Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 11th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Admiral

Default Vacations to Go question

Has anyone booked a cruise through Vacations to Go? If so how was the customer service and were there any problems that arose with booking through them. I got a quote from them today for a cruise and the agent was very friendly and helpful. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks.

Need some cruise help?
Sponsored Links
Old December 11th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Beginner

We booked Vacations to Go for our cruise on the Victory last month.
They were very responsible, we received all discounts that were due,
and all docs were mailed in plenty of time.
Old December 12th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Admiral

Thank. I've been using Carnival PVP to book but I'm not that happy with my agent right now and thought I would try somebody else. Anyone else out there used Vacations to Go??

Need some cruise help?
Old December 12th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Captain

I have also used VTG and found them to be friendly, prompt and easy to work with. I would recommend them. When I book I compare my prices and cabin availability by checking with the On-line sites such as VTG, my TA and directly with Carnival and go with my best price and cabin.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old December 12th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Admiral

I get the emails from them all the time and I believe them to be responsible.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old December 13th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Captain

Default Re: Vacations to Go question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridanamaw
Has anyone booked a cruise through Vacations to Go? If so how was the customer service and were there any problems that arose with booking through them. I got a quote from them today for a cruise and the agent was very friendly and helpful. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks.
Suggest asking this question on the singles board as they do a lot of group cruises from what I understand.
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old December 13th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Captain

Iv used VTG three times in the last 12 months or so and had no problems other than they offered me a bottle of wine to rebook with them that was not delivered. They blamed RCL. They gave me a check afterwards for $10, Id rather have had the bottle of white wine that I picked.

I was pleased when I booked Carnival thru them they sent my documents by one of the special mail deliveries, DHL I think, 2 day service.

I was a newbie when I booked the Princess Grand and booked a guarantee, but they never told me it was a guarantee, they said the ship was too booked up to allow me to pick my cabin. It was a great deal, about $5 less than their site even showed, but I think they should have told me it was a guarantee, but maybe they get tired of explaining what a guarantee is to newbies. I got a cabin only one deck below my friends and was pleased.

I had not found cruise message boards when I booked thru them but they delivered as promised on everything else.
Old December 13th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Admiral

It sounds like they seem to be a responsible company. I think I will give them a try when I book this next one. Thanks everyone.

Need some cruise help?
Old December 14th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Captain

Quote:
It sounds like they seem to be a responsible company. I think I will give them a try when I book this next one. Thanks everyone.
When they send you a questionaire afterwards, tell them it was good, but 9 out of 10 lol....both times I said the cruise had a teensy bit of room for improvement they send a follow up email and asked me to book again and that I could pick red or white wine or champagne.
Old December 14th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Vacations to Go question

Quote:
My husband and I just booked through Vacations to Go. We received all our documents through the computer. Our agent answered all of our questions and was very helpful. Our insurance papers arrived within 10 days. We were very happy with their service. L&C
Old December 15th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Familiar Face

We had great service from Vacations to Go. The TA we had was so responsible and professional. He tried several different ways to get the very best price for our cruise. He always retuned calls or sent e-mails. I did not have that kind of service with other TA's at other online companies. I highly recomment VTG.
Old December 15th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Admiral

Thanks for all the replies. It sounds like a good cruise booking company. I think I will try them for our next cruise, as long as they can give me a great rate. I always got a good rate with Carnival, but I wasn't happy with my PVP. Nobody has said they had a bad experience, so that's good. Thanks again.

Need some cruise help?
Old December 16th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes went with them last October on the Liberty. No one could beat there price not even Carnival. No problems, had a nice bottle of wine from them at dinner the first night. I would go with them again if the price was right. They were always available to answer all my questins also. Lynn
[img]http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=11&year=2011&day=30&hour=16:00[img]Carnaval Freedom
Old August 9th, 2008, 01:46 AM
Beginner

Don't use them. We booked a cruise with them and had it confirmed by e-mail prior to purchase that the cost included return airfare with transfers from Calgary Alberta to Rome Italy. When we received the cruise ship package it was from Toronto, Ontario - 2,500 miles distant. Vacations to go would not correct the error and insisted it would cost us close to $2,000 to cancel. We had no choice but to book airfare and accommodation to the new site to meet our itinerary at a cost of $1,700 approx. Vacations to go agreed to pay only $670 of the total but we were still out almost $1,000 above what we had been quoted in writing by e-mail. This mattered little to Vacations to Go. Don't use them unless you want to book what you think is a bargain only to find that it is going to cost you a lot more and they don't give a hoot.
Old August 16th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Passenger

