Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 16th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Dining rooms and jeans?

How often do people in jeans actually get turned away from the dining rooms (for the evening meals)? I personally have never seen them turn anyone away and wondered how often it really occurs? I noticed on our last several cruises (with the exception of formal night) there were always people in the dining room in jeans and/or T shirts.
Carnival Celebration 03/06
Carnival Fantasy 12/06
Carnival Fantasy 04/07
Carnival Glory 10/07
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2008
Carnival Fascination Oct 2008
Carnival Holiday April 2009
Carnival Dream Dec 2009
Carnival Triumph Jan 2010
Carnival Dream May 2010
Carnival Elation Jan 2011
Carnival Triumph May 2011
Carnival Fascination Feb 2012
Carnival Conquest 12/09/12
Carnival Fascination 01/06/13
Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2008, 11:18 PM
First Mate

I likewise have never seen anyone turned away.
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old January 16th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Captain

me either. There were a few who wore shorts on the Valor Dec 30. One man wore shorts every night, but I think he is the one that they lost his garmet bag. They kept asking all week if anyone else might have it. But when others say him wearing shorts they joined in too. Could be he had his clothes and just opted to wear them who knows.

IMHO new clean jeans and a nice shirt ( not t-shirt) are ok except for formal nights.

AKcruiser
Old January 17th, 2008, 04:04 AM
Captain

im actually thinking of wearing black jeans one night at dinner (gasp)...i just dont feel the need to pack pantyhose this trip. I have a nice pair of black jeans and a pretty top to wear, and im probably going to wear them.

I also think on formal night im wearing a pair of raw silk black slacks and a nice shirt. My hubbys suit has a rip in it, and he doesnt have time to get fitted for one (he's a big guy) so he is opting for a shirt/slacks/tie.

This is a 5 night cruise and were just not sweating it as much this time. I wont wear BLUE jeans and casual shirts, but do plan on wearing silk capri's black jeans (once) and slacks to dinner this trip. My son is only taking black jeans and 2 pairs of slacks also. He's 10, he'll look nice.
Old January 17th, 2008, 04:05 AM
Captain

oops double post
Old January 17th, 2008, 04:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

50 cruises and NEVER, ever seen anyone turned away, never!
I don't care nor does it bother me what other people wear, period!
I just mind my own business, not others'

Captain
Old January 17th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to cana57

unless it's your first night, pass on the jeans in the dining rooms, even for breakfast and lunch.

In fairness to all of the other cruisers that take the time and efford to look presentable for dinner, you should do the same. Would you wear jeans to a better restaurant at home?

Carnival Imagination 5/4/06
Carnival Fantasy 9/30/06
Carnival Inspiration 5/3/07
Carnival Triumph 10/13/07
Old January 17th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Beginner

Default Dining room and jeans

I was on the Victory last fall, and arrived a little early
for dinner and waited. I saw 3-5 people turned away
for wearing jeans. It was done by the assistant maitre'd.
However, I often wear black jeans, and I think that
you can get away with wearing them. No one is going to
do a close up search.
Also, I never saw anyone turned away for not wearing a
coat and tie on formal night. I think that it is ok so long as
you wear a shirt with a collar.
Stan
Old January 17th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

On the Conquest, on formal night, a man at my table wore jeans, a white shirt, and tee shirt...nuff said?:(

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 17th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Passenger

Im a newbie. First cruise coming up in September. I was wondering.....so what are people actually supposed to wear for dinner? I know men should wear a polo shirt and khakis. What do the girls wear? I really dont wnat to show up every night dressed wrong....I would be mortified if I packed all wrong.
Old January 18th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to cruisingrandma2007

I like to take a couple pair of Black slacks and some dressy looking capri's also. Noce tops and a skirt maybe. But i do wear a dress for formal nites. usually a floor length. I have had a couple of my kids get married and have worn the dress from the weddings. I take a few pairs of sandles and one pair of heels. go for comfort and have a great time.
Old January 18th, 2008, 01:18 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2bgreene
Im a newbie. First cruise coming up in September. I was wondering.....so what are people actually supposed to wear for dinner? I know men should wear a polo shirt and khakis. What do the girls wear? I really dont wnat to show up every night dressed wrong....I would be mortified if I packed all wrong.
I take one pair of black pants (two for a 7 night cruise!) that I ONLY wear to dinner with various tops each night. I also have a matching black sweater. Then I go back and change into something more comfortable! Works for me!

Rhapsody of the Seas - long ago, in a galaxy far away!
Ecstasy - Jan. 2007
Conquest - Sept. 2007 cruisemates 4Bs
Ecstasy - Jan. 2008
Old January 18th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Ok, I'm a first time cruiser, but the "you have to dress up" attitude of some is really sad in my humble opinion. I despise dressing up, it kills me to wear ties. (That said I am planning slacks, shirt, tie for formal night - but I fully understand those for whom this is not a comfortable or desireable thing to do).

