CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Fun Ship Formal (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/345693-fun-ship-formal.html)

ScurvyDog January 29th, 2008 02:15 PM

Fun Ship Formal

Just off the Carnival Holiday yesterday. I basically have a live and let live attitude about what other people wear but due to the latest heated “Jeans in the Dining Room� thread I decided to see for myself what people were wearing on this trip. On formal night for the most part all of the ladies were dressed very nicely. There were a couple of left over prom dresses and several people still trying to master the art of walking in heels but for the most part all the ladies looked very nice.
As for the guys a few were dressed in the traditional formal wear of tux, dark suit, or Military Dress Uniform. There was another group of distinguished looking gentlemen in what is best described as “Country Club Casual�. I even saw several guys in dress jeans with a crisp button up shirt and they looked fine to me. Did not see any of the jeans with holes in the knees or hammer loop on the side or baseball caps. What was a surprise to me was a huge group of guys were dressed in for lack of a better word “Fun Ship Formal�. Fun Ship Formal seems to be wear anything you want and as long as you put a tie on it you are formal. Jacket is optional. Does not have to match, be ironed, or fashionable. Tennis shoes (some clean and some dirty) were a big hit on Formal Night. Even saw one guy wearing Crocks with his Fun Ship Formal outfit. The guy in front of me had on Dockers and a blue blazer that looked like he had been sleeping in them for three days. Another had a bright green sport jacket (possibly left over from winning the Masters) and sandals. Trousers of various odd lengths and white sox were occasionally noted.
What I learned from this exercise is to make sure my wife either packs my clothes or checks what I have selected so I will not be classified as “Fun Ship Formal�.

Shirley Jones January 29th, 2008 02:42 PM

LOL ScurvyDog made me laugh Now I will be bug eyed :shock: checking it out on my cruise :!: Did you laugh to yourself :?:

dina January 29th, 2008 02:45 PM

LOL Now thats funny.. On one of my cruises for formal night I saw two guys dressed in top hat and tails... One was satin pink and the other one was satin yellow..... They had the matching canes as well.. Definitely formal.... HAHAHA

GaryI January 29th, 2008 03:09 PM

ScurvyDog;
You nailed it exactly. We just got off of the Ecstasy and I too payed attention. "Funship Formal" is the perfect way to describe it. Formal night was not bad, but obviously some have a differnt opinion of what "resort Casual" actually is. Saw many Ball caps, and jeans with holes on non formal nights. Did not bother me at all. I had my suit and tie on and felt just fine. To each his own,
Gary

powerserge February 4th, 2008 03:07 PM

Formal Dinner wear

Just off the Carnival Paradise on Friday 2/1. I packed several outfits for "Formal Night" as I was unsure of Carnival's dress code. One thing I noticed is that Carnival had a very relaxed attitude as to what it considers "Formal Dress' and "Country Club Casual". On Formal night I wore dark brown cords with a white dress shirt and a brown micro-fiber Alfani dinner jacket with my trusty boots. The maître d and dining room crew never even looked at what anyone was wearing. I saw a teenager in shorts, t-shirt and red baseball cap eating two tables down on formal night and no one seemed to have a problem.

The other “Country Club Casual� nights, people were dressed in shorts, t-shirts, sweats etc and no complaints from any dining staff etc. I didn't notice anyone turned away.....So I guess that for this cruise an "everything goes" attitude was the norm of the day.

Kuki February 4th, 2008 03:22 PM

There's meetings occuring all this week on the Carnival Victory, with the President of Carnival, all kinds of other execs, as well as all the Cruise Directors.

Understand from John Heald that "dress codes" will be one of the areas likely to be addressed.

Johnathan February 4th, 2008 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuki
There's meetings occuring all this week on the Carnival Victory, with the President of Carnival, all kinds of other execs, as well as all the Cruise Directors.

So who's directing on the other 22 Fun Ships? LOL