imagination 07/02
Glory 07/04
Glory 12/04
Valor 12/05
Miracle 08/06
Fascination 10/06
Triumph 06/07
Inspiration 11/07
Destiny 08/08 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 11/09 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 10/10 (VIP Status)
Destiny 10/11 (VIP Status)
Enchantment of the Seas(RC)04/13
Dream 07/13
Old November 25th, 2007, 06:07 PM
First Mate

The fuel surcharge probably should have been included in the price of the cruise , that way no one would have been the wiser. The next time your are in a foreign port or Caribbean island check their fuel costs. We Americans are an arrogant selfcentered bunch aren't we? We all drive monster fuel guzzling automobiles and expect to pay a mere pittance for our fuel. Until we learn how to manage on less, the fat cats will get fatter and we are toast. Lets face it the days of cheap fuel are gone never to return. Sorry to seem so glum but the facts are what they are. Enjoy yourselves on your cruises and kiss the extra $35.00 a week goodbye after all it's still cheaper to pay the surcharge than drink one extra starbucks a day
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old November 26th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Captain

I transferred my two cruises I booked thru a PVP to a TA and still have not heard a peep. So, thats why I can't comment, maybe they wouldnt bill me extra?

I asked a friend on RCI and his TA hasnt contacted him either.
Old November 26th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowers
I transferred my two cruises I booked thru a PVP to a TA and still have not heard a peep. So, thats why I can't comment, maybe they wouldnt bill me extra?

They will get around to you or at the very least add it to your sail and sign.

To date I have never received an email from Carnival re: fuell surcharge even though I have a Carnival cruise booked for June, 2008 and they have already added the fuel surcharge to my remaining balance owed.

I have two cruises booked for February, 2008 with RCCL. One with an Internet TA and one directly with RCCL. (I received an email from the Internet TA re: the surcharge but nothing from RCCL directly.) When I pull of either of these reservations, neither have had the fuel surcharge added to my balance due yet. However, I do know they plan to add it sometime before I am done with my cruise.

In other words, we will all pay it. I don't mind. I believe the cruiselines have bared the burden of the raising fuel costs for as long as they could and now have no choice but the pass these higher costs on to their passengers. Perhaps, one day, the cost of fuel will go back down and the cruiselines can suspend or eliminate the fuel surcharge.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old November 27th, 2007, 03:16 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
Quote:

They will get around to you or at the very least add it to your sail and sign.

To date I have never received an email from Carnival re: fuell surcharge even though I have a Carnival cruise booked for June, 2008 and they have already added the fuel surcharge to my remaining balance owed.

I have two cruises booked for February, 2008 with RCCL. One with an Internet TA and one directly with RCCL. (I received an email from the Internet TA re: the surcharge but nothing from RCCL directly.) When I pull of either of these reservations, neither have had the fuel surcharge added to my balance due yet. However, I do know they plan to add it sometime before I am done with my cruise.

In other words, we will all pay it. I don't mind. I believe the cruiselines have bared the burden of the raising fuel costs for as long as they could and now have no choice but the pass these higher costs on to their passengers. Perhaps, one day, the cost of fuel will go back down and the cruiselines can suspend or eliminate the fuel surcharge.
I was hoping the TA would pay the extra amount, ya never know. I know of some TAs who decided to pay the fuel surcharge.

I cant see Carnival adding it to my sign and sail pass because the TA didnt collect it, somehow Carnival has to be paid before the cruise.

My cruises are further out than yours, I had to cancel my closer in cruises due to personal matters. The ones I am being hit on are Sept 08 and Jan 09, way far out.
Old November 27th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Captain

I have already received the letter from my TA on the 5 cabins I have booked for April 2008. If I remember correctly, the surcharge does not affect cruises sailing before March 2008, so the February cruise would not be hit by the surcharge.

I understand that fuel is going up - up - up, but still think that the surcharge should have been grandfathered in and not charged to cruises that were already paid or deposited.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old November 27th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Admiral

The Carnival fuel charge is effective on all cruises 2/1/08 and later.
Old November 27th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Passenger

I'm extremely ticked about this. Yes, the price of oil is up, yes, we Americans expect cheap gas, yea; Brits have it bad, blah, blah, blah.

The simple point is I had a contract with Carnival, and have paid the bill in full. Now, Carnival is coming back and telling me that they didn't charge me enough, now had over the extra $80.

If I run a cleaning business and I contract out my services to a customer, I then do not go back to him and say the price of soap has gone up, and for me to keep my profit margin the same, you have to pay me more.

What I would do is recalculate my expenses and start charging my next customer the increased amount.

I would cancel this cruise, but my wife really wants to go, so I've already made up my mind that several things will change on this cruise. A couple less drinks per day, no souvenir photographs, booking a tour through a local agency instead of Carnival. Ultimately, it will be more than the fuel surcharge is.

And this will be my last Carnival cruise.