People are paying large ammounts of money for these vacations, and they should be able to be comfortable and enjoy themselves. I do think t-shirts are a little over-the-top, but if someone wants to wear jeans and a polo or other decent shirt I don't think anyone should complain in any way, shape or form. If dressing up is your thing, by all means go for it. But for some of us that takes our fun AWAY. Should we have to suffer just so you can feel good?

And for the person who asked, YES I have been known to wear jeans and a nice shirt to nice restaraunts around town.

Carnival Conquest April 2008
Carnival Conquest April 2009

Old January 18th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Captain

recently been paying closer attention to this subject, and how the policies are written regarding dining attire on carnival. It just asks people not to wear shorts at dinner basically.

You CAN wear shorts to breakfast and lunch absolutely in the dining room. Why the heck get dressed up then? I wore shorts everytime i ate breakfast in there. Its fine and not a problem.

I have never worn jeans, but saw tons of jeans wearer's on the cruise in sept on conquest. Most all looked very nice in Jeans. In TX you betcha i have worn jeans to a nicer restaurant. Again, its texas.

That being said i didnt take jeans on the Conquest and i did dress more formal on formal night, but on my ecstacy trip, im NOT in the mood. I'll look very nice on formal night, but im not taking my skirt, hubbys wearing a nice shirt/tie but not taking his suit since its not wearable right now. And heaven forbid im thinking i'll enjoy wearing my black jeans one night at dinner.

Mostly i have a pair of black pants, kahki pants and black capris for other nights. IM NOT PACKING PANTYHOSE this trip! (or my girdle tyvm)
Old January 18th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Admiral

On our cruise last year on the Glory, we sat very close to the Maitre D' in the formal dining room and actually saw him turn away men in sloppy T shirts with no sleeves and wearing hats turned backwards on their heads...the entire group looked like they were headed for a concert on the beach. He told them they were free to eat at the other dining venues on the ship but would not be welcome in the dining room wearing their current attire.
Old January 18th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetattoo
On our cruise last year on the Glory, we sat very close to the Maitre D' in the formal dining room and actually saw him turn away men in sloppy T shirts with no sleeves and wearing hats turned backwards on their heads...the entire group looked like they were headed for a concert on the beach. He told them they were free to eat at the other dining venues on the ship but would not be welcome in the dining room wearing their current attire.
i agree with this, surf shorts, hats on period, sloppy tshirts are really not even respectable at your moms table let alone in a dining room on a cruise ship.
Old January 18th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
On the Conquest, on formal night, a man at my table wore jeans, a white shirt, and tee shirt...nuff said?
Oh My!!!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old January 18th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Familiar Face

I can see not wearing tank tops and ball caps. But hey, the food won't taste any different by dresing up or wearing jeans.......

Old January 19th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Captain

I just purchaed the entire first season of the Sopranos on DVD. There is a GREAT scene in one of the episodes where Tony and a friend are dining in a fancy restaurant. They then notice a twenty something "generation me" guy sitting at another table with his date. The guy has a baseball cap and Tony and his buddy both find it very annoying. Tony walks over to the guy and TELLS him to take the hat off. The kid refuses at first but Tony turns up the heat a little and the kid wises up. I wish they would bring Tony on board ship to enforce the dress code...It's a beautiful scene and was obviously written by someone who is tired of underdressed people in nice public places or at least men who aren't decent enough to take off their nasty a** ball caps when they are in a restaurant..Anybody else seen this scene of the Sopranos?
Old January 19th, 2008, 10:13 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete

While jeans are not prohibited on casual nights, they are not included in the list of dress the lines try to paint, in an effort for those unsure how to feel comfortable wearing what others are wearing.

Then there are the standouts that wish to look better, or wish to look worse, than everybody else.

And then there are those that have no clue.

But I've yet to see anyone turned away wearing them on casual nights. Formal nights, yes.
Past Cruises: Explorer of the Seas 2008 Explorer of the Seas 2007 Carnival Victory 2007 Explorer of the Seas 2006 Legend 2005 Miracle 2004 Disney Wonder 2004; Pride 2003 Legend 2002 Disney Wonder 2002 Destiny 2001 Victory 2000 Triumph 1999 Jubilee 1998 Imagination 1997 Imagination 1996 Fascination 1995 Ecstasy 1993 Fantasy 1990 Jubilee 1990 NCL Seaward 1989 Jubilee 1988
Old January 19th, 2008, 04:49 PM
kookylabooka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2board
I just purchaed the entire first season of the Sopranos on DVD. There is a GREAT scene in one of the episodes where Tony and a friend are dining in a fancy restaurant. They then notice a twenty something "generation me" guy sitting at another table with his date. The guy has a baseball cap and Tony and his buddy both find it very annoying. Tony walks over to the guy and TELLS him to take the hat off. The kid refuses at first but Tony turns up the heat a little and the kid wises up. I wish they would bring Tony on board ship to enforce the dress code...It's a beautiful scene and was obviously written by someone who is tired of underdressed people in nice public places or at least men who aren't decent enough to take off their nasty a** ball caps when they are in a restaurant..Anybody else seen this scene of the Sopranos?
No it is not a great or beautiful scene.Just part of a fantasy based TV show,not reality.
Old January 19th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I was on Carnival Pride in February 07. There was a man at my table who wore dungarees and tee shirt every night. No one ever said a word to him.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old January 19th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Admiral

Laura, no one said a word to the man at my table either, and this was on a formal night, his friends at our table dressed in a tux, and a long evening dress. Since alternative dining is basically fleet wide, that's where I think tee shirts and jeans belong. If you walk into the formal dining room, jmho, you should dress for it.

