Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 19th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Passenger

Default Should I get a spray tan?

Has anyone ever gotten a spray tan before vacation? I'm so pale I would like to get a base tan, and I won't go in a tanning bed.
Will it be messy?
Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

As I told you in your other thread on the same topic , try MAACO.
I hear they do an excellent paint job!
Look them up in your local yellow pages or search their website for the nearest location.
Here's an easy link:

www.maaco.com

Captain
Old January 19th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Amber19

I work in a tanning salon, and we have the Mystic Spray tan there. I love it. it doesn't look orange, and as long as you follow the directions, you'll be fine.

right before an event I always tan a lot so Im dark, but do Mystic on top of it. if you do decide to do it, make sure you exfoliate really well before going in. We also tell our customers not to wear any lotions or purfumes before doing it, and with the Mystic you have to wait 4-6 hours after doing it to shower or sweat. Not sure about the rules of other kinds of spray tanning tho.
Old January 19th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Passenger

I'm so glad I don't have to worry about tanning I've had an even tan year round my entire life
Old January 19th, 2008, 10:56 PM
First Mate

I would say if you are going to try it, do so very well in advance of your cruise and then if you are happy with the results, go again prior to your trip. For people who are already tan and just want to darken it up, it seems to work much better but if you are very pale, I wouldn’t recommend it. I've seen disastrous results even when people have taken extra care in exfoliating their skin, particularly elbow, knuckles, feet, etc., which end up dark orange. Good luck if you decide to try it.

Old January 20th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Captain

I totally agree with the suggestion to try if before you cruise and have it redone if you like the results. My sister and I both had it done 2 days before we cruised. We followed all the instructions, even going as far as wearing loose clothing home from the salon and wearing sandals and no socks (very cold to do in Alaska in the winter). We looked great.....for about 5 days. We were sitting out on our balcony when my sister said ummm look at your ankles. I had orange elephant looking skin! On further inspection it was the same on my elbows, knees etc. (my sis was the same). By the next day it had spread everywhere!

AKcruiser
Old January 20th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Admiral

A good number of people seem to not have gotten the word that "tan" isn't "in/fashionable" anymore. Find some self-esteem and just go as you are. The sun is bad for your skin but those chemicals are bad as well. I haven't "sunbathed" in 25+ years, my only experience with the sun is when I'm in it going from home to car to work to store... I wear sunglasses every day to protect my eyes and the area around them from sun, wind, snow and cold. I'm turning 49 next month and I still get asked to dance by 28 year old guys who think I'm around 30.

I have seen women younger than me who look OLDER than me and it's because their skin is leathered and damaged from tanning, tanning beds and tanning salon chemicals.
Old January 21st, 2008, 11:31 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1959
A good number of people seem to not have gotten the word that "tan" isn't "in/fashionable" anymore. Find some self-esteem and just go as you are. The sun is bad for your skin but those chemicals are bad as well. I haven't "sunbathed" in 25+ years, my only experience with the sun is when I'm in it going from home to car to work to store... I wear sunglasses every day to protect my eyes and the area around them from sun, wind, snow and cold. I'm turning 49 next month and I still get asked to dance by 28 year old guys who think I'm around 30.

I have seen women younger than me who look OLDER than me and it's because their skin is leathered and damaged from tanning, tanning beds and tanning salon chemicals.
Michelle...what do you do during the day on a cruise?
Old January 22nd, 2008, 03:49 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to MikeyMisha
Default do it.......

Everything in Moderation. You dont have to kill yourself by going every day of the year......but for a cruise.......get a one month all you can tan deal and go every third day or so....maybe every second day as you get closer then get the spray tan. To hell with it. You only live once and I dont care what anyone says........MOST people look, feel, and have a better time on a "hot" cruise than going pale white and inevitable getting burned to a crisp. I cant tell you how many people I saw a few years ago on the Pride out of Florida.......one dude had to go to the doctor and couldnt come out of his room for three days. yeah, he was just plain stupid, but if you use common sense these kind of catastrophies can be avoided. Im pretty white with green eyes so I can be sun sensitive. The one month tan is really all you need then use precaution the first day, especially.

Well, just one man's opinion. I also eat steak and baked potatoes with butter and sour cream.........who want to live forever??? hahaha

Take care whatever you decide......

