Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 16th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Jamica What's UP

Looking for excursion in Jamica and Carnival is only offering Two. Then I here the Jamica Army is helping the police. Looks like this may not be the best of ports. For those of you just getting back can you let us know what you think. Thank you..
2006 Carnival Pride / Mexican Riviera
2008 Carnival Conquest / Western Caribbean
2009 Sapphire Princess / Mexican Riv

Need some cruise help?
Sponsored Links
Old December 16th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith
Default Re: Jamica What's UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rperini3
Looking for excursion in Jamica and Carnival is only offering Two. Then I here the Jamica Army is helping the police. Looks like this may not be the best of ports. For those of you just getting back can you let us know what you think. Thank you..

Nothing wrong with Jamaica, it's a beautiful island, the people are friendly
and there are numerous attractions you can do on your own.
We have been there numerous times, never EVER felt threatened in any fashion, never EVER feared for our safety. We were there as recently as October 07. We'll go there again in a heartbeat.

If it makes you feel any safer, just stay on the ship!

Captain
Old December 16th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Passenger

Capt, its obvious you've never been to Kingston.
Old December 16th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog
Capt, its obvious you've never been to Kingston.
What makes you think that Kingston is any different from some neighborhoods in the good old USA? Does that make either place any less safer? I don't think so.
Salty, I can tell you that I have WALKED IN JAMAICA (plus the other 100 or so countries that I have visited) where the average American cruiser would NOT even dare to get off the ship.

Captain
Old December 16th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Admiral

Maybe I'm missing something here but if I read the O.P's post correctly, he/she said Carnival was offering 2 excursions in Jamaica.
According to Carnival's website they are offering 48 excursions in Ocho Rios and 31 in Montego Bay.

I personally have been to Jamaica a number of times without a problem and planning to go back in Sept.
There's places I wouldn't go while there but there's places I won't go here in my home town.

Reminds me of when we were in Rio a couple years ago and several people were talking about crime, etc. We never had a problem but did meet a local who had visited some friends in New York for a few days and was mugged and robbed while there. Go figure.
Old December 16th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Sorry Cap.. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I HATE Jamaica. I have never felt so threatened in my life and I live in the heart of a major city. I would only go to Jamaica again if it was at a private resort.
Old December 17th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just checked on Carnival (my reservation) again and there are only Two offered.

Need some cruise help?
Old December 17th, 2007, 01:08 PM
First Mate

Our last trip to Montego Bay was lots of Cops and Army around us at the shopping area, and were told to stay in that area. Drugs being sold everywhere and be careful what color lisense plate the taxie had. Not the best place we were ever at. All I will say is be carefull.

Ocho Rios was alot better, but still got hit to buy drug sellers walking around. Best place was in the Jimmy Buffett area. Then back to the boat.

Looks like it all depends on where you go.
Old December 17th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Just checked on Carnival (my reservation) again and there are only Two offered.
Rperini3,
Which port are you stopping in? I'll be more than happy to give you some hints of what you can do/where to go.
As I said before, we've been to Jamaica numerous times, never ever had any problems and never felt scared/threatened in any way, shape, form or manner. Were we ever propositioned to buy drugs? Sure we were. One time in Ocho Rios this guy would not take No for an answer. The Captain finally became very vocal about his position on the matter and chased the guy down the street, the captain is a big guy! All 250 lbs of him. Plus the Mrs is another 90lbs of pure terror!
Did that one incident put us off Jamaica? Absolutely NOT!
Do they have a problem with drugs? Sure they do. But then, so does Mexico, so does Belize, so does Colombia, so do many countless other countries, including our beloved USA. We've been to all the above and countless other places, been cruising since 1971 and never EVER had a bad experience. Just excercise common sense and caution. But shouldn't you do that no mattter what? Cruising or not!

Do they have a problem with crime?
Sure they do, but again, so do we here in the US and many other countless countries. Again, that does not put us off cruising, or even taking regular vacations in ANY country.

People bring all sorts of arguments of why this is a bad port or that is a bad port.

I've seen on these boards:
People not wanting to visit Acapulco and feeling unsafe there and not getting off the ship because the vendors are a bit aggressive
People, they're only trying to earn a living, albeit a lousy way to do it.
Or because of the few drive-by shootings between gangs and the police in the same city! You guys ever been to our South Central LA? Again, we must have visited Acapulco, what? 12-15 times? Always had a great time there and as for the vendors, a simple "No senor, gracias" does miracles.

Or how about another poster feeling threatened by the looks of the people in Coxen Hole, Roatan. The place scared the $hit out of her and some other bright bulb here told her it was female intuition?!??! Roatan has some of the friendliest people to be found anywhere on the planet.

And they go on and on and on about the various other ports!!!

Anyways, I better get off the soapbox and stop preaching. As I said, if you are interested my offer still stands, let me know which port you are stopping in and I'll be more than happy to share with you some ideas of what you can do there.

Captain

By the way, my post here is NOT intended to offend anyone, just some things I have very strong feelings about.
Old December 17th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Captain. We will be at Montago Bay . Thanks

Need some cruise help?
Old December 17th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Captain. It just got to me, I lived in LA for years so I need to think for myself and stop opening the post that talk bad about Jamaica. Thanks alot Captain..

