Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 24th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Beginner

Default Missed a boat and didn't have trip insurance

Has anyone ever missed a ship departure and didn't have travel insurance? We are just curious as to what the cruise line and airlines will do for you in this situation, and how much it cost you to catch up with the boat.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2008, 11:35 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to gfleo

I just missed my boat today , Jan 24 on the Navigator of the Seas, no insurance nothing, nada, niente
Caribbean Princess
C. Destiny
N.Pearl Nov
C.Valor Sept 2008
Ruby Princess
C.Splendor
Indy
Liberty OTS 2009
Carnival Liberty
Eurodam
Radiance OTS
Mariner OTS
C. Freedom
C. Triumph
Navigator OTS(TA)
C.Dream
Solstice 2010
Costa Fortuna
Summit
Norwegian Dawn
C.Glory Sept 2011
Brilliance OTS 2012
Mariner OTS (TA)
Liberty OTS
C.Breeze
C.Conquest
Serenade OTS TA (Nov '13)
C.Sunshine
Indy
Old January 24th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfleo
I just missed my boat today , Jan 24 on the Navigator of the Seas, no insurance nothing, nada, niente
I think your case is different, you DID know a week in advance that you were not going to make it on this cruise, according to this thread you started last week.

http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/vie...746&highlight=

Posted by gfleo
Cruise Maniac

I'm booked for the Jan 24-28 sailing on the Navigator OTS, but due to personal reasons I won't be able to make it. Since it's less than 7 days no name change is permitted and it's not possible to take another cruise at a later time.
Caribbean Princess Sept. 07
Carnival Destiny Sept 07
Norwegian Pearl Nov 07
Navigator of the Seas Jan 08
Carnival Liberty May 08
Eurodam Oct 08
Ruby Princess Nov 08
Independence of the Seas Nov 29 08
Carnival Splendor Jan 09
Celebrity Solstice Feb 09

Captain
Old January 24th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Admiral

I don't think the airline will do anything for you.. Neither will the cruise line. Thats what travel insurance is for. If you do miss your ship, then you can catch up at the next port. Its all on you though unless you do have trip insurance.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:39 PM
First Mate

I work for an airline and they will not do anything for you unless it is the airlines fault that you missed your cruise. While I cannot speak for every airline, ours recently had several pax that didn't get on their cruise out of Tampa due to mechanical issues with the aircraft and there was no other way to get them there until later in day after ship left. We got them to the next port of call and put them up in hotels until the ship arrived in port in Grand Caymen 2 days later.
RCCL Voyager 10/04
RCCL Enchantment 10/03
RCCL Adventure 2/03
Carnival Imagination 10/97
Old January 24th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

A question for you. Did you learned your lesson--buy travel insurance?

Airlines don't care--they'll be glad to sell you a new ticket
Cruise lines don't care--if you're getting there on your own, if you miss the SHIP you miss the SHIP!....

I'll gladly pay $150 or more for travel insurance becuase accidents and missed flights/ships happen.

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old January 25th, 2008, 12:36 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to cruisecouple

Travel insurance - never leave home without it and you do NOT have to get it through Carnival. All you have to do is search online. We used Access America. Someone would have to have you-know-what before I would cancel a cruise. As for flights, if it's winter and you're flying from a winter wonderland, I would give myself the benefit of two days to allow for delayed fllights and lost luggage. As a coworker of mine says (she's cruising the second week of February) - if there's even a hint of snow her and her husband will leave a couple of days earlier, forego their flights and drive from NJ to Miami - no way is she missing her cruise! I feel the same!!

If you had to change this trip because of a job commitment - learn by it and book yourself out that week NOW. If you had to change/cancel this trip because the boss couldn't be without you - that's one controlling boss and I'd find a new job - no one needs that kind of stress. If it's because it's someone's 11th hour so to speak, I could never forgive myself if I wasn't there. One thing my family knows is that the thing that makes me happiest right now is my traveling. My quote says it all.

fyi - you can get travel insurance through some companies up until practically departure time...

Old January 28th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have travel insurance so what will they do for me if I miss the boat and it is MY fault for doing so? I didnt realize they paid something to help me get back to the ship. Do they?

Danielle
Old January 28th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I know it will cost a heck of a lot more to catch up with a boat if you miss is than the insurance would cost. I always highly recommend getting the insurance.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 28th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Captain

I buy travel insurance, except once, that was the one time I really needed it, due to a death in the family two days from our sail date. Costs us almost $3000 to get home.

I am wondering though, if I had purchased the insurance on that cruise, wouldn't I still have had to pay my own fare home and then file a claim for reimbursement? Has anyone here had to use their travel insurance to catch up with the ship or fly home? If so, how soon do you get reimbursed for out of pocket expenses?