I used vtg for my upcoming cruise because of price but as far as service goes I won't use the same TA again. It's like pulling teeth to get him to tell me anything. I used affordable tours last year and the service was by far better and their prices are good as well.
Old August 17th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have our cruise in Jan for 4, booked with VTG, I was booked with my person from Carnival, but VTG gave me a much better price and took over the booking. I felt bad for my girl at Carnival because I really like her but she was great and understood. My last cruise in Oct I went with VTG and they were great, had a nice bottle of wine from them at our first dinner in dinning room. I love them they are always there to answer my questions. I would never book air travel with them or Carnival as its so much cheaper to do it on your own. Nothing bad to say about VTG, I love them!!! Lynn
[img]http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=11&year=2011&day=30&hour=16:00[img]Carnaval Freedom
Old August 17th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter
I have our cruise in Jan for 4, booked with VTG, I was booked with my person from Carnival, but VTG gave me a much better price and took over the booking. I felt bad for my girl at Carnival because I really like her but she was great and understood. Lynn
You shouldnt feel bad, becasue the Carnival reps got credit for the original booking and it doesnt change if you transfer the booking. Carnival reps do not work on commission like a TA, they just get credit and need to book you. Your Carnival person didnt lose their credit.

Iv used VTG three times and never got a discount or better price, so quit using them and use a TA who does discount. VTG offered a bottle of wine they never delivered on.
Old August 17th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Beginner

We used Vacations to Go to book our Mediterranean cruise we took July 2009. We booked some months prior. The Vacations to Go representative indicated by e-mail that the package included return airfare from Calgary to Rome with all transfers and cruise. When we received our confirmation of the purchase by e-mail it did not have details of the air listed. We again contacted Vacations to Go, this time by phone and were advised that it was normal and that details would be forthcoming about 30 days prior. When we got details, we found our package was from Toronto to Rome (2,500 miles distant) and did not include air from Calgary. We went back to Vacations to Go, were advised there was nothing they could do (wanted to know if we could drive there) and when we suggested cancelling the package were advised it would cost us near $2,000 to do so because the cruise was booked properly even if the air was messed up. We ended up having to get air to Toronto, plus hotel stays on each side of the trip. Vacations to Go eventually agreed to pay 1/2 our air cost but it still cost us almost $1,000 out of our pocket to go on the trip. We will not use them again nor would we recommend them to anyone.
Old August 18th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxur
We used Vacations to Go to book our Mediterranean cruise we took July 2009. We booked some months prior. The Vacations to Go representative indicated by e-mail that the package included return airfare from Calgary to Rome with all transfers and cruise. When we received our confirmation of the purchase by e-mail it did not have details of the air listed. We again contacted Vacations to Go, this time by phone and were advised that it was normal and that details would be forthcoming about 30 days prior. When we got details, we found our package was from Toronto to Rome (2,500 miles distant) and did not include air from Calgary. We went back to Vacations to Go, were advised there was nothing they could do (wanted to know if we could drive there) and when we suggested cancelling the package were advised it would cost us near $2,000 to do so because the cruise was booked properly even if the air was messed up. We ended up having to get air to Toronto, plus hotel stays on each side of the trip. Vacations to Go eventually agreed to pay 1/2 our air cost but it still cost us almost $1,000 out of our pocket to go on the trip. We will not use them again nor would we recommend them to anyone.
Per my previous reply on this thread, we have been satisfied with VTG, but did not have them book air for us, only the cruise. That is apparently where the problem lies with them. I hop that you sent a copy of the original e-mail to your attorney to try for compensation of your money. Your post says July 2009, which is obviously a misprint since you have already been on your trip and I am assuming it was July 2008 or July 2007. You might still be able to get some of your money back through legal recourse.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old August 18th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Admiral

I too have used VTG a time or two, and haven't had any problems. I usually shop all the agents, both online and PVP, and I go with whoever offers the best deal. Bottom line, no problems with VTG.

Ken
"SKY"
Old November 26th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Beginner

I won't use Vacations to Go again.

