Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 29th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Help packing for 7 day cruise!!!!

Hello everyone!! Heather and I sat down today and went over our packing list to make sure we have everything together. But once we got started we got a little overwhelmed trying to pack for a 7 day cruise, plus 2 travel days!!! I know this is a wonderful problem to have, but we thought we might seek some advice. We will be driving to the port, so we arent cut back by flight weight restrictions. But at the same tim I dont want to bring the entire closet. So any help would be much appreciated. Thanks so much for your help.

Only 14 days to go!!!!

Randy and Heather

Destiny '11-booked!
The Royal Cancun '10(A.I.)
Dream '10
Sun Palace Nov. '09 (A.I.)
Glory '08
Sun Palace '07(A.I.)
Enchanment of the Seas '06
Aventura Spa Palace'04 (A.I.)
Couples Negril '04 (Honeymoon, A.I.)
Big Red Boat '93
Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2007, 11:36 PM
Admiral

You will be completely surprised at how little you need. Decide what clothes you need and then put half of them back in the closet. If you run short (you probably won't) washer/dryer and valet service is available.
Our rule of thumb is take half the clothes and twice the money and it will work out just right.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old December 30th, 2007, 10:32 AM
First Mate

Since you don't have to worry about airline weight restrictions, you can take whatever you want. But, saying that, here's what I do.

Rule of thumb for me, mix and match all my clothes so I can wear them more than once. Only take shoes that are necessary, not just because you might like them. I don't take any expensive jewelry so if I lose it, it won't matter.

Take at least $50 in $1 bills for tips. Break all large bills at the pursers desk before going on shore. I've been in some ports where I had a hard time using a $20, got change in local dollars. Now, I only take small bills.

Have a good time.

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09
Oasis of the Seas 10/16/10
Old December 30th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

Randy lets Heather do all the packing she wants, not necessarily what she needs...........

Randy then goes in after Heather and dumps half of the stuff out of the suitcases, taking ONLY what they need..........

the Captain does that to the Mrs on every cruise, never fails. Even on our longer 3 week cruises, we've never taken more than one large suitcase each and maybe the Mrs's vanity case and my laptop carryon. That's it.

Captain
Old December 30th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Admiral

I always come home with unworn clothes, and I never wear all the shoes I take. Mix and match clothes and take only a few pair of shoes. Tons of clothes are just not neccessary. For formal nights I take a couple of dressy/sparkly tops and a pair of black dressy pants, and just change tops out, nobody cares. My BF wears the same suit and shirt and nobody cares. Make it easy, don't overpack.

Need some cruise help?
Old December 30th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I packed the following items

4 casual shirts (wore all)
5 tank tops (wore all)
2 capris (wore both)
1 casual long pants (worn on trip home)
1 dress pants (worn twice)
1 dressy blouse (worn twice)
3 shorts (wore all)
1 bathing suit (worn)
The usual underwear/bra/socks
Sandals (2 pair, both worn)
Thongs (known by the younger generation as flip flops)

The only items I didn't wear were the extra undergarments that I brought just in case, otherwise, everything else was worn. I went in September and I pretty well wore most tank tops twice or more because the heat made me need to change half way through to day. I learned from last January when I only brought two shirts/shorts/long pants/capris, and three tank tops. I was wearing the same shirt every other night, the same tank tops (and after two days they didn't look so good...). I underpacked and really wished I had thwon another shirt or those other two tank tops in my bag!!!!

Yet another thing to consider, you don't know when/if you will have ice cream or anything mess up a clean shirt/shorts. It happened to me both in January and September, except in January I had to wash my tank top in the bathroom sink so I could wear it again!!!!!

Pack what you think you will wear.....

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old December 31st, 2007, 12:51 AM
Passenger

it hard to decide if you are not taking kids then it is much easier. you need at least one outfit a day shorts / t - shirt, 3 or 4 casual slacks for guys interchange shirts. also if you do a shore excursion at each port you are going to want to shower and change clothes. just make sure you have enough shirts and plan for the change in weather. when we left tx it was 70 when we came back it was 40's. and i didn;t bring any jeans for my hubby so he had to wear dockers and dress shoes and a polo shirt ans so did one of my son's. but hey i saw a guy in his suit and tennis shoes!

