CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   cave tubing????? - belize in march (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/344072-cave-tubing-belize-march.html)

mo3011 January 1st, 2008 01:49 AM

cave tubing????? - belize in march

Hi all....

Anyone have experience with this excusrion in March????
Kinda nervous here, but have a 16 year old who really wants to do it?.... Do we have to be "good" at swimming for this?

Thanks

maria

HeidiHo January 1st, 2008 10:32 AM

We did cave tubing in Belize in March of '06. The water level should be low at that time of year. There are lots af spots where the water is so shallow that the guides will yell "butts up" so you will know that you need to lift up your butt to avoid hitting the bottom. Still, there were a couple of deep areas but wear a life jacket and you will be fine. I forgot the name of the company we used (we did not book thru the ship) but they required us to wear life jackets.

mo3011 January 6th, 2008 09:25 PM

Thank you

Thank you for the response, much appreciated.

<Maria

danacline January 7th, 2008 10:53 AM

We did this trip last March, in conjunction with the rainforest zipline. It was an absolute blast! There's about a 1-hour bus ride each way, and the photos are a bit expensive, but still quite fun. We did the zip line first, then had lunch (chicken and rice, and a drink), then did the cave tubing. Hopefully one of these days I'll get photos and a writeup posted on my web site.

Darcy January 7th, 2008 05:25 PM

We did this in April and had a blast! River was low then too. We did it through a private company (can't remember the name) and they had us wear life jackets.

lowboy January 12th, 2008 04:02 PM

:D its a blast go for it :roll:

dornahasa January 14th, 2008 04:36 PM

We did this in Sept of last year it was great. The hike thru the jungle is a little tuff because you have to carry your own tube.

mo3011 January 14th, 2008 10:34 PM

thanks.... we're signed up for cave tubing

thanks all of you for the positive responses.....

we are officially booked.... i decided to try with the ship....kinda nervous about going private... so i hope we have a blast.....:) :shock:

TommyB January 22nd, 2008 12:33 PM

Should have booked private. The groups are smaller and the tour down the river is shorter. The guides are also fantastic when you book private. Hopefully you will change your mind and book with xtreme cavetubing. If your lucky you'll get Dennis for a guide. AWESOME!

La Maestra January 27th, 2008 09:11 PM

We went two years ago in March and it was a neat experience. Our only complaint is that we did book with the ship for safety reasons (NCL)and unfortunatley I felt like I was on a race through the cave! We had to paddle to keep up with our guides and my arms were raw from hitting the side of the innertube. We paddled past a group where the guide hooked them together by their feet and pulled them! That looked like the relaxed ride listed in the brochure!! I was really dissappointed with the pace of that particular group but the experience could be wonderful! I agree the hike through the woods was more than I envisioned but ok. Water was chilly.

mo3011 January 27th, 2008 10:19 PM

thanks

thanks fort that..... I am a little out of shape, maybe I should exercise a bit before we go so I am ready..... we are also doing the ziplining in Roatan, so I better get in a little bit of shape, or I will be in the hot tubs after that for the rest of the cruise,.....

Cassandra January 28th, 2008 10:03 AM

Do alot of walking or biking or something that gets your heart going. You don't need to lift weights.

You want to build up your endurance so when you are trekking through the jungle, you won't be panting away.

If you own a dog, take them on long walks.

lynn pf January 28th, 2008 12:47 PM

went a few years ago in Feb, I think. I was nervous and claustophobic and had a GREAT time! Life jackets provided, caves VERY large inside, sunlight comes in for most of the ride. A nice hike through the jungle before beginning your tube ride. Actual ride lasted maybe 20 min to 1/2 hour. Places to change, shop, use restrooms before and after tubing

mo3011 February 2nd, 2008 01:23 AM

thanks again

Thanks again,

All of the info on here is so great. I will re-start on the treadmill so I will be able to do teh jungle/rainforest walks,....

Thanks all.

Maria

prttygirlmss February 2nd, 2008 04:32 PM

Is the walk okay for children to do? My daughter will be 9 and son will be 13. I do not want to get stuck with extra tubes.

abelgoddard February 2nd, 2008 08:36 PM

We did the cave tubing in May. It was a great excursion!

We had about a 45 minute hike, but it wasn't rough. My wife isn't the most athletic, and she didn't have a problem.

The water was REALLY cold, though. I don't know that it'll be any colder in March, though, cuz the air temp was really nice in the 80s.