Mikey
Old January 22nd, 2008, 04:06 PM
Passenger

BTW, no offense intended to anyone that disagrees with this philosophy. I tend to overstate things at times....haha I also agree that there is really nothing good about getting a tan except I think it makes most people feel better about walking about in a bikini or trunks, could save some pain from the sun if you overdo it on the cruise, and it tends to take about five to ten pounds off most people.....it gives an illusion of being a bit slimmer than pasty white in the bright sun does.

but, whatever floats your boat.

later

Mikey
Old January 22nd, 2008, 05:55 PM
First Mate

Well I'm probably different from everyone else. I don't do the tanning booth, but I have "discovered" using Dove or Jergans does a wonderful job for me.

brneyes
Old January 22nd, 2008, 06:46 PM
Passenger

Could you elaborate on the Dove and Jergens thing? I dont have a clue. Are alluding to lotion that tans you? I know you can buy premium lotions that will self tan you, but I dont know anyone who had any success with them......but then again the only time I would tan would be right before a sunny vacation whilst in the midst of winter at my home base. I've never even had a spray tan....i cant imagine standing there and being sprayed with an instant tan......the farthest I would personally go is a tanning booth. Thats hard enough.......
Old January 23rd, 2008, 01:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I second the recommendation you try it well in advance of your cruise. DH's ex-wife did it the day before her wedding and she turned orange!
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old January 23rd, 2008, 04:57 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMisha
Could you elaborate on the Dove and Jergens thing? I dont have a clue. Are alluding to lotion that tans you? I know you can buy premium lotions that will self tan you, but I dont know anyone who had any success with them......but then again the only time I would tan would be right before a sunny vacation whilst in the midst of winter at my home base. I've never even had a spray tan....i cant imagine standing there and being sprayed with an instant tan......the farthest I would personally go is a tanning booth. Thats hard enough.......
I've never had luck with tanning creams either. I have at least 10 of them under my sink, and I haven't been successful with any of them!
Old January 23rd, 2008, 05:24 PM
First Mate

The only thing I can tell you is the Dove works for me. Each day I put a little more on, and I keep getting darker. I can even tell it in the pictures that are taken of me. It does NOT streak, turn orange, or anything like that on me. Yes, I know years ago, self tanning creams did that, but this one does not do that to me.

I just came back from a wedding in Florida looking very tanned. In fact I have friends/co workers that say to me, "Have you been to a tanning booth?" I tell them no, it is Dove, and NO I do not work for the company. I understand that Jergens works the same way, but I've had enough supply on hand, as I live in Missouri, so I don't need the tan look very often, but believe you me, I will be using it the end of March.

This saves me time and money.

brneyes
Old January 23rd, 2008, 05:38 PM
Beginner

I got one when I went to Hawaii and it was not good. It wore off in places from rubbing on my clothes and looked like I had a disease or something. I now use Mary Kay self tanning lotion and it works great, has a good color for me.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:55 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by paula2329

Michelle...what do you do during the day on a cruise?
well I stay out of the sun as much as I can, and when hanging around the pool, pick a place in the shade. Just because you are outdoors doesn't mean you can't stay in the shade where ever there is any. I wear 70 SPF sunblock as well. If you could see my skin, you'd understand. I like having soft skin that looks like it's still 30 years old or younger.

About another comment up there, sorry, fat is fat whether it's tan or not.
Old January 24th, 2008, 04:23 PM
First Mate

Yes, I agree with you, fat is fat, whether tanned or not, but I don't recall anyone mentioning about fat, etc.

Would you please "enlighten" me on who said that? As you can see, I'm curious , and want to "read" it for myself.

brneyes
Old January 25th, 2008, 03:01 PM
First Mate

I always use the tanning beds for about 8 weeks before I cruise. or take any vacation that will involve a lot of time outside.

It's not vanity, I burn very easily so if I want to enjoy my trip gently building up a tan is a must. The paint on tan doesn't really help stopping the burn so I stick with the tanning bed.

If you just want the look you may be better off getting your tropical tan on the cruise then letting all your friends at home ooh and awh over your new look.