Read and post cruise reviews

Carnival Conquest 9 / 2003

Carnival Conquest 12/9/2007

Carnival Triumph 12/7/2009
Old December 31st, 2007, 08:49 AM
Passenger

If you wear t-shirts and plan on buying some, only take a couple and then wear the ones you buy in port. Your day clothes, capries, shorts, etc., plan one clean pair everyday. After running around and if it's hot enough to sweat some you'll want something clean the next day. Your dinner clothes you can mix and match and wear 2-3 times.
Like others have said "put everthing you want to carry out, then put half back up".
The main thing on my list is a extension cord/plug. And I got a little LED light that I turn on in the bathroom at night.
Carnival Holiday 1-2008
Old December 31st, 2007, 07:05 PM
Passenger

Default Packing

I probaby am no help because I PACK EVERYTHING and usually WEAR IT ALL...I guess that is where I got my name WEDDIVA (I am a wedding planner...AND A DIVA...Hence..why I bring it all!!!)

Bring what you want, don't worry about it!!! AND WE FLY!!!
Old December 31st, 2007, 07:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

es, packing is hard. If you are an average size then you can buy tacky t-shirts in port. Alas, there are enough of us out there that finding a shirt that fits is not easy.

I always thought the weather in Texas was nice, but then again the weather we'll be going back to is downright miserable plus don't forget the snow!!!! Snow, lovely, lovely, lovely BEEEEEP snow.......

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old December 31st, 2007, 07:13 PM
First Mate

Remember, there is a self-serve laundry on board. I found myself washing out my undergarments in the sink at night and hanging them to dry. Worked well. Next cruise I'm platinum so I get free laundry service.

So, if you want to take less clothes, just do a load of laundry onboard, or pay for laundry service. I think they have a special 1 bag for $15 during the cruise.

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09
Oasis of the Seas 10/16/10
Old December 31st, 2007, 09:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

All the clothes stuff has been covered..one thing I do is put all my undies and nightclothes in one of those bags that you take the air out of and that saves room and then I use it to put dirty clothes in on the way back and it saves room again. Make sure you take the suntan lotions and aftersun items you might like...those items get costly on the ship should u run out. I use a travel clock that has a built-in nite light because we usually just have an interior cabin and they get very dark. Take an extra memory card/film also. I use a mesh back pack as a carry on so that it can double as what we use to carry things off the ship for our shore excursions also (like beach towels, suntan lotion, etc.). We just recently bought the walkie talkie thingies and they have come in handy also.
Carnival Celebration 03/06
Carnival Fantasy 12/06
Carnival Fantasy 04/07
Carnival Glory 10/07
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2008
Carnival Fascination Oct 2008
Carnival Holiday April 2009
Carnival Dream Dec 2009
Carnival Triumph Jan 2010
Carnival Dream May 2010
Carnival Elation Jan 2011
Carnival Triumph May 2011
Carnival Fascination Feb 2012
Carnival Conquest 12/09/12
Carnival Fascination 01/06/13
Old December 31st, 2007, 10:38 PM
Admiral

Can't help with what ladies should pack. As for me though, I attempt to pack lightly. Wear one pair of cargo pants, pack 2 others, about 6 collared shirts that button down that could work on shore as well as dinner, wear one pair of sneakers/walking shoes, pack extra pair of recreational shoes, a dress coat, 3 ties, formal shirts and trousers, formal shoes, something for pool, socks and underwear.
I take that back, I pack a lot of stuff. One is always changing cloths on a cruise ship. :o

/ticker.png">
Old January 1st, 2008, 01:01 AM
Admiral

The one time I packed "light" I was miserable! Didn't like any of my options! So now, I take anything that I think I may possibly want to wear! Yep, I bring some of it back, without wearing it, but I have options!

