Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 4th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
and can only get your signature on a promissory note to cover it. If your signature is no good ... you are simply unable to raise the money ... the cruise line loses. It's as simple as that.
I'm actually not so certain a company like Carnival would so easily forget a debt. They've go plenty of in house council to keep occupied

I do agree these situations are likely very rare. I was witness to someone being PAGED mid cruise because their credit card denied a further hold. It turned out to be a mix up, but it took a ship to shore phone call with the cc company to correct their error.
Old February 4th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
Quote:
and can only get your signature on a promissory note to cover it. If your signature is no good ... you are simply unable to raise the money ... the cruise line loses. It's as simple as that.
I'm actually not so certain a company like Carnival would so easily forget a debt. They've go plenty of in house council to keep occupied

I do agree these situations are likely very rare. I was witness to someone being PAGED mid cruise because their credit card denied a further hold. It turned out to be a mix up, but it took a ship to shore phone call with the cc company to correct their error.
I agree with you Kuki. I am sure they have a pretty aggressive "collections" department for just these type of scenarios. Also, not being a bank and not being an American company and the debt being run up outside of America, I wonder what is the deciding factor on how much interest, penalties, collection fees they charge. Is sky the limit?

In this day and age, a good skip tracer could track down any assets a person has. Imagine having a lien put on your house for unpaid sail and sign charges, along with astronomical attorney, collection, interest and penalty fees and charges.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old February 6th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Admiral

Default I think I found the answer

In the contract printed with your cruise documents, there is a paragraph "9(b)". It states:

c) Carnival and the Vessel shall have a lien upon all baggage, money and other property whatsoever accompanying the Guest and the right to sell the same by public auction or otherwise for all sums whatsoever due from the Guest under this Contract and for the costs and expenses of enforcing such lien and such sale.

So there you have it folks. The reason why people get so worked up if they can't pay is because the cruiseline is threatening to keep their luggage and personal effects and sell these items at auction.

No one wants to lose all of their clothes, pictures, survenirs, jewelry, etc.

I wonder how often they actually end up just keepihng the luggage and stuff?

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old February 6th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Familiar Face

You get a A + for doing your homework! Thanks for the info!

Voyager of the Seas
Old February 6th, 2008, 06:52 PM
First Mate

Yes, I agree or "2nd that motion", you did a GREAT job on checking into this matter.

I "wonder" how many people actually READ the fine print, in their papers for cruising? Sometimes, I think a person needs to be a lawyer, just to make sure you "understand" everything.

brneyes