:evil:
Old November 27th, 2007, 01:53 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointyhead
I'm extremely ticked about this. Yes, the price of oil is up, yes, we Americans expect cheap gas, yea; Brits have it bad, blah, blah, blah.

The simple point is I had a contract with Carnival, and have paid the bill in full. Now, Carnival is coming back and telling me that they didn't charge me enough, now had over the extra $80.

If I run a cleaning business and I contract out my services to a customer, I then do not go back to him and say the price of soap has gone up, and for me to keep my profit margin the same, you have to pay me more.

What I would do is recalculate my expenses and start charging my next customer the increased amount.

I would cancel this cruise, but my wife really wants to go, so I've already made up my mind that several things will change on this cruise. A couple less drinks per day, no souvenir photographs, booking a tour through a local agency instead of Carnival. Ultimately, it will be more than the fuel surcharge is.

And this will be my last Carnival cruise.

:evil:
Welcome to the folks who get it. It's not about the cost of fuel, it's about a contract. It took me awhile to actually see a copy of yours as it existed before the change. Many, thousands have been given as an estimate, are writing the Florida Attorney General (you can do it on line, just google) to complain. There has been an investiagtion which has been opened. Recently a poster found a quote from the RCCL CEO admitting to a legal problem with enacting these back in August 2007 because of the 1997 suit settlement on the port taxes which were illegaly charged to customers (that settlement included Carnival). In my humble opinion, people can roll over, or fight back -- it takes a tiny bit of time to email a complaint, and come what may, you at least get the satisfaction that
you didn't just "take it." If things go well, you don't get charged or you get a refund.
Old November 27th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Captain

Jaxon, I feel the same way about this. It is not the fuel cost increase. It is about the change in the contract. As far as it being your last Carnival cruise, it is my understanding that the other lines are adding this as well.

I too, will be cutting back on what I spend on board with Carnival to compensate for this charge. There will be 15 of us in my group and we will all be cutting back.
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old November 27th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothin but blue skies
As far as it being your last Carnival cruise, it is my understanding that the other lines are adding this as well.

Yes, but I didn't have a contract with the other cruise lines. Only Carnival. And to add to this debacle, I get the first and only notice from Carnival as a bill on the 26th, stating that it was an important notice as of November 21, and shows a final payment date of November 20!

So I'm past due on a bill that was due the day before it was printed and 6 days before I recieved it.

And no emails or phone calls from Carnival about this.

I'm calling my PVP tonight to complain and to get the email address for Vicki L. Feeed, CTC, Senior Vice President-Sales and Guest Services.
Old November 27th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to momofcandj

My hubby booked our cruise directly with the cruise line. We get emails from a PVP though. Ive emailed her in the past and never got a response, possibly due to the cruise being booked through Carnival and not her.

Anyway I logged into our Carnival information and there is the 50$ fuel charge on there for our 5 day cruise.

It states it is due by May for our July cruise. We had the cash so we paid in full already for the cruise however now we have a 50$ bill.

Is Carnival going to get around to telling us about this, or is it just something that they expect us to figure out and pay ourselves?

If my mom wouldn't have mentioned seeing something about it I would never have logged in and checked to see if it was there.

Kari
Old November 27th, 2007, 04:29 PM
First Mate

Quote:

Carnival is giving TA's a $10.00 credit for each fuel surcharge that they collect. Some TA's are passing that savings on to their customers some are not.

Fascination 01/02
Imagination 07/02
Glory 07/04
Glory 12/04
Valor 12/05
Miracle 08/06
Fascination 10/06
Triumph 06/07
Inspiration 11/07
Destiny 08/08 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 11/09 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 10/10 (VIP Status)
Destiny 10/11 (VIP Status)
Enchantment of the Seas(RC)04/13
Dream 07/13
Old November 28th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to kiteflyer

Well, at least you were contacted by Carnival. I found out about the extra fee from reading messages here. Tried to talk with someone with Carnival and they woldn't tell me anything because I couldn't remember the PIN number for our cruise scheduled for March 1st. We will pay it and get on with the cruise and enjoy.

Kiteflyer
Old November 28th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Beginner

We already pre-paid our cruise also and if approached for more money for fuel unfortunetly the crew will suffer because tipping is still not mandatory.
Old November 29th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCraig
We already pre-paid our cruise also and if approached for more money for fuel unfortunetly the crew will suffer because tipping is still not mandatory.
I would still tip the crew, because we usually have very good service with our wait staff and room stewards. I will definately cut out the pictures though and bring my own alcohol and use their OJ and ice.
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old November 29th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Beginner

I understand what you are saying, however we usually never buy the pictures as I do my own photography, we save up for 3 years to cruise and only have so much for spending money and pre-determined avg. tips, than after we have made full cruise passage payment they hit us up for more-well it has to come from somewhere and there is no upping the budget so yes we will also bring on our own alcohol and hope there is enough left over to tip.....