Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 1st, 2008, 02:52 AM
Familiar Face

Default canadian cell phones

Hi again,

I have seen that Carnival ships all have cell phone service now.... being Canadian, my provider said my phone will work anywhere in USA but not in carribean..... does anyone have any expereince with this from a canadian perspective.... anyone know if I will able to use mine out there?.... Any help is appreciated. I live in Manitoba and my provider is MTS....

Thanks

Maria
Sponsored Links
Old January 1st, 2008, 12:03 PM
Admiral

You will be subject to roaming charges. Its expensive to use your cell. Approximately 4.50 a minute.

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/.../connected.cfm

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old January 1st, 2008, 01:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I'm Canadian, and on our last cruise .. 2 weeks back to back cruises, we found our cell phone worked in one Caribb. port.

And if you do use it, as has been suggested, the costs arent cheap. You'd be much better off using email communications, and get international calling cards to use when in port.
Old January 1st, 2008, 02:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

I use Bell in Ontario and it was the same for me. Actually most times at sea I didn't have any reception but when I did it was expensive so I just waited or used my laptop instead.
05/14/2008 Carnival Spirit (Glacier Bay - Alaska)
11/12/2007 Carnival Freedom (US Inaugural - W Carib)
02/01/2007 Celebration (Bahamas)
Old January 1st, 2008, 02:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

There is another option for you. You can call from each port and departure city as well. MTS probably has a phone card similar to Telus that allows you to make phone calls for significatly cheaper LD rates.

The only downside to this calling card is if the port doesn't have phones that will support it (the cruise center in Grand Turk didn't so I used my cred it card around $5/minute). I also ran into a problem in St. Thomas at Havensight Mall. There were several payphones and the ones I tried, all but one worked and it didn't want to accept my LD calling card. I called collect. I was fustrated after a good 15-20 minutes of trying in 40C sun and no shade.

Email is an option, but there may be a charge to sign into the system and for each email you send. I spent $20 to sign in and send two emails. Don't call from the ships phone, it will cost a small fortune!

Happy sailing!!!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old January 1st, 2008, 03:15 PM
Admiral

Another really great option that we have used is a TracPhone. You can buy them for $15 at Walmart, CVS, Dollar General and in lots of places in the states. I have seen them on ebay in case you want to get it set up in advance because some of the options available on it need to be set up a few days in advance and it will work in quite a few Ports (but not in Mexico) and make sure you keep it turned off in Mexico. You can have it set up with two phone numbers, one that is a native US phone number, and one that is a Canadian phone number so that when you call Canada it is treated as a local call, and when your friends and family call you, even if it's just to leave a voicemail it is a local call for them. It is pre-paid so you can pay as you go, and you don't have to worry about unpleasant surprises when the bill comes. It will not work on most ships though. Some have reported they will work on a few of NCL's ships, but that has not been our experience.

We like this nifty little phone because d/h's family is in Canada, and when he is on the road he can call them without paying the big bucks like happens when we call Canada from our regular cell phone.

I also have a skype IP phone which I got for next to nothing during a woot off. I spend $30 a year and can call just about anywhere. When we were in Grand Cayman I was able to pick up a wifi signal from a resort while sittting on the balcony of our room on the ship and we were able to call Canada and the US using my laptop and the IP phone. Because we were in Grand Cayman it cost us 2 cents a minute. Since Kuki's ship was parked next door we were going to call him on his cell phone to see if we could borrow a cup of sugar (That was Trip's idea lol). Since he was paying the big bucks to use his cell on board, it's a good thing we didn't hehehe. We were not able to use the ship's internet service to make IP calls though because of the latency issue.

Hope that helps,

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 1st, 2008, 03:47 PM
Familiar Face

Thank you to all of you for the suggestions.

I didn't realize there were so many options available. I won't be using the phone regularly, but I will be sailing with my 16 year old daughter and leaving my younger special needs daughter home with grandma as she refused to go on a "boat", so I will want to connect with her from time to time to just say "hi, mom and breanne love you".

Thanks again. I will need to decide if I will purchase LD cards while in the ports or get a different type of phone set up as was suggested by teenie weenie.

Thanks to all of you..... these boards are great.....

Happy cruising.

Maria
Old January 1st, 2008, 03:54 PM
Familiar Face

Default oops

It was thank you to beenie weenie, sorry, wrote it down wrong.... didn't mean to be disrespectful.

I will check into the tracphone idea.... I wonder if they are available in Canada, if not i will check ebay, we still have 3 months to go, so I should have time to investigate.

Thanks again....

Maria
Old January 1st, 2008, 09:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Not sure how attached you are to your provider.. Rogers or Fido is on a gsm network which works fine on the ships and in port as well.
Old January 1st, 2008, 10:20 PM
Familiar Face

thanks, i wonder if either fido or rogers pay as you go plans will have gsm

I will have to ask...... might work....

Thanks
\
Maria
Old January 1st, 2008, 10:25 PM
Admiral

Dawgone it! I'd rather be teenie weenie Too many cruises this year, I need to start another diet.

If somebody told me to haul A$$ right now, I'd have to make two trips lol!

Read and post cruise reviews