Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 26th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Help with when to go for a first time cruiser

Ok I have a question for you guys. My wife and I are planning our first cruise and many factors have been eliminating many of the dates we would like. We think we have it narrowed down to two. We would really like to leave on March 30, but that cruise is marked to be a "country music cruise" with all sorts of country music performers there. I'm not going to the Caribbean to visit "Alabama", so the wife and I aren't too excited about cruising with a bunch of drunk cowboys.

We are thinking then about leaving on March 23, and this is the big question then ... If we cruise on the 23 are we going to be stuck on the boat with a bunch of Spring Break college co-eds? We're not party poopers, and we are looking forward to having a lot of fun, but being in our mid-30s, hanging with the drunk spring break crowd is also not something we are shooting for.

Thanks for any input guys!!
Sponsored Links
Old December 26th, 2007, 02:54 AM
Admiral

Those are good questions! Perhaps ya'll can pose those questions to your travel agency? If you plan to book online, then contact the cruise-line. My guess is this, that these ships are big enough to where it won't really matter. Many of these ships carry 3,000 pax, so your vacation shouldn't really be affected by this Country/Western group, nor any party groups.
Don't know which ship ya'll are contemplating, but being Texas, I think you might be looking Conquest? This year I was on her sister the Valor which was carrying a swinging singles group, of which I only caught a glimpse here and there.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old December 26th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth
Don't know which ship ya'll are contemplating, but being Texas, I think you might be looking Conquest? This year I was on her sister the Valor which was carrying a swinging singles group, of which I only caught a glimpse here and there.
Thank you very much for your input. Yes, I am booking the Conquest for my first cruise. I did some more digging into the C/W group on the 30th, and found that their concerts, though they have big name country stars, can only be attended if you book through that specific travel group at a cost of $400 a person more than the normal cruise. My wife and i figure that if that's the case we should be allright. We were concerned that somehow these country superstars were going to BE the entertainment for the cruise which was something we most definately did NOT want.

I am using CruiseCompete.com and as soon as I get a good quote today I think I'm going to go ahead and drop the cash on that March 30th cruise! Jeanette (my wife) and I are very excited!
Old December 26th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Is there much of a price difference between those two weeks? If the first week is higher, most likely, its still considered spring break time. As for going with the country folks, it really should't effect your cruise. I've cruised with big groups and they pretty much do their own thing and it doesn't interfere with the other passengers.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 26th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Captain

The Last week in March is spring break at University of Wisconsin - Madison (As far as I know this had not changed since I was in college 26 years ago) and other colleges & universities. Spring Break generally lasts until Easter or Mid April in 2008 (since Easter is March 23) Being as My Finance' and I are in our 40's we would want to avoid this period as well. I would consider going in late April.
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old December 26th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonTodd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth
Thank you very much for your input. Yes, I am booking the Conquest for my first cruise. I did some more digging into the C/W group on the 30th, and found that their concerts, though they have big name country stars, can only be attended if you book through that specific travel group at a cost of $400 a person more than the normal cruise. My wife and i figure that if that's the case we should be allright. We were concerned that somehow these country superstars were going to BE the entertainment for the cruise which was something we most definately did NOT want.

I am using CruiseCompete.com and as soon as I get a good quote today I think I'm going to go ahead and drop the cash on that March 30th cruise! Jeanette (my wife) and I are very excited!
I think you two will have a great time. All will be fine, so no need to pack a cowboy hat! These big ships will have groups within the larger group which keep to themselves pretty much. Unless you are part of that group, you couldn't crash that party even if you wanted to.
As for the ship's entertainment, I find Carnival trys to offer something for just about everyone.

/ticker.png">
Old December 29th, 2007, 02:27 AM
First Mate

Id say cruise early March or late April to avoid the party crowd. Have fun!

MAY 2011 - CARNIVAL GLORY
MAY 2010 - CARNIVAL DREAM
MAY 2009 CARNIVAL FASCINATION
APR 2008 CARNIVAL INSPIRATION
JUN-2007 CARNIVAL SENSATION
NOV-2006 CARNIVAL LEGEND
APR-2006 CARNIVAL INSPIRATION
JAN -2000 CARNIVAL IMAGINATION
Old December 29th, 2007, 08:26 AM
First Mate

Both weeks are going to have Spring Breakers (either college or high shoolers w/parents) so I would take the first week.

Depending on how large the C&W group is, and I assuming if they have big name entertainers it is pretty big, main venues and some public areas could be off limit at times for private functions for the group. This shouldn't usually cause a problem but I have personally experienced and read about other times where cruise lines allowed a group to dominate the onboard experience. Just a thought.

Never sailed the Conquest but everyone seems to love her. Enjoy your cruise!