This is what I do:

Start with your formal wear, then I think about what I may wear on the other evenings. That taken care of, the casual stuff is always much easier. And you can NEVER have too many shoes!

You may need to wash a few items (considering the 2 extra days) but that shouldn't be a problem.

Don't stress! You're going on a cruise!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old January 16th, 2008, 10:45 PM
First Mate

My friend Kristen packed 12 pairs of shoes on her first cruise . She said she ended up wearing 2 of them. ...Most people spend the afternoon swimming or by the pool so thats just a swimsuit needed. Dont go crazy. You will need a sleep outfit, breakfast outfit, swimsuit, formal outfit and a few casual clubbing outfits. Dont go crazy!!!

MAY 2011 - CARNIVAL GLORY
MAY 2010 - CARNIVAL DREAM
MAY 2009 CARNIVAL FASCINATION
APR 2008 CARNIVAL INSPIRATION
JUN-2007 CARNIVAL SENSATION
NOV-2006 CARNIVAL LEGEND
APR-2006 CARNIVAL INSPIRATION
JAN -2000 CARNIVAL IMAGINATION
Old January 17th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Admiral

it helped me for my first (5 night) cruise to type up a "wardrobe plan" such as this:

fly in to port day before cruise: jean shorts and tank top
sail date: jean shorts and tank top
sail day evening: black pants and camisole top
1st full day - port day - khaki shorts and tank top
1st full day - formal night attire - black pants + DRESSY camisole top
2nd full day - port day - khaki shorts and tank top
2nd full day - evening - black pants and camisole top
day at sea - swimsuit or shorts/tank top
day at sea - evening - blank pants and camisole top
last day - back to jeans and tank top for the flight home
a pair underpants and socks for each day
sneakers
black flats for dinners/lunch in dining room + knee high pantyhose

maybe throw in an extra shirt as others have said but that's all you need.
do laundry after 2 days, no one will notice if you wear something twice and who cares if they do?

when I cruise alaska in a few years, I'll simply exchange the jean shorts for jeans, and the taop top for a long-sleeved top
Old January 17th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to cana57

Just in case no one has already told you to do this, and this is a worse case scenario thing, split your clothing between both of your suitcases, just in case, God forbid, your luggage is lost and that includes packing swimsuits in both suitcases!

As for Heather, take a sheet of paper, fold it accordion-style and divvy it up into horizontal sections, morning, mid-day, evening and miscellaneous. When I've done this and actually planned what I'm taking I've been able to weed through things.

Whatever you do, don't forget a lightweight sweater for the dining rooms and other interior areas of the ship. They were freezing in October on Triumph.

I suggest walkies too, married or not.

Carnival Imagination 5/4/06
Carnival Fantasy 9/30/06
Carnival Inspiration 5/3/07
Carnival Triumph 10/13/07
Old January 17th, 2008, 11:56 AM
First Mate

Let me begin by stating , we always pack more than we need. WE also drive but usually pack two sets of bags, one for traveling that we leave in the car, and one for the cruise. I don't know your preferences for dressing so it is best to go with as little as you feel comfortable with. Just remember you must handle it at some point so don't overburden yourself. Enjoy the cruise.
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old January 19th, 2008, 02:48 AM
Passenger

HI,
I have very extensive, all inclusive lists of everything you could possibly need including clothes, toiletries, snorkel and fun stuff, etc. Send me an email suzedove@aol.com and I'll send them to you.
Old January 20th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Beginner

Take more underwear than you think you need. I just got back from a cruise on the Conquest and found I needed more dressy things than casual due to dressing up for dinner. I packed way too many capris and tops.
Old January 21st, 2008, 12:51 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountry
Take more underwear than you think you need. I just got back from a cruise on the Conquest and found I needed more dressy things than casual due to dressing up for dinner. I packed way too many capris and tops.
Pack underwear indeed. One time I carefully planned out and packed my bags only to get on-board and notice...NO UNDERWEAR. Luckily for me, the shop on-board sold underwear. 8)

/ticker.png">