If you want to stop the burn then get a natural or booth tan before heading out. If you get an un-even lotion tan, you will get and un-even cruise tan that will be un-even when the lotion tan wears off.
Old January 25th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by brneyes
Yes, I agree with you, fat is fat, whether tanned or not, but I don't recall anyone mentioning about fat, etc.

Would you please "enlighten" me on who said that? As you can see, I'm curious , and want to "read" it for myself.

brneyes
Maybe she means that a tan helps a person look thinner????
Old January 25th, 2008, 06:23 PM
First Mate

I agree it does make some people look healthier and maybe even thinner but having had skin cancer so many times I've lost count, I don't worry about it any more. I return home from my cruise just as pastey-white as the day I left and I'm okay with that.

My Dermatologist said the issues I'm having now are probably from my childhood exposure so I can't wait to see what 2.5 years of tanning beds in the 90s is going to do to me when I'm in my 40s and 50s

Whatever you do, I wish you the best and a wonderful cruise! I might also add that Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Body Mist SPF 45 with helioplex is by far the best sunscreen I've found. Recommended by my Dr. of course.

Old January 26th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMisha
BTW, no offense intended to anyone that disagrees with this philosophy. I tend to overstate things at times....haha I also agree that there is really nothing good about getting a tan except I think it makes most people feel better about walking about in a bikini or trunks, could save some pain from the sun if you overdo it on the cruise, and it tends to take about five to ten pounds off most people.....it gives an illusion of being a bit slimmer than pasty white in the bright sun does.

but, whatever floats your boat.

later

Mikey
here's the quote from someone who thinks being tan makes people look slimmer
Old January 26th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Passenger

I don't know about thinner....but it sure makes you feel like you look a lot better! At least I feel better with some color!
Old January 26th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Admiral

If you are absolutely compelled to get a tan -- then spray it on. Tanning via the sun or tanning beds prematurely ages the sin at best, and causes skin cancer, including melanoma at worst. Besides is there anything that looks worse than some of these 60+ women whose skin turned to leather due to over-exposure to the sun years ago?

Sorry, but my dad, who worked in the sun a lot, died of melanoma at age 47. Donate to the cancer society!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old January 26th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstacy
...........Donate to the cancer society!

Interesting you brought that up, I do some volunteer work for the American Cancer Society and have seen first hand what a terrible, terrible, terrible killer it is, and that is putting it kindly. Many lives and dreams have been shattered by that scoundrel!

Captain
Old January 26th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Passenger

that is why tanning is to each his own. I like to tan and on the last 2 days of my cruise, I used 15 and 8 SPF, got a great tan, no burn at all, if i get cancer it would be my fault, just like someone else said, they eat meat/potatoes, so do it, eat salt, drink pop like it is going out of style. Me, thin (weight the same i did when i graduated high school), cholesterol is normal to low, no issues at all and I am coming up on 40. It all has to do with your body. some people could be in the sun all day, everyday and never get cancer. Look at some athletes who eat healty, yet die from heart disease. Yes cancer is one of those things you can possibly control, but it is a choice that each individual makes and to tell someone they are wrong to tan or not, is just plain wrong. I say do what you want, tanning bad, spray, nothing at all, just being careful to not get burned which in the end is the worst for your skin and the cancer part.
Old January 26th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Oh you can get one bottle of that lotion which you apply for about 1 week and it'll help you give you a healthy sunkissed glow. It's basically lotion but with a bit of self-tanner . . . they gave a sample-sized tube of it (the brand's Vaseline) on my last cruise on the Carnival Glory
Old January 26th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Admiral

Captain, Me too! I lost both my parents to it as did my wife -- and last year it took my best friend. I hate cancer with a passion!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old January 26th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Admiral

Yeah Dencruise, 40,000 dermatologists are wrong and you are right! I used to feel exactly the same way. At least we are both smart enough to try to get out of Denver for a week or two in the winter right?

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old January 26th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Passenger

i never said dermatologist were wrong, i just say everyone is different. And yes, getting out of Denver is nice (work for an airline) so i can get out a little more often than most. But today is nice and tomorrow, suppose to be 60! with snow in the mountains where they enjoy it for the skiers!

just a side note. My dermatologist gave me SPF 15, saying that it is good enough for a sunblock. Now i know others may say 30 and higher are better, but he was fine with 15. used to be that anything higher than 15 really wasn't any better for the sunblock, but maybe times have changed.