Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 3rd, 2008, 11:31 PM
Passenger

Default Transportation to/from ship to/from airport HELP!!!!!

Hey everyone. I am hoping someone can please answer my question.

My husband and I are cruising on the Liberty Feb 10. We have booked a hotel (we have an 11 hour drive) for coming down, but I saw that we could fly for a bit cheaper....and no miles on my car! I have been looking into flights and found a great one that fits our budget.
My questions is this:

I know absolutly NOTHING about flying. The last time I flew was 8 years ago and we went to Disney so we didn't really have a schedule to follow...plus that was before Sept 11th and I know things have changed.

My main concern is how much in advance do we need to get there?

Does Canrival have free transportaion to and from the airport?

What is the earliest we can book a flight for the morning we pull in, if we are scheduled to pull in at 8 a.m.?

How far is the Ft lauderdale airport from the Cruise terminal?

I tried searching for the anwers on here, but had no luck, so I'm sorry if this is a repeat.
Thanks in advance!

Carnival Liberty February 2008

Carnival Celebration '07
Carnival Valor '06
Carnival Holiday '05
Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

In Ft. Lauderdale the port is very close by (about 10 minutes by taxi and a cost of about $12 or $13- per taxi, not per person).

You can PURCHASE transfers from the aiport to the ship, but if you choose that you have to arrange and purchase in advance. It's not available at the airport. I'd take the taxi, so you're not waiting around for a CArnival bus to fill up before leaving.

Flying in the day of sailing is a bit risky if you are coming for a "winter" area, or with possible flight delays. If you can swing it, come into Ft. Lauderdale the day prior by air, and get a hotel near the pier. Wake up the next day and you can be on the ship before lunch.

On returning to Ft Laud. post cruise I wouldn't get a flight before 11 AM.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 4th, 2008, 12:08 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
In Ft. Lauderdale the port is very close by (about 10 minutes by taxi and a cost of about $12 or $13- per taxi, not per person).

You can PURCHASE transfers from the aiport to the ship, but if you choose that you have to arrange and purchase in advance. It's not available at the airport. I'd take the taxi, so you're not waiting around for a CArnival bus to fill up before leaving.

Flying in the day of sailing is a bit risky if you are coming for a "winter" area, or with possible flight delays. If you can swing it, come into Ft. Lauderdale the day prior by air, and get a hotel near the pier. Wake up the next day and you can be on the ship before lunch.

Thanks so much for yor help. The whole reason of us flying was to save money. We would be flying in the same day. The flight I found lands at 11:50. Isn't that plenty of time? We will be coming from Charlotte, NC.

Carnival Liberty February 2008

Carnival Celebration '07
Carnival Valor '06
Carnival Holiday '05
Old January 4th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Captain

The flight you have found sounds like it will work for you fine. I also agree with just taking a taxi from the airport to the port. I did that in Nov. and it was a piece of cake, no waiting around. If you haven't flown since 9/11 you will need to watch what you carry on. There is a big issue with liquids. You are only allowed to carry on amounts of 3oz or less and the containers must be in a 1 quart zip baggie. You can put as many containers as you can get into the bag just watch the oz. of each. It is called the 3-1-1 system. 3oz. in 1baggie, and 1 per person. Check your airline for more details. With gas prices rising like they are sometimes flying is much better. Have a great cruise!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 4th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

^ in reference to the above post... http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/simplifly.shtm
Carnival Imagination 2008
Carnival Destiny 2009
Carnival Valor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2011
Carnival Miracle 2012
Old January 4th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by singjenn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki

Thanks so much for yor help. The whole reason of us flying was to save money. We would be flying in the same day. The flight I found lands at 11:50. Isn't that plenty of time? We will be coming from Charlotte, NC.
WE ARE STAYING IN FT. LAUDERDALE THE NIGHT BEFORE AT THE COMFORT INN (AIRPORT) THEY HAVE FREE SHUTTLE SERVICE TO AND FROM THE PORT AND YOU HAVE COMPLIMENTARY PARKING THERE IF YOU STAY THERE. CW
Old January 4th, 2008, 05:24 PM
First Mate

I agree that flying in the same day is a little risky. We always fly in the day before and stay at a hotel that will pick us up at the air port take us to the hotel and then take us the next moring to the ship.
Several places will do that for you then all you have to do is get a taxi
back to the airport when you get back from your cruise or get transfers
from carnival for the one way to the the airport.
We are staying at the Comfort Inn Suites,
they will give you all the services needed.
We have stayed at the Ramada Inn Cruise port also.
They were great too. Room was not fancy there but sure had
a good time at the pool bar and using the pool.
Both places are about the same price but we decided for the
ten dollar difference this year to go all out and like I said stay
in a suite.
Only thing is if you are flying home make your flight for afternoon
so you dont have to be in a rush. We always fly after 3 if possible.
You dont want to have to hurry and be the first off the ship the last
morning and feel rushed. Just my thoughts.....
I booked my flight 7 months ago thinking they would be going up
in price and so far they are staying about the same price.

Sammy 1954
Old January 5th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Admiral

Ramada Cruise Port is a good choice for the night before. Just make sure you are not at the "other" Ramada north of the port. That one is a $40 taxi ride away. A flight landing at about noon is a bit iffy, but if any delay is not too bad, FLL airport is very close to the cruise ship port.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82