Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 17th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default sea sickness

I need advice...over the counter meds vs patch vs braclets vs who knows what....Give me sound advice a little confused.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Admiral

I'd highly recommend "Bonine", or Mechlizine. (same stuff) It works, it's inexpensive, you only have to take one a day, and it has a minimum of side effects. (ie: not much drowsy feeling)

Ken
"SkyMaster"
Old January 17th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Passenger

Default Re: sea sickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisegal
I need advice...over the counter meds vs patch vs braclets vs who knows what....Give me sound advice a little confused.

Thanks
Have been on 3 cruises & no sea sickness yet. I take Ginger Root capsules 3 days before sailing. Also carry pressure point wrist bracelets & have used them. Both can be purchase at walmart, health, drug stores etc. So far so good . I stay way from meds as I have a low drug tolerance. I don't want to sleep thru trip . A friend on last cruise used patch & still got sick. It WAS rocking !! Good Luck!! I'm sure you will get other advice from more experienced cruisers. This is the best site for any cruise info.

Ecstasy 1997
Imagination 2001
Holiday 2003
Old January 17th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith
Default Any Guesses why................

I'm staying out of this one????

Captain
Old January 17th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Beginner

Last year I used the seasickness patch, worked great! I am easily sick due to motion and I never felt sick at all. The only downfall..... my vision was weird the last two days, could not see anything unless it was far from my face (menus had to be held at arms length). My husband had NO side effects though so who knows.

Plan on using it again this year!
Old January 17th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Admiral

you'll probably only need pills for the small boat excursions you may go on, tenders, etc. not the cruise ship - unless you happy to be going where there is rough water.
Old January 18th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Passenger

Thanks so much for this post. It seems the older I get the more motion sickness I get. I even get dizzy on the treadmill. LoL Seriously. Im going to definately try taking ginger root before sailing. Should I continue to take it during my cruise? I plan to speak to my Dr. also. Just wondering
Old January 18th, 2008, 02:23 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Any Guesses why................

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainEdwardJohnSmith
I'm staying out of this one????

Captain
Captain...I'd like to know why!

Rhapsody of the Seas - long ago, in a galaxy far away!
Ecstasy - Jan. 2007
Conquest - Sept. 2007 cruisemates 4Bs
Ecstasy - Jan. 2008
Old January 19th, 2008, 03:40 AM
Passenger

HI,

I read the advise above about the pressure point bands. They're called "Sea Bands" and you can get them at CVS, most Walmarts, and online. They're $9. The great thing about them is that they will stop sea sickness after it starts, but pills won't. My grand-daughter wears them on trips and she can read in the back seat of the car. I get very motion sick and sea bands take care of 90% of my problems. On those rare occasions (flying) when I need more, I take one of the pills the dispensary on Carnival ships gives out for free. I always grab an extra handful for emergencies. Carnival ships are so huge you rarely feel motion anyway.
Have a great cruise.
Old January 19th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Admiral

I always take along Bonine (just in case!) and found that I needed it on the last cruise! That is the first time, in 9 cruises, that I felt queazy, due to motion. I had DH pull out the suitcases until he found the Bonine, and that took care of the problem. The patches are typically recommended for those that have extreme sensitivity to motion sickness. Try one of the other methods, if you are not prone to motion sickness.

Happy cruising and smooth seas!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old January 19th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Passenger

That's it, that's the name. Bonine. Free from Carnival at the medic's office on board.
Old January 19th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Shahk

I absolutely recommend Bonine. I can just look at a ship and get sea sick. I've took only one Bonine every morning and was never sick and it did not make me sleepy.

Simple precautions will make your voyage delightful.
Old January 20th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2bgreene
Thanks so much for this post. It seems the older I get the more motion sickness I get. I even get dizzy on the treadmill. LoL Seriously. Im going to definately try taking ginger root before sailing. Should I continue to take it during my cruise? I plan to speak to my Dr. also. Just wondering
Yes, take the ginger root every day of cruise. You can also take a few days after cruise, until you get your land legs back. Hope it works for you, like it did for me & DH. Have a GREAT TIME!!

Ecstasy 1997
Imagination 2001
Holiday 2003
Old January 22nd, 2008, 05:16 PM
Beginner

Default Sea Sick

Bonine worked wonders for us. We encountered very rough seas last Wednesday and the Bonine stopped all quesyness. No sleepiness at all.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 05:17 PM
Captain

My first few cruises I tried the prescription patch and followed the Dr's directions by wearing it 72 hours before the cruise. It worked fine on the seasickness, but made my vision blurry.

I now use (about 6-7 cruises) the Less-Drowsy Dramamine that you can take every 24 hours. It works great for us. I take one on the morning before I even board the ship and then one each morning. In extremely rough waters, I will take two. I continue to take them for a few days after my cruise as well.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old January 27th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Familiar Face

I just got back (yesterday) from Spirit trip on the Mexican Riviera. Great trip and my first cruise!
I was concerned about sea sickness also and asked everyone's opinion on the Board also. I took their very good advice and purchased Bonine. My big worry was that I also take prescription allergy meds and I was concerned that the two would knock me out! Anyway, I asked my pharmacist about it, and she said to take the Bonine at night with my other meds. The pharmacist also recommended starting the Bonine med the day before the cruise, to get it into my system. I had no problems. I discontinued the Bonine after a day or two with no issues at all.
I was really pleased that with the stabilizers on the Spirit, I really had no problem with sea sickness. Only health issue I had was a touch of food poisoning I got from somewhere. Now about my land legs....