Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 6th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel
Default The conquest left, and then came back....

I was watching the webcam to see the Conquest leave. It left at 4:15 and no sooner did it leave it came back at 4:20!!!! I saw what looked like thee our four people tanding on the dock, so I have to wonder if there was some late comers whose flights were late. The ship finally left at 4:40 for good..

That is the reason I cancelled cruise air and booked it the day before...

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

Yep...that almost happened to me too - which is why I now fly in the day before ---------- better safe than sorry is my motto
Old January 6th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Couldn't agree more with both of you! I'd rather take an extra day (or two!) and enjoy the departure city then to come in the day of and risk missing my whole vacation. Especially coming from airports that have more delays in the winter time (BUF/YYZ).

I had clients last year who were supposed to be flying to MIA via IAD (Washington Dulles) and their BUF-IAD flight was diverted due to weather along with plenty of other flights and by the time they arrived they had missed their flight and couldn't get on another one that would arrive before the ship left. Unfortunately they didn't connect with the ship but we arranged to get them to their first port of call to meet the ship. Thank goodness they bought travel insurance! Also they were smart to bring their cell phone because they called us at the agency and we were able to get on the line to the airline and cruise line and expedite getting them on their way.

So be smart when you travel, delays/cancellations can happen to anyone at any time! Nothing worse than seeing the sail away party from the dock.
05/14/2008 Carnival Spirit (Glacier Bay - Alaska)
11/12/2007 Carnival Freedom (US Inaugural - W Carib)
02/01/2007 Celebration (Bahamas)
Old January 7th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Admiral

We live far from any cruise port, and are subject to bad weather dealys (winter storms), so we have always flown in the day before. Not only do we reduce the risk of flight delays, but it gives us a chance to relax and "acclimatize" ourselves before our cruise!

donna
Old January 7th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Admiral

I chanced flying us in on the day of the cruise last time and the only hiccup we had was her luggage getting left at another airport. Luckily we still had plenty of time and the luggage was on the next flight in.

Going home was another thing... we missed our third flight because our second flight left the gate 40 minutes late. We were out 4.5 hours until we could get a flight from Dallas to Houston. We were fortunate it happened on the way home and not to the cruise port.

We will, for the most part, take the backyard port here.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old January 8th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Captain

I'll post the same questionI posted before does anyone remember that episode of I Love Lucy where she had to charter a helicopter to drop her on the deck after she missed the ship?
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old January 8th, 2008, 06:43 PM
First Mate

I've seen people left on the dock in Galveston before - obviously very upset - I would have been crying!!! I travel from Boston every January and always leave at least one day before the ship sails.
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old January 9th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Admiral

Until I retire and move to Florida, I will always fly in the night before. It's time to relax, and for those who like me prefer to travel light and only bring one carry-on per person and no checked luggage, it means getting enough conditioner and shampoo for the cruise, and other things you can't pack due to the airline restrictions.

In June when I sail Fascinaton on the 9th, I'm flying in 2 days early. i will stay at my mom's in boynton Beach and she'll drive me to the Miami port. No hotel or car rental needed and my flights are free (frequent flyer miles) so I pay $750 or so for a 1A to myself, about $200 to board the cat and hamster and $150 or so for 3 excursions. Not bad.
Old January 10th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1959
Until I retire and move to Florida, I will always fly in the night before. It's time to relax, and for those who like me prefer to travel light and only bring one carry-on per person and no checked luggage, it means getting enough conditioner and shampoo for the cruise, and other things you can't pack due to the airline restrictions.

In June when I sail Fascinaton on the 9th, I'm flying in 2 days early. i will stay at my mom's in boynton Beach and she'll drive me to the Miami port. No hotel or car rental needed and my flights are free (frequent flyer miles) so I pay $750 or so for a 1A to myself, about $200 to board the cat and hamster and $150 or so for 3 excursions. Not bad.
Thats why I liked Leaving from NYC so much. Since I live in Staten Island it was no big deal to get a ride to the peir plus I didn't have to worry about how much I was bringing.
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Old January 10th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Passenger

Default Question about stubborn friends?

What do you do when friends will not listen to you? I have been on five cruises and in March my family and a bunch of friends are going on the Imagination. Our best friends have never been on a cruise before and there is five of them. We have told them over and over to fly in the day before but they seem to think they will be fine. The boat leaves at 4pm. They are flying from Indianapolis into Miami. Three of them are supposed to arrive at 11:30 and the other two are arriving at 12:30. They booked the Carnival transportation but I am really worried. They both have layovers and we are talking wintertime in Indiana still. The airlines have already changed their flights five times. I told them "Why don't you tell them that you want to fly in the day before since they seem to be changing your flight all the time?" but they still won't ask. I think they booked their flight with travelocity or expedia and it is non-refundable. Any advice for some friends that won't listen?
Old January 11th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Captain

Default Re: Question about stubborn friends?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgoodwi
What do you do when friends will not listen to you? I have been on five cruises and in March my family and a bunch of friends are going on the Imagination. Our best friends have never been on a cruise before and there is five of them. We have told them over and over to fly in the day before but they seem to think they will be fine. The boat leaves at 4pm. They are flying from Indianapolis into Miami. Three of them are supposed to arrive at 11:30 and the other two are arriving at 12:30. They booked the Carnival transportation but I am really worried. They both have layovers and we are talking wintertime in Indiana still. The airlines have already changed their flights five times. I told them "Why don't you tell them that you want to fly in the day before since they seem to be changing your flight all the time?" but they still won't ask. I think they booked their flight with travelocity or expedia and it is non-refundable. Any advice for some friends that won't listen?
Suggest they purchase trip insurance I believe this type of delay can be covered.

Otherwise Forget about it

Let them find out the hard way You led the horse to water if they won't drink theres nothing you can so.
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07