It was my fault, but they could have shown customer service. Having read good things about Vacations To Go, and after seeing their "Best Price" guarantee, I assumed I had nothing to worry about on pricing.

I booked a cruise with VTG, only to find out six hours later that CruiseDeals.com offered the same cruise for $50 less per person.

Since I didn't bring up the CruiseDeals.com price difference when I booked with VTG, they told me I was out of luck as far as them matching the price.

Long story short? Check CruiseDeals.com first. It would have saved me $100.
Old November 26th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleKG
Long story short? Check CruiseDeals.com first. It would have saved me $100.
Happens all the time. Im the opposite. Im booked thru Costco for April 5th, at $449, and VTG has a deal for $100 off the cabin plus $50 OBC, so it would be $399 pp effectively, and Im paying $449. It would cost me $50 to cancel and rebook, not worth the effort.

It happens. I called my friend and said VTG has the best deal right now, to go look at it.
Old November 27th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Beginner

We booked a trip through Vacations to Go for a Mediterranean cruise in July of this year. Initially all seemed good as we booked the cruise with air from Calgary to Rome which we had confirmed, more than once, by e-mail before purchasing. We had quite a surprise when we received our tickts and found our tickets were from Toronto, some 2,500 miles distant. Initially the Vacations to Go rep asked if we could drive there. After some irate discussion they finally agreed to pay us for 1/2 the ticket cost of $1,340 to get to the starting point. Some months later my wife had a call from the president of Vacations to Go, asking about our customer survey response which was understandably low. It resulted in a recent call from a senior staff member. The supervisor who called indicated the company would cover the other half as it was their error and she would have authorized the full re-imbursement had she been made aware of the circumstances. While we have not received anything as yet, she did indicate they would forward payment and we look forward to it and a restoration of our faith in Vacations to Go whom we had used previously for another cruise with no complications.
Old November 30th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Beginner

Be careful using any on line booking agent, try to use someone you can actually call and get a hold of, all TA's get their pricing from the same place and that is the cruise line. the cruise lines DO NOT negotiate fares with any one not even travel agents. That is why you cannot bid on cruises on priceline.com, because they do not negotiate, so call a local TA or book through the cruise line you will get the same rate and you will be able to actually talk to someone if you have a problem. If you see a deal that is to good to be true on a cruise then it is too good to be true, and beware of agencies on line that show lower rates these are usually cabins at the bottom of the ship that the cruise line could not book because they are in a horrible location and probably have bunk beds and are no bigger than a broom closet and no one wanted it so they sold it to the online agency to get rid of for them. If you have a American Express card call Amex travel or if you have a Sea Miles Card call Sea Miles sometimes you can get great savings with using your points from these cards.
Old November 30th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Passenger

My daughter recommended VTG and I have been very pleased. Done 2 cruises thru them so far, really easy to work with, got the discounts I asked for.
Old December 1st, 2008, 01:00 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskadaisy
Be careful using any on line booking agent, try to use someone you can actually call and get a hold of, all TA's get their pricing from the same place and that is the cruise line. the cruise lines DO NOT negotiate fares with any one not even travel agents. .
Actually there are some TAs such as Costco who discount Carnival fares (10% off the commissionable part of the cruisefare).

Not every TA has the same price, there is a site you can have TAs bid on the price and select the best one.

Not anything wrong with the cabins at the bottom either, in my opinion only of course. I take you you dont like these cabins? Good way to go cheap, if you dont care which cabin you are in.

Carnival does not allow any TAs to advertise a lower fare, but they do seem to allow TAs to price lower than Carnival prices fares. Surely they must know a big outfit like Costco is discounting every fare?

In fact on my next cruise date, I notice that several online sites are advertising a discounted fare by $100 if you book thru MasterCard, that isnt on Carnival's site. Its a pretty fine line imo about discounting Carnival fares.

Now RCL is another story.
Old December 1st, 2008, 01:26 AM
Beginner

Default Vacations to Go

My girlfriends and I booked our cruise on the Carnival Destiny through them and so far they have been great. I think our reps name was Ferris. We got a great deal!
Old December 3rd, 2008, 05:18 PM
Beginner

costco rates are not for the general public they are for members only, again cruise lines DO NOT negotiate rates with anyone. They do set up some special rates with companies like costco for members but those are contracted rates. If you price out through TA's that work with general public you will find the same rates, i have spent hours researching this and know this to be true.