I guess I wonder, if this man was invited to his friends formal wedding,
would he dress in jeans and a tee? I just think it's disrespectful, of the venue. Now there are options galore, better suited for the casual passengers.

Another way to look at it, is a genearational differences. Again, JMHO!

Old January 20th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Admiral

The jeans in dining room debate......now there is a can of worms!
I have been misunderstood and subsequently flamed over this issue on more than one occasion.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old January 20th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Admiral

Thoth, Historically, I think this is the MOST addressed, and argued topic on every cruise board, ever created.......tempers can fly, on both sides of this issue..We can respectfully disagree, state our feelings pro and con , without, bashing.....that's the Cruisemate's way:):) [I hope:)]

Old January 21st, 2008, 12:18 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
Thoth, Historically, I think this is the MOST addressed, and argued topic on every cruise board, ever created.......tempers can fly, on both sides of this issue..We can respectfully disagree, state our feelings pro and con , without, bashing.....that's the Cruisemate's way [I hope]
And the thing is, this whole subject is "much ado about nothing" as William Shakespeare might say. I dress up for dinner, but don't notice how others dress.
You are correct, Cruisemates is usually more respectful than some sites.

/ticker.png">
Old January 22nd, 2008, 09:11 PM
Passenger

With my accent (very southern & country) I really dont want to be the one who shows up at dinner in shorts and a tee shirt. LoL. I dont want to be the one called redneck on our boat. So Im thinking my charcoal dresspants and a nice shirt. One more thing....everyone is advising to bring a sweater. Will I really need a sweater? How cold does it get at night? Is it just windy or really cold?
Old January 23rd, 2008, 03:47 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2bgreene
With my accent (very southern & country) I really dont want to be the one who shows up at dinner in shorts and a tee shirt. LoL. I dont want to be the one called redneck on our boat. So Im thinking my charcoal dresspants and a nice shirt. One more thing....everyone is advising to bring a sweater. Will I really need a sweater? How cold does it get at night? Is it just windy or really cold?
Being from Mississippi, I understand completely... I can empathize in that many of us in the South do indeed come from a respectable upbringing and wish to remind others of that fact... or we wish to prevent any misunderstandings in that regard. 8)
On sweaters, unless on an Alaskan cruise, I haven't had need of a sweater. In Alaska they come most handy, but not so in the Caribbean . That's just me though.

/ticker.png">
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:33 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith
Default I SAID IT BEFORE AND I WILL SAY IT AGAIN..............

If everyone just minded THEIR OWN business and not OTHER PEOPLE'S business, we would not be having these arguments and sometimes heated debates. (Although in a much more civilized manner here on cruisemates)

While we both dress up in the evening, we are just as happy sharing a dinner table with someone dressed in like, as we are sharing with someone in a t-shirt, shorts and sandals. And it makes no difference to either of us if our tablemates are straight or gay, single or married, or if they are black, white or yellow!

People are people are people, at least in my book.

Captain
Old January 23rd, 2008, 10:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

I hear you Captain!!! It would be a much nicer world if people would just mind their own business, and stop judging others by their own standards.

As the poet Parkingham Beatty said:

"By your own soul learn to live. If some men thwart you, take no heed. If some men hate you, have no care. Sing your song, dream your dream. Hope your hope and pray your prayer."

Now let me step off of my soapbox for a minute. On our cruise on Glory last week we saw just about every sort of attire you could imagine in the dinning room. We often saw people wearing shorts with golf shirts, flowered shirts and some with just t-shirts, to people that wore tux's every night. Even saw a few people wearing hats. None of which bothered us in the least. Its your vacation and aside from fromal nights wear what you will. Now personally we love to dress up and I wore a suit almost every night. On the last night however I did wear a pair of black/dress jeans with a shirt and sports coat. And I dont believe anyone noticed the jeans. And yes, Heather and I enjoy a nice dinner out once a month and I have no problems with wearing a nice pair of dress jeans and a sports coat out. The people that run Morton's and Ruth's Chris dont seem to mind either.

So in my own opinion, wear what you want and hold your head high. After all this is the Fun Ship board isnt it, not Cunard.

Randy and Heather

Destiny '11-booked!
The Royal Cancun '10(A.I.)
Dream '10
Sun Palace Nov. '09 (A.I.)
Glory '08
Sun Palace '07(A.I.)
Enchanment of the Seas '06
Aventura Spa Palace'04 (A.I.)
Couples Negril '04 (Honeymoon, A.I.)
Big Red Boat '93