Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 11th, 2007, 10:08 AM
First Mate

Default Guaranteed cabin question

We have a guaranteed cabin booked for our March 15 cruise on the Triumph, and I was wondering if anyone had any details on doing this. Normally we pick our cabin, mostly inside, but this time we saved a fair amount by going with the guaranteed inside. There are four of us (me, wife, daughters). I figured the only way a "guaranteed" cabin would be worse than an inside for 4 is it might be an inside for 4 over the engine room. Fortunately, that's not a major problem for me as I sleep with earplugs anyhow due to the wife's snoring.

So when do we find out our cabin number? When we check in, or some time before we sail? What might be the chances of an upgrade to a higher deck or outside? We've sailed exclusively on Carnival brands, 3 times on HAL, 3 on Princess, 2 on Carnival (if that helps us any).
Sponsored Links
Old December 11th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Wiith a guarantee your cabin assignment can be set anywhere from 60 days prior to day of sailing.

The chances of an upgrade are entirely dependant on how well the ship is sailing.... particularly if there is higher demand for the category of cabin you booked, and they choose to upgrade you.

Just my theory here.... but I think you are more likely to get upgraded if you're a first time Carnival cruiser, than a repeater. If you're a repeater you're already a loyal customer, if you're new they want to "hook" you
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 11th, 2007, 02:32 PM
First Mate

Interesting. Well, I'll make sure I look for this thread and post an answer whenever we find out what our cabin is... Thanks!
Old December 11th, 2007, 03:24 PM
First Mate

Kuki
That is not what I wanted to hear as I am already hooked and carnival knows it !!!! lol

I booked a 9A for my first week of a back to back but a quarantee for the second week to save money. I know I will not have the same room as the second week its already sold out, .for that spot ... I was hoping, but thats o.k.
They only have 47 more balconies left to sell, will i get one of those or is my room aready set aside????? Does anyone know this answer
I am a balcony guarantee second week, but picked my room for the first.
Thanks
Destiny
Norwegian Majesty
Legend
Legend
Valor
Valor again Yahoo!
Old December 11th, 2007, 05:27 PM
First Mate

Carny will take care of you. We just got the room number with 39 days to go for the Freedom but not for the Miracle 46 days to go for a BtoB. One of these days it will show up.
Old December 11th, 2007, 05:41 PM
First Mate

My experience with guarantees is based on six cruises with Carnival using this process - the only cruise that I have ever chosen my cabin on was my first.

On five of the six cruises, I did not know my cabin until we arrived at the airport for the transfer. We were issued gray TBA luggage tags and, when we checked in with the airport greeter, they were able to give us our cabin assignment. Mind you, these cruises were all in the era of PAPER documents.

This last cruise (the Carnival Freedom Transatlantic), we had a tentative room assignment online probably sixty days pre-cruise that did not change. The ship was basically sold out (we had over 2900 passengers on the cruise).

As far as upgrades, every one of my category guarantees have been upgraded in some manner. Five of the six (four on the Paradise and our Carnival Liberty cruise) were true category upgrades (inside to outside twice and outside to balcony suite on the Paradise; outside to outside balcony on the Carnival Liberty). The Carnival Freedom was booked as an outside balcony guarantee and we got an 8C cabin for a price that was lower than the 8A when we booked.

I agree with Kuki that your chances of upgrades are totally dependent upon the occupancy of the ship. If there are higher level cabins unfilled, Carnival will push people up. My belief is that they hope you get hooked on a particular accommodation level and will chose to pay that price the next time. I know of one case where a couple was upgraded from inside to balcony suite on their honeymoon.

Best of luck and let us know how it works out.
05/03 Smokefree Paradise
08/04 Smokefree Paradise (8 days due to Francis)
01/07 Carnival Liberty
11/07 Carnival Freedom Transatlantic
05/08 Carnival Liberty
12/09 Carnival Pride
06/10 Carnival Glory
Old December 11th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

what i want to know is how do you know you are getting a upgrade? I currently have a specific cabin selected on level 6C. If I do receive a upgrade will it be posted on my reservation online beforehand or will I find out at boarding?
Old December 12th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmom
what i want to know is how do you know you are getting a upgrade? I currently have a specific cabin selected on level 6C. If I do receive a upgrade will it be posted on my reservation online beforehand or will I find out at boarding?
Uusally, if you book a specific cabin, you won't be upgraded unless you ask for and pay for one. Upon occasion, they will contact you and offer an upgrade to a higher cabin at a discounted price. If they do decide to give you a complimentary upgrade, they will contact you or your TA and ask if you would like the upgrade. Imagine how upset you'd be if you booked a specific cabin that you liked and then they arbitrarily upgraded you to a higher category cabin in a less desirable location.

Ruby Princess (Inaugural) -
Celebrity Mercury (30th Anniversary) -
Old December 14th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Passenger

Our first cruise is on the Triumph this Jan. I booked a balcony Guar.
I found out the cabin number about2 weeks ago and I have been told I got a great upgrade. We are on the 10th floor Panarma Deck, mid/ front of the ship. (Not above the gym though so no one banging around at 5 am)