Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 24th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default Is Port Everglades FLL

Is Port Everglades and Fort Lauderdale the same thing?? If I cruise out of Port Everglades, do I book a flight to FLL? Do I get a hotel in FLL? I'm confused (or can you tell).
Old November 24th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Is Port Everglades FLL

FLL is the "airport code" for Fort Lauderdale. Same place as Fort Lauderdale...just a lot faster to type FLL. Fort Lauderdale is the closest city to Port Everglades
Old November 24th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

Cheryl,
It's as jleq said.
Port Everglades is so close to the airport (FLL) that you can actually see the cruiseships from the airport terminals. They are THAT close to each other. To answer your question, yes you can book both flights and hotels in the same area of FLL. Also, it is within easy driving distance to Miami, maybe 25-30 miles or so. We've cruised both out of Port Everglades and Miami and many times we fly to FLL because flights from Los Angeles to FLL are dirt cheap, last moth we flew cross-country for $98 (each way and taxes included on AA) whereas flights to Miami are usually $175 each way!
Renting a car is cheap in both FLL & Miami, last month it only cost us like $30 for a day's rental, taxes and fees included and no drop-off charges between FLL & MIA.
If ya need any more help, fire away.

Captain
Old November 24th, 2007, 05:23 PM
First Mate

Captain where did you rent the car from and where did you return it to.I will be in Ft. Lauderdale in February, but cruisng out of Miami.

Cheryl, I stayed at Best Western Oceanside it was walking distance to the ocean , and you could see the top of the cruise ships pull in at a distance, it was very nice.
Destiny
Norwegian Majesty
Legend
Legend
Valor
Valor again Yahoo!
Old November 24th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

Thanks everyone! And Captain.......where DO you find such deals on flights!!!! I am NEVER that lucky!! do you book way ahead of time, or wait until closer to flight date?
Old November 24th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Passenger

Gail F... I will let Captain answer for his rental, but in Sept, my wife and I flew to FLL and rented a car, cruising out of Miami also. It was $30, in fact the day before when i was trying to decide, the price was $26, but i waited 1 day! We used Thrifty because they offered a free shuttle to the Port of Miami, So we rented, took a nice drive down A1A along the coast and returned to the Miami airport site (it is slightly off-site), they pointed us directly to the shuttle bus and we were off 10 minutes later, very smooth. Some of the car rental places do not have a shuttle, so i would call them before to make sure. It was free with the rental.
Old November 24th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

All the car rental agencys are now at rthe Fll airport.....check out this site:
http://www.broward.org/airport/

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 25th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Admiral

I used Thrifty also. The system between Port of Miami, Miami airport, FLL, and Port Everglades is a snap. They have it all figured out.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old November 25th, 2007, 03:00 AM
Admiral

Default Cheap flights

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylroy
where DO you find such deals on flights
I also fly from Los Angeles....and I use the site below to look for flights. It won't sell you a flight. However, Kayak points you to dozens of places that will sell the tickets. For my forthcoming Transatlantic, it told me of one site selling tickets [on a major airline] at a fraction of other places selling the exact same ticket.

http://www.kayak.com
Old November 25th, 2007, 07:51 AM
First Mate

Port everglades and Fort Lauderdale are like maybe two miles apart. Yes FLL is Fort Lauderdale.
We always fly in to Fort Lauderdale the day before we cruise.
We always stay at a hotel that will pick us up at the airport and take
us to the hotel and then to the ship the next day..
We always have such a nice time when there..
Lots of nice places to stay.

April 26th 2008 Liberty
sammy
Old November 25th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

Gail,
At the port of Miami, we rented with Dollar, they will pick you up at the cruisehip terminal and take you to their Miami airport facility, we dropped off the car at Fort Lauderdale airport the same evening for our flight to LAX. From FLL airport there is a complimentary shuttle which will take you to the cruisehip terminals at Port Everglades. Here is a link to a post I where I had listed all the car rental companies and their pickup policies at the port of Miami:

http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=584754

Cheryl,
For the last 4-5 years or so, we always book our cruises last-minute. If you are flexible with travel dates, book last, last-minute and save yourself a ton of dough! As regards flights, most times last-minute air deals are real hard to find but not impossible. But when a last-minute cruise and air deal comes together, boy, I tell, ya, the money you can save. Our San Diego to Miami thru the Panama Canal on the NCL SUN last month cost us a whopping $849 (port charges & taxes included) each for the cruise + plus $98 (taxes included) each for a one-way flight from FLL to LAX, also booked last minute on AA.com, and that was an 18-day cruise! Dec 06 we took an 11-day Hawaii and Fanning Island cruise out of Honolulu for $618 each, that inlcuded all taxes, fees and port charges PLUS return flights from LAX.
As for the airfares, I find that most times I find the best deals on the airlines' own websites although I must say that I have also booked flights thru www.vayama.com at less than the cheapest published rates. Another site I like to use is www.farecompare.com and also www.sidestep.com

Hope you both find the above info useful.

Captain
Old November 25th, 2007, 10:49 AM
First Mate

Cheryl -

When the Paradise was homeported in Miami, we would fly into FLL the day before, stay overnight at the Airport Comfort Inn (free shuttle), then shuttle back to the airport the next morning to pick up the Carnival shuttle to the port.

This past January, we took a cruise on the Carnival Liberty and basically did the same thing - except that we planned to took the shuttle directly from the hotel to the Port. We eventually paid for a taxi because the hotel shuttle was overwhelmed, but it was simplicity nonetheless.

Happy Cruising

MTSFP
05/03 Smokefree Paradise
08/04 Smokefree Paradise (8 days due to Francis)
01/07 Carnival Liberty
11/07 Carnival Freedom Transatlantic
05/08 Carnival Liberty
12/09 Carnival Pride
06/10 Carnival Glory
Old November 25th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to moniqueh
Default hotels in fort lauderdale

Before you book your room in Fort Lauderdale, be carefull about the cab fare. We had booked a room that had airport hotel in the caracteristics. Finding the rate too good to be true, the next day I called the FLL cab company, only to find out that the cab fare to this ''airport'' hotel would be,,,, 50$ EACH WAY!! This was confirmed by a nice man at the hotel. I called the local company that booked me, only to find out that they were Travelocity! I called to cancel because I wanted a hotel closer to the port,,, At least get a nice room for the 100$ MORE!!,, Even if they quoted the hotel being at 8 miles from the airport instead of the actual 25, they refused to cancel my reservation without the 25$ cancellation charge. But, IF I booked another room through them,, So be careful,, Finally, we chose the Econolodge fly/cruise for 129$ a night. We get free shuttle from airport and to cruise. Let me know if you have any other questions

Monique