Need some cruise help?
Old December 17th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Shirley Jones
Default captain

I will be going to dunn river falls and bamboo beach how is it any hints you can give me for that area ?
Conquest 3/10
Ecstasy 6/11
Magic 11/11
Old December 17th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Captain. We will be at Montago Bay . Thanks
Rperini3,
We did a whitewater/rafting trip in Mobay a couple years ago: here's a link to the company we used, they WILL pick you up at the cruiseship terminal. It is about a 5 hour deal, gives you time to see town after the thrill rafting trip.

http://www.whitewaterraftingmontegobay.com/index2.htm

Pier 1 On The Waterfront is a good place to hang around, veg out, relax etc..... Plenty of Jamican food/fare & drinks.........You can see the cruiseships in Mobay from here.

Rocklands Bird Sanctuary: Not your regular bird sanctuary, you actually get to mingle with the feathered creatures. They are open afternoons so this attraction you may want to do after your whitewater/rafting adventure and depending on what time you make it back to the pier/what time you have left. The ride up the road is an adventure in itself.

We have rented a car many times in Jamaica although I have to admit that driving on the island is not to be taken lightly. And the darn potholes, well, more like craters! So you rent a car, you purchase full insurance and before you drive off, they tell you; "Oh, by the way, Mon, tyres and wheel damage is NOT covered by insurance". That in itself speaks fro the conditons of the roads. But nevertheless, it is a fun island to visit.

Try googling the above places. Either one of them or a combination of any of them should give ya plenty to do in the few hours you are there. Just excercise common sense caution and you'll be just fine.

Hope you find the above hints of some help.

Captain
Old December 17th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Admiral

Default Re: captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirley Jones
I will be going to dunn river falls and bamboo beach how is it any hints you can give me for that area ?
Shirley Jones (you the SJ of The Partridge Family fame??? ): We've been to Ocho Rios a few times, we have both driven to the falls from town and walked to the falls from town. Driving it is about a 5 minute driv e to the east of town, walking is maybe like 30-40 minutes max. Many people will advise you against walking to the falls, many will actually advise you against walking ANYWHERE in Ocho Rios. Many people just feel safe ONLY if they stay in the "walled compound" that is the cruisehip terminal with the usual mix of stores, bars etc........As I said before, we've never ever had any problems there, sure enough you will be solicited to buy "stuff" just don't make eye contact and be firm in your NO. We've always enjoyed walking the downtown area and have actually been "BOLD" to go shop the local markets/grocery stores,
Dunn River Falls is a nice attraction to see. You can walk the falls itself, getting very, very wet or you can walk on the wooden stairway that parallels much of the falls. There is a small entrance fee you have to pay.
And yes, you will get hounded by all the vendors there, but again, they mean no harm, they're just trying to make/earn a living. As regards Bamboo Beach, if I am right I think that is a resort (but I may be wrong) and I believe we have never been there.
Hope the above helps.

Captain
Old December 17th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Shirley Jones

Thanks captain it does help and yes i understand its a country of poor and i know the drugs are plentiful but like you say just sayI will just say no and walk away .
Conquest 3/10
Ecstasy 6/11
Magic 11/11
Old December 17th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks again, will check all those out.

Need some cruise help?
Old December 17th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Admiral

We did Dunn River Falls last week. Had a wonderful time with absolutely no problem. Our 2nd climb and we will do it again. We took the "Cool Runnings" catamaran to the falls and then to Mahogany Beach and really enjoyed it. People at our dinner table went to Bamboo Beach and had a really great time. One thing about the falls........you will get wet and the climb is moderately physical so anyone with seroius health problems might want to watch from the walkway.

No Problem Mon
55 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle, Breeze, Sunshine X3
6 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old December 17th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Admiral

I just went into Carnival-- Conquest --june 22 sailing for western Carb.
Under shore tours it shows 31 for Montego Bay but there is a drop down box where you can request specific types of tours and it will narrow that down. The only one I saw that only showed two tours were biking tours. Are you entering info for specific tours or tours in general ?
Old December 18th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Ron. Just checked again, checked all drop downs and left it on all types. Checked with Carnival and they said they may not have updated it yet. So I will check back in a few days.

Need some cruise help?
Old December 18th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Admiral

That's odd but I'm sure you will be able to get it worked out.
At the least you can spend the day at Margaritaville getting plastered !!
Old December 19th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Passenger

I visited Jamaica in January 2007 and will be returning this year.
We hired a very nice taxi driver to show us around Mo'Bay and take us shopping. We spent pretty much our entire day with her and she took very good care of us and our belongings. She was very knowledgeable about her country and was able to give us an entertaining tour.
When we parted, she gave all of us her contact information, and we've already made arrangements to spend the day with her again during our cruise this year.
Old December 19th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Admiral

Again-in MoBay there is a shuttle bus that goes to the craft market, shopping area, Doctor's Cove Beach, and Margaritaville. It leaves from the cruise ship dock area.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82