I know that I had to use the ship's infirmary on our last cruise. It was only $80 out of pocket, but to get my travel insurance to reimburse me, I first had to file on my major medical which I knew would not pay and then file with the Travel insurance. This was going to take months. I just dropped it because it was too much trouble for $80. Actually $80 was a very good price for everything they did for me on the ship due to a small medical emergency, which included an initial medical exam and follow up exam the next day, an IV, meds and a catheter. Try getting that much service in a local emergency room for $80.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old January 29th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Blue,
I had that happen to me when I was on a cruise. We had to leave the ship and fly home from San Juan, stay overnight in Miami until we could get the first flight out. It didn't take long to get our money back from the insurance, just keep all your records, even from when you booked the cruise, credit card statement from when you paid for it. There was a good deal of paperwork involved, but worth it at the end.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 29th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Captain

Thanks Donna. I felt like that was how the insurance policies worked. We were lucky enough to have sufficient funds to get us home, but I know that a lot of people go on these cruises with (and without) insurance and never consider that they may have to spend this kind of money for emergency travel and wait to be reimbursed. I think a lot of people assume that the insurance will just step in and pay their way home or to the next port.

Once when my nephew and his family were on a cruise, they ran up a large S&S bill and had to call home and ask his mom to put a cash deposit into his checking account to cover the bill.

I now make sure that I have ample cash moved from my savings to checking before we travel for emergencies, so I don't have to rely on credit cards. I let my bank and credit card companies know when we plan to travel outside the country as well.
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old January 29th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Admiral

cruisecouple,
We use Access America, too.

They have a "biz" plan that costs just a little more that provides coverage if you can't get away from work.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 11:39 AM
Familiar Face

We had to return home, on our third day on the Valor in 2006, due to passing of my mother in law. We had insurance. We flew home from St. Thomas, to Los Angeles, FIRST CLASS, because they were the only seats available at the time. The insurance company reimbursed us the FULL cost of the new airfare, 65% of our cruise (Cat 12), and all of our airfare for our original return flight (not refundable thru the airline). I will never travel without insurance again. The cost for the insurance: $200.00...What the insurance paid: priceless (about $6500). Lesson learned!
Old February 5th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscguy2
I work for an airline and they will not do anything for you unless it is the airlines fault that you missed your cruise. While I cannot speak for every airline, ours recently had several pax that didn't get on their cruise out of Tampa due to mechanical issues with the aircraft and there was no other way to get them there until later in day after ship left. We got them to the next port of call and put them up in hotels until the ship arrived in port in Grand Caymen 2 days later.
Dang! I am flying the wrong airlines! The same exact thing happened to us 1 year ago. No insurance and the airplane had a mechanical problem due to an employee error (running the gangway into the side of the aircraft in effect, grounding it). We actually wacthed our ship sail away. We got nothing, except rude employees telling us it was our fault for not getting the insurance. There were 6 of us that all had to pay our own way to Grand Cayman, and hotel for 2 nights while we waited for the ship to catch up, an extra $550 per person in expenses. Expensive Lesson learned: ALWAYS FLY THE DAY BEFORE OR BUY THE DANG INSURANCE!
Old February 12th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBlonde1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscguy2
Dang! I am flying the wrong airlines! The same exact thing happened to us 1 year ago. No insurance and the airplane had a mechanical problem due to an employee error (running the gangway into the side of the aircraft in effect, grounding it). We actually wacthed our ship sail away. We got nothing, except rude employees telling us it was our fault for not getting the insurance. There were 6 of us that all had to pay our own way to Grand Cayman, and hotel for 2 nights while we waited for the ship to catch up, an extra $550 per person in expenses. Expensive Lesson learned: ALWAYS FLY THE DAY BEFORE OR BUY THE DANG INSURANCE!
In my earlier post on this thread, I stated the importance of insurance and that we always buy it now. But I also agree that it is much better to arrive at the port of departure a day in advance. You have a day to relax, look around, get a good night's sleep, wait for any lost luggage to catch up and avoid missing the ship! We also added a day in Rome at the end of our Italy cruise last year to spend one more day and to avoid being rushed from ship to airport. My only regret on that one is that I didn't add 3 days to the end, like we did before sailing from Rome.
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old February 13th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Admiral

Two of our tablemates on the 02-02 Imagination cruise missed the ship because of a maintanance issue on an aircraft that grounded the plane.

The airline flew them to Grand Cayman (our first stop). The airline also paid for their hotel in Chicago...but not in Grand Cayman. I don't know why.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND