CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   cozumel - plastic okay? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/345594-cozumel-plastic-okay.html)

Michelle1959 January 27th, 2008 07:55 PM

cozumel - plastic okay?

I don't really want to carry any cash (other than for luggage porter/tips on the ship) - do the little souvenir shops in Cozumel take credit?

rjo January 27th, 2008 08:17 PM

Plasic is good almost every where. go to where the ferrys dock and then walk into the plaza area. Lots off shops, place to eat and drink and safe.
Also call your card company and let them know you will using the card here. I had mine stoped once, because I did not call and they thought it had been stolen.

Michelle1959 January 28th, 2008 07:54 PM

thanks, that's good to know.

and I already know to call my credit card companies, I did that when I went to the Bahamas last year. Smart move!

Luanne Russo January 28th, 2008 11:28 PM

Not Discovery card. We found very few places that would take it. Not sure why.

GaryI January 29th, 2008 12:22 PM

We just used our Visa in Cozumel last week at the port shops, and at Carlos & Charlies. No problem at all.
Gary

mteague January 29th, 2008 01:26 PM

DD had her purse cash credit cards drivers license and SS card stolen at the peir in Cozumel.....be cautious and only bring ashore what you need. Melody

Michelle1959 January 30th, 2008 10:29 PM

thanks, for the warning, I will have my over-the-shoulder very thin flat tiny leather shoulderbag on me at all times and carry very few valuables. I will also have my money belt tucked inside my shorts

gbb0131 January 31st, 2008 11:02 AM

The only thing that you need to watch for is if you make large purchases. The exchange rate can vary from when you purchase something till it posts on your account. My mom bought a loose Tanzanite and when it posted to her card it was about $100 more than she bought it for.

Kuki January 31st, 2008 11:28 AM

There's one other pitfall to using credit cards in foreign ports, other than in ATMs., and that's the scam of running a duplicate of your credit card, and using it fraudelently for other purchases.

I do use my card in certain circumstance, but only when I can watch the card being run.

Personally, I'd carry a bit of cash in small bills.

Michelle1959 January 31st, 2008 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuki
There's one other pitfall to using credit cards in foreign ports, other than in ATMs., and that's the scam of running a duplicate of your credit card, and using it fraudelently for other purchases.

I do use my card in certain circumstance, but only when I can watch the card being run.

Personally, I'd carry a bit of cash in small bills.

Thanks Kuki, I hadn't thought about that; I also like to watch my card being scanned. I don't plan to really buy much, just some cheap souvenirs, so perhaps I'll bring along a few ten's for that.