Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 1st, 2008, 07:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Help with Southwest Airlines

Okay, my wife and I have an interesting situation. We sail on the Pride on Feb 3. We are traveling from Anchorage so we plan other activites around our cruise. With this trip is a George Straight concert in Sacramento CA on Jan. 31. We have a Southwest ticket from LAX to Sacramento and back for this specific concert.

Well my wife had to go and screw up everything. She went and won concert tickets, meet and greet passes, hotel, and airfare from our local radio station for this very concert. So we have been able to have all of our other expenses refunded by the each vendor so the radio station could pay for them, but Southwest is being a pain in the rear. Since we bought a non refundable ticket, they are only willing to give us a credit towards future flights. This is the first time we have ever flown on Southwest, and could be the last depending on how this all turns out. For the radio station accounting they need to pay the vendor for the expense instead of just refunding us what we already paid. Southwest will not refund my credit card and allow the radio station to immediately pay with there own. I personally think Southwest is making a poor customer service choice, but they dont seem to want to budge on their policy. Has anyone else delt with Southwest on a ticket refund and won the battle?
Sponsored Links
Old January 1st, 2008, 08:04 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to jendh Send a message via Yahoo to jendh

In my opinion, You are in a tough spot. But it could be worse. SW is actually one of the friendlier airlines. Other airlines would give you a credit good for one year from date of original purchas AND charge you a $100 per person change fee. SW doesn't charge the change fee.

Jen
November 10, 2009 Carnival Triumph (Balcony)
Old January 1st, 2008, 08:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

You are lucky, most other airlines would say "too bad so sad" and leave it at that. Southwest is being fair with you. Use the credit for your next cruise because you will want to book another one ASAP!!!

Travel insurance can help, but they usually have rules as to what they will refund to you, and I doubt winning the tickets in a contest will qualfy.

Enjoy your cruise, we sail on the same day, but we go out of Galveston.

Alaska must be cold, almost a bit colder than Edmonton (Alberta).

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old January 1st, 2008, 08:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well I have made progress... I have now been referred to the marketing office based in Los Angeles, but of course they are closed with today being a holiday. Hopefully someone there will be able to work this out.

its not too cold today, down in the 20s or maybe the teens but nothing to complain about, its winter in Alaska. I just wish we had more snow.
Old January 1st, 2008, 08:59 PM
Admiral

"its not too cold today, down in the 20s or maybe the teens but nothing to complain about, its winter in Alaska. I just wish we had more snow. "
Huh.. Where I live it's supposed to be in the 20's tonight and maybe teens tomorrow night. Of course I live in Mississippi where according to the encyclopedia we are suppose to have a sub-tropic climate.
As for non-refundable airline tickets....been there...done that. :evil:
I had to regain my funds by using the travel insurance when my father had surgery and couldn't go to Vegas with me. Good luck !!
By the way, congratulations on winning the concert package. Have fun!

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old January 1st, 2008, 09:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

I think you are getting a very fair deal. To get the cheaper rates from discount airlines, they usually do not offer refunds as far as I know. Just get the credit and use it for another cruise and enjoy the George Strait concert!
Old January 1st, 2008, 11:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Go with the refund and consider it an opportunity to go somewhere within the next year that you possibly wouldn't have done. That happened with me on southwest when I found out that tickets I purchased to go to Philadelphia went down and they let me use the difference towards another trip, within a year. I felt they didn't have to do this. Bacause of Southwest, I leave for the Bahamas next week!!!!! Thanks Southwest!
Old January 2nd, 2008, 12:33 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

Congrats on your winnings and you are lucky you got all other fares refunded. I think it is only fare that SW give you credit for another flight. I would use it as an excuse to fly somewhere - to catch a ship - see a concert - or just get away from home. Its not SW fault you won free tickets. They are doing you a favor. Thats just my opinion, however I can understand you wanting the full refund. Perhaps you can sell the tickets if you can't get the refund??
Old January 16th, 2008, 11:48 PM
First Mate

Southwest cares!! Take the credit. Its a good solution

MAY 2011 - CARNIVAL GLORY
MAY 2010 - CARNIVAL DREAM
MAY 2009 CARNIVAL FASCINATION
APR 2008 CARNIVAL INSPIRATION
JUN-2007 CARNIVAL SENSATION
NOV-2006 CARNIVAL LEGEND
APR-2006 CARNIVAL INSPIRATION
JAN -2000 CARNIVAL IMAGINATION
Old January 17th, 2008, 01:10 AM
Captain

Congrats on the win of the concert tickets!! Since Southwest doesn't fly out of here I know you'd really like a refund! Keep us posted on the outcome. In any case you are still getting a good deal.

Well, we've got plenty of snow while we were gone on the Valor Dec 30-Jan 6th......It can stop now!!!!

AKcruiser
Old January 17th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

well the situation has been resolved... after some negociating with the radio station, they agreed to reimburse us for the cost of the Southwest tickets from LAX up to Sacramento and back to LAX. I had to prove to them it was actually cheaper for them to pay us back for this ticket, then it was costing them to fly the other winners from Anchorage to the concert, by nearly $500.

So we are ready to leave in 2 weeks, plus when we get back we may be closing on our first home purchase if our offer is accepted, so we're keeping our fingers crossed for that now.

Any housewarming gifts will be gladly accepted, in the from of funship dollars!
Old January 17th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanGrown
...........plus when we get back we may be closing on our first home purchase if our offer is accepted.....
Don't purchase a home yet............give it another 12-18 months...........things will only get worse in the housing market with the mess the subprime financials are in.............it's gonna be one heck of a buyers' market then as more and more ARMs default! I know I have my eyes set on some prime properties in Southern California the moment they go into default!

Captain
Old January 17th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmaximus
Southwest cares!! Take the credit. Its a good solution

Hi JP,
Long time no see, buddy. Come post here more often please and tell your buddies from "that" other site to come join us here. Say Hi to Wennfred too, I haven't seen him here in quite a while.

Nice to see you post.

Captain
Old January 17th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Admiral

There is a reason why "non-refundable" tickets are so cheap.
To expect a refund when knowing the terms is unreasonable.
Real airlines provide prices for non refundable, flexible and business/first class.
Flexible is double the cost of non refundable and not much less than biz/1st.
Old January 17th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I use Southwest almost exclusively due to the bargin prices...I had to get a credit once and it was just fine, they give you a # and amount of credit and hold it for a limited time towards anywhere. I would however discuss you situation with a manager and I would try all shifts (7A-3P, 3P-11P,11P-7A) you may just hit the right person who knows something and has the authority to give a refund. Just speaking to a customer service rep will not do it.

Good luck