Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 7th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Admiral

Default Miami "art deco" post-cruise excursion

has anyone been on this post-cruise excursion? I was in the miami area many years ago for work for a week, and was able to do a drive by ont he way out to dinner one night with my co-workers, but it is worth doing this drive during the morning? I thnk they stop at a beach for a while - anyone know how long? I want something to do before my late-afternoon flight home. Thanks!

We have about 12 inches of snow on the ground here in the Chicago area from Tuesday's storm and another small one last night and are expecting some more Saturday night. I'm having vivid daydreams about my cruise 4 months ago to keep me warm!

Michelle
Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

Michelle,
rent a car from Dollar for about $30 for a day, including taxes/fees and drive around Miami/South Beach. We did just that in October and stopped by and see all the fabulous art deco buildings. It's a very easy drive from Dollar's airport location (they will pick you up at the cruiseship terminal).

Captain
Old December 7th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Captain

Bring money to shop, fabulous stores in South Beach. I think South Beach is almost known more for its night life than the deco buildings. Would be interesting to do it as a tour where someone can tell you the history of all the buildings. If I was on my own, Id do the excursion.

I lived in the area, so Iv only done it on my own too, sorry, but thought at the time it would be more interesting to be with a tour.
Old December 7th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Admiral

I'd rather do the excursion as they will get me to the airport, I won't have to worry about finding my way around, and I will be able to look around and enjoy the sights rather than just drive. I'm always the driver at home, so to be the sight-seeing passenger is a rare treat for me!

I'm not planning to shop, just to enjoy the architecture and the beach stop that is included.

I also like the idea of finding out the history of the area/buildings. I Love art deco.
Old December 7th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

if you are fan of at deco at all then I would say it is worth it, especially if they also get you to the airport. The buildings are really interesting and there is no place else like it anywhere.

If you can, go inside the Delano hotel. It is at 17th street & the beach probably close to where they will drop you off for shopping.
Old December 7th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to MsShel330

My family and I did this tour in summer of 06; they show you the sights from a bus driving through Miami and then they take you to South Beach and you are dropped off for a little while (about 2 hours) to see the sights on your own. After that you are taken to the airport. I forget the name of the street that we were dropped off on but it was right off of Ocean Drive. It was definitely worthwhile.
Old December 8th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
if you are fan of at deco at all then I would say it is worth it, especially if they also get you to the airport. The buildings are really interesting and there is no place else like it anywhere.

If you can, go inside the Delano hotel. It is at 17th street & the beach probably close to where they will drop you off for shopping.
Paul, thanks, I will add the Delano to my list of "things not to miss"
Old December 8th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsShel330
My family and I did this tour in summer of 06; they show you the sights from a bus driving through Miami and then they take you to South Beach and you are dropped off for a little while (about 2 hours) to see the sights on your own. After that you are taken to the airport. I forget the name of the street that we were dropped off on but it was right off of Ocean Drive. It was definitely worthwhile.
Thanks MsShel, it sounds like a blast!
Old December 8th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I am an architechture buff, and this tour would certainly win my vote. I toured the South Beach area, before it became trendy, & when lots of fabulous places were still there. We did a waking tour, and went into the courtyard of the apartment building, which became part of Gianni Versace's home.

If you can spend some time viewing these little jewels of buildings and get the beach thrown in, do it;)

If anyone is interested, every January, on the Martin Luter King weekend, they close the Ocean Drive to traffic, have vendors, great food, entertainment, tours, etc..I have loved going, It's a 4 day weekend party.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator