Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 7th, 2007, 01:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Going on Fantasy during Mardi Gras...how is it?

I just discovered the Jan 26 cruise we booked is actually during Mardi Gras (spelling?). Does it make the drive in and out of port difficult and is there any helpful hints anyone can provide if so?
Carnival Celebration 03/06
Carnival Fantasy 12/06
Carnival Fantasy 04/07
Carnival Glory 10/07
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2008
Carnival Fascination Oct 2008
Carnival Holiday April 2009
Carnival Dream Dec 2009
Carnival Triumph Jan 2010
Carnival Dream May 2010
Carnival Elation Jan 2011
Carnival Triumph May 2011
Carnival Fascination Feb 2012
Carnival Conquest 12/09/12
Carnival Fascination 01/06/13
Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Beginner

I am also booked on this cruise. I booked the same cruise last year at Mardi Gras, but the cruise was canceled once we were on board as a barge hit the ship coming into port the morning we were to sail.
It was not hard getting around getting to the ship to board, as that is not as big a weekend as the next weekend. There was a long line waiting to drop off passengers at the terminal, and that took a while., even though we were there early.
Since the cruise was canceled, I was able to see more of New Orleans that see what it was like during that time, and it was not really crowded the first weekend.
When we come back from the cruise, that will be getting into the big weekend, and it will be a lot different, but a lot of the traffic does not start until that Friday

We booked a hotel though Carnival in New Orleans to stay for the weekend, much cheaper to go though Carnival during Mardi Gras than getting it on our own, and am excited to get to see Mardi Gras for the second time.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 02:23 PM
Beginner

Howdy Gail,

Until a couple months ago I was living in New Orleans. Coincidentally one of my good friends was on the cruise that hit the barge last year at that time.

Depending on where you stay you may or may not be affected by MG. There are a couple hotels near the convention center/cruise terminal that would keep you in the safe area unless you are there during one of the balls at the convention center.

If you are in town, go to the parades. They are truly the best free show on earth. If you want a more sedate version go up into the Garden District on St. Charles to watch them, if you want more of a drunken debuachery experience, watch them on Canal.

If you need more info, let me know.

Man I wish I was going to be there this year. I really miss it. I worked in Canal Place on Can St and could watch the parades out my window.

Doug