Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 15th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Admiral

Default CNN Article: 13 ways to save money on a cruise

13 ways to save money on a cruise

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/trave...ips/index.html
Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Admiral

Default Re: CNN Article: 13 ways to save money on a cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1959
Thanks Michelle. Some of these are really good.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Admiral

you're welcome, I learned something new, too, so I of course, knew I HAD to share it with my cruisemates
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I agree, for the most part on the article.

I do disagree on the cruise air. Yes, you can get a rotten itinerary for flights, but it all depends on how many flights out of your city there are to your destination. If you live in a city with three or more airlines with at least six or more options for flights to the hope port of the ship then you have it made. I am not in that boat at all.

If I want to fly to Miami I really don't have much choice for decent flights, in fact I have NO flights that leave after 8am (MT) with arrivals in Miami anywhere from 1pm to after midnight (ET). I have three flights to Miami that will get me there before 8pm at night and TWO of the flights leave at 12:30am and 1am, yes, the red eye flight. The late 8pm arrival leaves at around 8am. If I fly any of the US based air carriers the flight time is anyhwere from 10 hours to 16 hours and minimum one connection (or two). I can't find a flight, hotel, and transfer for under $500. I can find a flight for aorund $700+, but not much less than that to Miami.

The good side is if I take a cruise that starts/ends in Vancouver, I can fly to Vancover for less than $200 the day of the cruise on Westjet since it is a 1.5 hour flight away and I get one hour back because Vancouver is Pacific Time....

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old January 15th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel
I agree, for the most part on the article.

I do disagree on the cruise air. Yes, you can get a rotten itinerary for flights, but it all depends on how many flights out of your city there are to your destination. If you live in a city with three or more airlines with at least six or more options for flights to the hope port of the ship then you have it made. I am not in that boat at all.

If I want to fly to Miami I really don't have much choice for decent flights, in fact I have NO flights that leave after 8am (MT) with arrivals in Miami anywhere from 1pm to after midnight (ET). I have three flights to Miami that will get me there before 8pm at night and TWO of the flights leave at 12:30am and 1am, yes, the red eye flight. The late 8pm arrival leaves at around 8am. If I fly any of the US based air carriers the flight time is anyhwere from 10 hours to 16 hours and minimum one connection (or two). I can't find a flight, hotel, and transfer for under $500. I can find a flight for aorund $700+, but not much less than that to Miami.

The good side is if I take a cruise that starts/ends in Vancouver, I can fly to Vancover for less than $200 the day of the cruise on Westjet since it is a 1.5 hour flight away and I get one hour back because Vancouver is Pacific Time....
Your travel situation raises a good point. For people that live in or near major airline hubs (Chicago, Las Vegas, LAX, NYC, Miami, DC, Boston, Atlanta, etc.) Carnival cannot beat what you can find on your own. However, for people that live in areas that are either less serviced or are hampered by differences in time zones, Carnival may be able to beat what a person can do on their own.

I live in NYC and have three major airports to chose from. Carnival cannot beat what I can get on my own with a little research and then the patience to wait for a sale.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old January 16th, 2008, 02:12 AM
Admiral

"1. Buy early " Agree. That works for me
" 2. Skip the air-inclusive cruise. " disagree. based on my experiences, the ship's air saves me a lot of headache. Some travel agents have insisted we do air separate while others insist on inclusive air.

"3. Find a preferred agent. " When your town has two travel agencies, you take what's there and works.
"4. Think small, think shoulder-season" Totally agree. I always book an inside "small" cabin rate . In Alaska I took a September cruise, but it was colder than summer. it was much cheaper so I packed extra cloths.
"5. Become a shareholder" You know I attempted that, but my bookie( stock advisor) wouldn't hear of it.

"6. Ask about discounts" I do that all the time and it works.. When booking I provide the past guest # and inquire of other discounts.

"7. Private tours can save you big money" This may work for groups, but as a solo traveler I'll stick with ship tours thank you very much.

"8. Become a frequent cruiser" Hey I try to be ... and milk my previous sailings for all I can obtain.
"9. For a free upgrade, tell them you're a VIP." And lie ??
"10. Don't get on the bus. " I like that bus waiting for me at the airport. It saves headache.
"11. Get a soda sticker. " Don't drink soda. The ice tea is free !

"12. try these two booze tricks." I don't drink ! Some people must REALLY be hooked to smuggle booze onto a cruise ship.

"13. Buy your next cruise ... on your cruise. " Easier said than done !

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old January 16th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth
"7. Private tours can save you big money" This may work for groups, but as a solo traveler I'll stick with ship tours thank you very much."
Just a note ... private tours don't necessarily mean solo tours. You could meet a group onboard or even beforehand on cruise message boards such as this one and arrange a private group tour. You'd still be a part of a group, yet you will save some serious money ... not to mention have a far better quality tour.

I've done this sort of thing on many cruises. You'll meet up with a group at the message board "Meet and Greet" onboard and get to talking. You'll find that another couple is looking to rent a car while in some of the ports, and putting together their own tour. Often you can join them and chip in for the car rental. They're happy because they are saving a few bucks on the rental, and you're happy because you've gotten a wonderful tour for probably half the price the ship is charging ... and for less too!

So private tours work great for solos too.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old January 16th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth
"7. Private tours can save you big money" This may work for groups, but as a solo traveler I'll stick with ship tours thank you very much."
Just a note ... private tours don't necessarily mean solo tours. You could meet a group on-board or even beforehand on cruise message boards such as this one and arrange a private group tour. You'd still be a part of a group, yet you will save some serious money ... not to mention have a far better quality tour.

I've done this sort of thing on many cruises. You'll meet up with a group at the message board "Meet and Greet" on-board and get to talking. You'll find that another couple is looking to rent a car while in some of the ports, and putting together their own tour. Often you can join them and chip in for the car rental. They're happy because they are saving a few bucks on the rental, and you're happy because you've gotten a wonderful tour for probably half the price the ship is charging ... and for less too!

So private tours work great for solos too.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Maybe so for some, but not me. It's been my experience that one can't get a group to agree on anything and what happens is the alpha male/female does it his or her way and the rest follows. The "meet on board" forums that I have used rarely seem to offer anyone who enjoys my interest.
Personally, I like the fact that I can sit in my home right now and window shop for scheduled tours. Many can even be booked months ahead of time. As a matter of fact, for my April cruise I have already booked 3 shore excursions and needn't beg any one's permission or even coordinate it with conflicting wishes. These tickets will be delivered to my room upon embarkation or shortly afterwards.

/ticker.png">