Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 9th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to crabby apple
Default Carry on your own luggage?

Called Carnival today and while on hold heard that you can carry on your own luggage if it is under a certain size? I am sure this eliminates the chance of loss or big delays? Thoughts? Anyone do this? Thinking we can spend that time before sailing getting all 'settled' in instead of waiting for luggage with nothing?

1st- 1998 to South and Central America, don't even remember the cruise line!
2nd-Celebration with our son 12/07
3rd-Glory with our son 12/08
Sponsored Links
Old December 9th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Familiar Face

This is from Carnival's website :

Are There Restrictions on What We Can Bring Aboard?

Ticket Contract: Page 44. (a) Each fully paid adult guest will be allowed an unlimited amount of baggage free of charge. Baggage means only trunks, valises, satchels, bags, hangers and bundles with their contents consisting of only such wearing apparel, toilet articles and similar personal effects as are necessary and appropriate for the purpose of the journey.

X-Ray Security Machines for security purposes, carnival limits the size of hand-carry luggage to 24"X 16", which is the dimension of the opening of the X-ray security machine (similarto those used at the airport); there is no measurement for length as the hand-carry luggage will lay flat on the conveyer belt. Luggage larger than 24"X 16" will not be permitted through the security machine and must be checked-in with a curbside porter.

Safety Precautions due to "Safety Precautions", the following items are not permitted onboard:
Irons
Heating Pads
Candles

Rick

Old December 9th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Any regular sized luggage will not fit through the scanners, basically just carry-on size, very much like the major airlines. Its very easy to drop off luggage, hand them over to the porters, tip them a few dollars per bag and either board the ship, or sight see and then return to the ship and board. You can also go through the boarding process and get off the ship and come back if you wish.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 9th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

We are boarding in JAX, we go there all the time. Just was trying to think of a way of expiditing it. It says on directions to lock bags? That is very different than airlines!

Old December 9th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Admiral

whem my son and I cruised Sensation in July, we only took one carry-on bag each. no lost luggage to worry about (we had connecting flights)and we rolled our bags onto the ship and off of it ourselves. No struggling to find our bags among hundreds of others.

I'm also cruising with oine bag for my Fascination solo cruise in June 08. I will be bringing even less clothes.

I will roll it onto the ship. roll it into my room (I'll put it under the bed and leave a post it for the steward so they know I've done that) so it doesn't get stolen) and then head for the Lido deck for lunch. Last time, we kept the bags with us as we strolled through the ship. Big mistake.

I will only be bringing 2 pairs of shorts, 3 tank tops for the day, 1 pair of white pants for evenings, and 3 camisole tops for the evenings. Plus a dress for formal night. Sneakers, sandals and flip flops and swimsuit. 3 pairs of panties and 3 pairs of socks. I will wash the day's panties and socks in the sink each night.
Old December 9th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Captain

We always dress in a nice casual on the trip to the port so we don't need to change clothes for the dinning room...
On our carry-on I pack a change of undies, tooth brush, shaver..etc...
This way I can take a quick shower & have everything I need without our larger luggage being there....
A also carry-on my Canon 20D & different lens....

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old December 9th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

GOOD IDEA! We leave at 4pm..........but they probably won't serve lunch on there I bet, huh? So if we board early will they have access to the pool etc right away before we take off? IT says we can board around 130pm. Should we plan on eating before we get there or do they have set up when you arrive that early? I think we will just roll ours on also. Have laundry detergent already. I wonder if it will be humid or dry enough to dry clothing in cabin? If not there are dryers I have read.

Do they give you your key right off? So, when you drop it in the room it is safe then right?

Do rooms have fridges?

Old December 9th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Captain

Usually you can board the ship between 11:30 and 12. You can't go to your cabin until about 1. On our last cruise they had the fire doors shut so you couldn't sneak into your cabin before that. You will be issued your sail and sign card, which is also your room key before you board the ship. Lunch will be available on the Lido (pool) deck. Most rooms do NOT have fridges. You can hang some clothes on the pull out cord that is in the shower. I hang my swim suit there and it usually dries overnight.

AKcruiser
21 days till our New Years cruise on the Valor
Old December 9th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Admiral

For any cruise of 5 days or more, my solution to the stress of worrying about lost luggage is to pack two pieces of luggage. At least one is under the 24" limit. In this smaller piece of luggage is what I plan to wear the first two days of the cruise, including clothing, including nighties, underwear, shoes and swimwear. This piece of luggage stays with me from the time I leave my home until the time I get to my cabin. I unpack this and then go and enjoy my cruise. This way, I am not sitting around waiting for clothing that I need any time soon. The second luggage is slightly larger which holds the rest of my clothing and my toiletries.

In other words, I split my clothing between the two pieces of luggage and keep one with me, carrying it onboard the ship myself. (I try to keep the smaller luggage as lightweight as possible since I have to lug it around with me until I can get into my cabin.)

However, on most cruises, all luggage is delivered by 6:00 p.m.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old December 9th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

ok, since there are three of us maybe we can just pack three small ones! I don't want to be stuck walking around with them though, haha

Old December 11th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Admiral

actually I learned from watching other cruisers on my first cruise in July/August 07 that even though they don't want you in the rooms till 1:30 as they are still cleaning up fro the prior passengers, you can quicvkly go in, leave your luggage and then head up to the Lido deck. I will be doing that this time with my carry on - I will leave it under one of the beds and perhaps lock it with a chain so they don't think it was a prior passenger's and lug it off the ship mistakenly. I'll also leave a big post it on the mirror over the desk letting them know I did that.
Old December 11th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

If we cruise at 4pm I really doubt we would even want to board before 130pm. Does it take that long to get everyone boarded?

Old December 11th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabby apple
If we cruise at 4pm I really doubt we would even want to board before 130pm. Does it take that long to get everyone boarded?
I dont know about everyone else, but we eat a light breakfast and are on board by Noon and go to the buffet. I have never been on any cruiseship that the lunch was not ready. Sometimes the cabins are not ready, RCL ships dont allow you into the cabins until 1 pm, so we keep the one carryon with us until we can drop it off at the cabin. Its not that big of a deal. Its on wheels. One person stays with the carryon and the other person fills plates.

I do think if the ship leaves the dock at 4 pm (which sounds early?) you are supposed to be on board 2 hours ahead of time. You will have to have muster drill before the ship pulls out.
Old December 11th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Passenger

crabby apple . . . I may have missed this somewhere, but when are you cruising?

We leave at 4 pm as well for our cruise. I was wondering the same thing about lunch and such. Glad you asked!
Old December 11th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Captain

We have always checked most of our luggage but we do have a rolling carry-on bag with a few essentials for the first evening, just in case luggage is late and we want to freshen up or change clothes. I also put our meds and jewelry in the carry-on instead of checking it in.

We like to board by noon and usually don't have a long wait. Even though the cabins are not ready, we have always been able to duck in, drop our carry-on bag in the closet and let the cabin steward know what we are doing. We then head to the lido deck and tour the ship. The only time we have been unable to do this was on our last cruise in October on the Holiday. We had been on this ship several times and always been able to drop our bag in the cabin. This time, they had closed off the heavy doors between the corridors and the stairwell/elevator areas and we could not even drop offf our bag. We had to drag it around with us for a couple of hours until 2:00.

It seems that each time we sail the Holiday the boarding and debarkation procedures are different and they seem to be slower to disembark than any other ship we have been on.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old December 11th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbluebomber
crabby apple . . . I may have missed this somewhere, but when are you cruising?

We leave at 4 pm as well for our cruise. I was wondering the same thing about lunch and such. Glad you asked!
Saturday !! wooohoo!