Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 7th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Passenger

Default Cozumel Car Rental

I know the general question has already been asked but I am putting a twist on it a little bit. I have been to Cozumel four times and will be going again shortly. This is the first time I have decided to rent a jeep/car while I am there. Any suggestions on rental car company? The twist... I am unfamiliar with gas stations in Cozumel. I know I should only need to place a couple of gallons in the tank but would it be best to just bring the vehicle back without filling. If I should fill, do the gas station accept US Dollars or Credit Car or should I convert to Pesos? Thank you for any input.
Dec '00 - RCCL Grandeur of the Seas
Mar '96 - Carnival Imagination
Mar '94 - NCL S/S Norway
Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Admiral

Wel we've rented twice in Cozumel, never a problem, but the first time we could not find the gas station to save our souls the first time and finally gave upand went back to the rental place and just pleaded stupidity. The guy cut us a deal,we would give him $20, and he went and filled it up for us so we weren't penalized .
The second time, found the gas station with no problem. BTW they give you a pretty good map and tell you where the gas stations are. They guys at the rental place will give you the whole scoop on the poop on filling up. They will tell you to make sure the pumps are at zero and to use the green pumps or you may end up paying for someone elses gas, or paying too much etc.. They will give you all the info you need. We have used Executive Car rental, it is on the second floor at the Port mall area. If you want to book it in advance, it will save you money, because you get the lower rates that way. Google Ace Car Rental Cozumel and you will find them. It will say on the reservation to go to Executive Car Rental at the port which is their agent. The first time I walked in semi disoriented because I wasn;t sure where we were going to dock and so I walked in and said if you want to me a car you'll match this deal from Avis or I will have to go down to the street and catch a cab to their office. They honored the rate and instead of giving us a minivan like I was quoted, they gave us a big giant van. The second time it was only the four of us, so we got a little tiny Nissan with A/C for like $12 day plus all the insurance and junk... It was a very inexpensive trip.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 7th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the info. I was on the site you referred me to and they sound good. Do they have sites at both piers (not sure if we will dock at Intl pier)? I was looking at a Jeep. It seems like Avis is actually cheaper, would you still recommend reserving @ Ace or take the chance when we get there. I have to say I am interested in exploring the island because I pretty much stayed with good ol' Chankanaab and downtown. I am looking forward to a margarita (or two) at Panchos Backyard Grill!
Dec '00 - RCCL Grandeur of the Seas
Mar '96 - Carnival Imagination
Mar '94 - NCL S/S Norway
Old January 7th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Admiral

Yes they are at both ports. They will likely honor Avis's pricing, they did for me the first time. One thing to check on, does Avis offer a zero deductible damage insurance waiver? Ace did and that's one of the reason's I ended up with them again. In mexico there are some really hinky laws. So if by chance you should get in an accident, all of the damages have to be paid for before you leave the country or you could be detained. Many of the loss damage waivers have $1000 deductibles. For me it was worth $20 - 30 not to have to worry about it.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 8th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Captain

We have a Jeep rented for our upcoming trip to Coz. We rented through Avis via cozumelinsider.com. It is going to be $52 for the day with the zero deductable insurance that beenie weenie was referring to. We also have the same protection with our travel insurance that we added on. Can't be too careful in a foreign country. This will be the first time we have rented in Coz., so we will see how it works out. We will find out in a couple of weeks.
Gary
Glory Western 2-07
Ecstasy 01-08
Ecstasy Feb. 1st. & Feb. 6th. 2010 B to B
Freedom 12-12-10
Freedom 09-24-11
Triumph 09-10-12
Triumph 09-15-12
Triumph 09-23-13
Triumph 09-28-13

Old January 8th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Captain

As I understand it in Mexico Only Mexican Insurance is valid so you can't count on a credit for example to protect you. I have heard that insurance is not required but if you are in an accident they can hold you in jail while they figure out who is responsible and then collect the damages from the responsible party. Not my idea of a fun vacation. Insurance relieves you of this problem. Therefore the small amount it costs is well worth it.
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old January 8th, 2008, 07:05 PM
First Mate

Be careful driving anywhere in Mexico - in some places car accidents are a criminal offense.
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013