Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 4th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Beginner

Default Dress code on cruise.

I'm going on the Inspiration on April 3rd.

I cruised two years ago on Royal Carribean, Sovereign of the Seas, and I notcied a lot of men were very casual at the dinners. I saw mostly jeans and even some guys in cargo shorts. I was under the impression that dress pants and a dress shirt was the norm.

I hate dressing up, if I would have known I could have gone more casual, I would have.

Is Carnival pretty strict about what to wear to dinner?
Sponsored Links
Old February 4th, 2008, 05:48 PM
First Mate

Carnival isn't as strict as some lines, but shorts are not allowed in the dining room for evening meals.

Jeans are allowed, some people don't think they should be, but they are. Most men wear slacks and polo shirts on the nights that aren't formal. On formal nights, men usually wear suits.

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09
Oasis of the Seas 10/16/10
Old February 4th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Beginner

Thanks, Irish lass. I guess I can suck it up and wear slacks.
Old February 4th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Admiral

I have worn shorts before and did so this last cruise on the Conquest. Now, I did see jeans on formal night and even a... <gasp!> sweatsuit!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I have to admit it... call me an old codger (is that a word?)... I hate going to a dining room where the staff are better dressed than the passengers.

Wonder how the passengers would react if the dining room staff came to their tables in shorts, t-shirts and ball caps?

I don't expect everyone to be in tuxedos and gowns, but I don't want to have the atmosphere of eating at Applebees every night either.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Passenger

Location: The same as you: at my computer, planning the next cruise!
Send a message via Yahoo to shipsNdips
Default Re: Dress code on cruise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Blonde
I'm going on the Inspiration on April 3rd.

I hate dressing up, if I would have known I could have gone more casual, I would have.

Is Carnival pretty strict about what to wear to dinner?
A time of your life.

Men - GQ` yourself and look at how darn good looking you are and exit your cabin for a night to remember. You handsome devil!

Ladies - Take your sexiest and most beautiful dresses!! Dress up, Dress up, smile.......and woo hoo you are in for a good time! Don't forget your fantastic Wal-Mart bling bling and the great pair of heels that you have shoved to the back of your closet for occassions such as this..... remember - you can kick them off during the fabulous evening shows or later at night for some great dancing. (unless the ship rocks some drunk-one onto your toes - ouch. Yep, he will blame it on the ship) heh.
Do NOT forget those lovely thongs (you know the plastic ones from Target (my choice) that you can slip on that wedge between your TOES...also available in many colors) You can wear them with cute shorts, capris, and even skirts for a more casual look. Mix-it with a fun top...there you have it for your day attire. Unless you prefer to be semi-naked during the days lounging around seaside. Anyway... day or night throw it all on and have a great time and you can do this all for only a dime. One can be elegant and practical, really!

Okay enuff said about all of that cruise excitement above. On a simpler note, you can really dress however you feel comfortable......just try to at least adhere to their clothing requests for dinner and don't consume yourself too much over the little rants and frustrations regarding what clothes to pack/not pack. Don't sweat it, but if it were ME.....I love to dress up and and especially watch all those other wonderful and charming cruisers looking so darn good on formal nights and having a blast.

Free Cruise Clocks

When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money. ~Susan Heller

And that's the wonderful thing about family travel: it provides you with experiences that will remain locked forever in the scar tissue of your mind. ~Dave Barry
Old February 5th, 2008, 04:19 PM
First Mate

There are only rules for the people that wish to follow them. Just got off the Freedom and Miracle, shorts and jeans were seen on both ships several evenings in the dineing room. Every year there are less and less people following the rules for anything. CCL will not tell anyone not to come in the dineing room and saving seats for the shows or say rows of seats for the shows has got bigger then ever. It seems all the lines are slowly getting away from dress up. Ahhh the life of a cruiser. Things will always keep changing good or bad.
Old February 5th, 2008, 11:20 PM
First Mate

I'm one who may come to dinner in shorts. I will do that because I feel that dinner is not a special occasion. On Formal night I will wear slack, shirt, and tie.

My opinion is that cruising is vacation, I'm there to have fun. I think the older generation thinks a little differently than the younger generation and that's okay because it will not ruin your dinner if someone comes into the dining room in shorts and sneakers.

Ah... here's the thing, it's usually colder in the dining rooms and show rooms than other parts of the ship so you might want to wear pants.

I may be a trouble maker because you can reserve a couple of seats but if you choose to try and reserve a whole row and there's nowhere else to sit, I'm going to sit down.
RCCL Freedom : April 2012
CCL Destiny : April 2011
CCL Valor : September 2010
CCL Victory : March 2010
RCCL Adventure : September 2009
RCCL Monarch : March 2009
RCCL Mariner : September 2008
CCL Liberty : March 2008
CCL Valor : July 2007
CCL Celebration : March 2007
CCL Elation : March 2006
CCL Fantasy : October 2005
Old February 5th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Passenger

Location: The same as you: at my computer, planning the next cruise!
Send a message via Yahoo to shipsNdips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
I have to admit it... call me an old codger (is that a word?)... I hate going to a dining room where the staff are better dressed than the passengers.

Wonder how the passengers would react if the dining room staff came to their tables in shorts, t-shirts and ball caps?

I don't expect everyone to be in tuxedos and gowns, but I don't want to have the atmosphere of eating at Applebees every night either.
Kuki, once again....... well said! I completely agree.

Free Cruise Clocks

When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money. ~Susan Heller

And that's the wonderful thing about family travel: it provides you with experiences that will remain locked forever in the scar tissue of your mind. ~Dave Barry