Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 16th, 2008, 10:35 AM
First Mate

Default Carnival Wait Staff/2nd dinner seating

I have been reading several reviews from people who have cruised within the past 6 months. Several have made comments that they didn't think the Wait Staff were very friendly???

Please tell me why you didn't think they were that friendly? Is it because you think they didn't spend enough time at your table, was not talkative enough, or what?

I wonder if they reason could be becuase once in a while, you did not include them, or talk with them once in a while???

Also, if you had 2nd dinner seating, did you find the Wait Staff seeming more "tired" than if you had been at the "1st" seating?

brneyes
Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Admiral

I've always sat at second seating. I found my waiters to be friendly and efficient. I never expect to be "entertained" just served in a nice manner and the food get to my table hot. The few times that the head waiter did make us laugh was nice but most of the time was spent talking with my tablemates.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old January 16th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

My last cruise was actually 7 months ago on the Glory. We had late seating and Bianca (our waitress) was one of the best we have ever had (this was our 5th cruise). So good, we actually took the time, when we got back home, to write a letter to Carnival praising her great work, friendliness, professionalism and attitude.

Conquest 6/05
Triumph 2/06
Holiday 5/06
Miracle 2/07
Glory 6/07
Holiday 2/08
Holiday 2/08 (B2B)
Legend 1/09
Spirit 5/09
Holiday 8/09
Triumph 12/09
Valor 5/10
Old January 16th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

I've sat on second and first seating... I never had any problems with the waiters ever. They've been perfect in terms of service and friendliness. The waiters assistants and drink girl are either lazy or incompetent in a couple of cases. But at the end of the day, I've been fed and not poisoned and that's a good day in my books! ha
Old January 16th, 2008, 05:45 PM
First Mate

That's what I thought???, when I ask the question.

I would say for the "majority" of the time, our waitstaff has been good, and that is who I TIP, not the head waiter, as all he generally does is say "hello/goodby."

I did have one time (the whole cruise) where I was drinking HOT tea for dinner, it was "supposed" to be that way, but it cooled off too fast, probably because of the air conditioning on the ship.

brneyes
Old January 17th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Captain

We had second seating on the Valor Dec 30th. Our waiter and his assistant were very friendly. the assistand did not do a very good job, our water would sit empty and coffee cups too. We got iced tea one night and never again. We tipped the waiter extra and the assistant less.

AKcruiser
Old January 17th, 2008, 04:00 AM
Captain

On the conquest last sept we had a great waiter and assistant. Infact our assistant waiter was so "cute" and tried so hard, i believe he endeared himself even more to us. Our waiter was so nice that on our last night, i was sick (so was hubby) and we came down in jeans and capris with tshirts to do our tipping, but werent going to eat. We werent THAT ILL just to much sun and not enough sleep.

Our waiter and assistant bent over backwards to get us to stay and eat our meal at the table. He said we were dressed fine and he actually wanted to wait on us. I felt blessed and because my tablemates also asked, we decided to heck with the jeans and capri's we were staying. It was one of my favorite nights at dinner.

I'd say out of a scale of 1 - 10, i'd give our waiter an 8 and our assistant an 8. I'll let you know how the ecstasy is next week.
Old January 17th, 2008, 12:47 PM
First Mate

I'm GLAD to read the good reports of the waiter and their assistant, at least some of the assistants, for as I said, I had been reading some "negative" reports on them.

brneyes
Old January 17th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to ara0926

On the 2 sailings that I have been on I have had the late seating.

My first cruise, on the Elation, our head waiter was horrible. Our table would be the first one seated out of his 3 or 4 and we would ALWAYS be the last to to waited on and the last to leave. And he wasn't overly nice. He did his job but nothing extra or he would get annoyed. Our assistant waiter Dale was still very new to his job and he wasn't perfect. He had a great personality and I loved him dearly. My friend and I by accident sat in his section at the Lido buffet for breakfast the 1st morning and made sure to be there the rest of the week. In fact we still keep in touch and one of these days we hope to be on the same ship as him again!

My experience in September on the Glory was amazing. Our head waitress Maggie was amazing. For some reason not many of her tables would come to dinner so 4 out of the 7 nights we almost had her to ourselves. We were able to really talk with her and learn her story and how she ended up working on a ship. I celebrated my 29th Birthday on the cruise and she went above and beyond to make my dinner extra special! Our assistant waiter Made (Ma-Day) was adorable and took care of our table.

Looking forward to seeing how the dining service on the Inspiration (in 2 1/2 weeks) will be. Hopefully it will mirror more close to the Glory!
Carnival Glory 2010 St. John NB Canada
Carnival Legend 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Spirit 2009 Alaska
Carnival Splendor 2008 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Sensation 2008 Nassau
Carnival Inspiration 2008 Cozumel
Carnival Glory 2007 Western Caribbean
Elation 2006 Eastern Caribbean
Old January 17th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Passenger

I've been on 8 Carnival cruises and have always received great service
by the wait staff. Some were better than others. But, all were great.
Most recently was 12-16 on the Valor.
Old January 17th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Admiral

I'm with most of you! I loved our wait staff and they were quite funny and efficient. We even got up and danced with them on the last dinner.
I have nothing to compare it to as far as cruises since this was our first cruise, however, I know good service when I see it.
8) 8)
No complaints here!
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old January 17th, 2008, 05:32 PM
First Mate

Those "reports" sound pretty good, when it comes to the wait staff.

One of you mentioned about having the table almost to yourself. I know what you mean. Sometimes that is good, sometimes that is bad. The reason I say this, we had some real good wait saff that really worked hard. On the last day most of the people that were originally at our table, were not there. Possibly getting their luggage ready, but the least they could have done was "sho up" , and tip the wait staff, as they were really good, but then maybe they figured they would get their tip through the tipping they put on your bill.

I as well as others, don't do that. We get our envelopes from the Purser's desk, and tip however we want to, NOT what the cruise line says.

brneyes