Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 5th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default favorite costa rica and panama excursion

What's your favorite costa rica and panama excursion? What have you been on - what is not worth going on - any tips at all?
Old February 6th, 2008, 01:35 AM
First Mate

Hi Cherylroy,

I haven't been to Costa Rica or Panama Canal yet, but we will be leaving from Port Everglades on the Miracle on March 30. We are doing a B2B that does the Southern Caribbean one week and the Panama Canal the second week. I think we have decided for sure to do the Caribbean Train, Boat, and Bus tour in Puerto Limon, Costa Rica. It looks like it covers the country side, jungle, canals, banana plantation, etc. Supposedly, we can see monkeys, sloths, crocs, birds, and other wildlife on that tour. It is a Carnival Shore Excursion. They have several excursions listed that sound interesting. I am hoping someone answers your question, because I am also interested in what they liked or didn't like. My brother is flying in to Costa Rica this month for a vacation, and he is going to also get back with me. He wasn't sure when I last spoke with him what area his wife had booked for them. If they are near Puerto Limon and something sounds good, I'll report back to you. For sure, since I will get back before you leave, I can let you know what we and others did. We are still trying to decide what to do in Panama. There are some interesting videos on YouTube on the Panama Canal. I haven't had a chance to make it through all of them, so we are still trying to decide what we are going to do there. It is something watching the cruise ships sail through the locks.

Happy Cruising,

Sherrie
Ecstasy 12/12/09,Conquest 4/12/09, Conquest 4/19/09,Conquest 2/09, Pride 10/08, Ecstasy 1/08, Miracle 3/08, Miracle 4/08, Miracle 5/06, Conquest 12/08, Conquest 9/07, Conquest 4/07, Conquest 8/03, Destiny 5/05, Adv of Seas 5/05, Elation 12/04, Jubilee 4/03, Sensation 6/00, Celebration 5/93, Celebration 6/92,Holiday 5/92, Tropical 3/90, NCL--Windward, Skyward, Sunward
Old February 6th, 2008, 03:36 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

While in Limon Costa Rica I did the White Water Rafting tour. We had a wonderful time. well worth the price.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old February 6th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Passenger

Send a message via ICQ to gbb0131 Send a message via AIM to gbb0131 Send a message via Yahoo to gbb0131

In Panama I did the 2 oceans by railroad or something like that. You take the train from Colon to Panama City and then board a bus for a tour of the locks. It was really nice and the countryside was beautiful.

In Costa Rica we did the Golden Bean Coffee Plantation. It was really fun, but if you don't like coffee I guess it wouldn't be interesting.

Greg

Old February 6th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Admiral

We did do the whole panama canal grand tour. Once was enough - so are at limbo about what to do this time. That other excursion in costa rica sounds good. I was also thinking of the rafting - or horsebackriding. Gong to Cozumel too on the same trip - hoping to hit xcaret with that one. Keep me informed all of you on what you have done - don't want to do. Thanks!
Old March 20th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Captain

Cheryl, Hi!! Since you have done the Grand Canal Tour what was good and bad about it? We are trying to decide which tour to do there as well. 8 hours seems like a long time. I want to see the workings of the locks but not sure I want to board a ferry and go through them. There is a train tour offered that is 6 hours. Have you heard anything about that one?

Thanks,

AKcruiser
Old March 20th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ainsley

In Panama we paid a taxi driver to take us on a tour of Panama. We went to the locks and then went to this little zoo type thing it was alot of fun. In Costa Rica we went white water rafting. I think that excursion is the best one I have ever went on. Just make sure if you ever take that excursion to take water shoes. and dont wear crocs. haha both of my parents lost theirs haha they floated down stream faster than we were moving. If you go to costa rica take that excursion its soooo worth it!!!!
Carnival Conquest-02.22.04
Carnival Conquest-02.06.05
Carnival Legend-3.25.06
Royal Caribbean Sovereign OTS-4.16.07
Carnival Fantasy 4.28.08
Carnival Fantasy 10.27.08
Norwegian Pearl 3.13.11
Carnival Elation 11.14.11

Future Cruises
Carnival Ecstasy 5.21.12
Old March 20th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

From Colon, Panama we took the bus trip to the Pacific Ocean side then the ferry through the locks and loved it. There were drinks and a box lunch on the ferry. The area around the canal was very clean but on most of the roads otherwise it was awfully dirty unless we were just on the diry roads. I also thought the city was dreadfully grimy looking.
Costa Rica on the other hand was clean and cheerful. We did a tour that involved riding through the treetops at a park and a boat ride where we saw sloths and howler monkeys hanging in the trees wild. It was a fairly sedate trip. There are other tours I'd like to go on in Costa Rica when we get there again on another cruise.
Carnival Dream-Oct 2010-Eastern Caribbean
RCL Oasis-May 2010-Western Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy-April 2010-Mexico
HAL Ryndam-Sept 2009-Alaska
Carnival Holiday-May 2009-Cozumel
Carnival Celebration-April 2008-Key West, Nassau
Carnival Liberty-May 2007-Panama Canal
Carnival Miracle-Apr 2006 (1st for DH)- Mexico, Belize
Carnival Holiday-Feb 2005-Mexico
Carnival Fascination-Dec 2000-Nassau
Old March 20th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Familiar Face

here is another vote for the white water rafting it was the best. we did the train ride in panama which inclided a visit to the canel.
Old March 20th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Admiral

Well...it looks like we might have to do the white water rafting since that seems to be the popular one. I really wanted to get someone who went on the horsebackriding excursion to give me their opinin. See..this is the cruise that I'm taking my daughter on for her support for my surgery. I couldn't ride before because I was to 'fat' and now that I have lost the weight - wanted to do something with her that I couldnt do before (horsebackride). Oh well....from what you are telling me, we won't be disappointed (we have been white water rafting 3 other times and did like it).
AK cruiser - as far as the Grand Tour goes - It was a LOT of money and yes we did enjoy it while going through the locks however, they cattled us on the ferry - it was hot and gave us drinks (cola, water) that were not even put in a cooler until we boarded the ferry. We spent hours wading around the water waiting for our turn to go through the locks. Going through thelocks was totally awesome - it was just the excursion was so long. I don't want to do it again -- once was enough.
Old March 21st, 2008, 12:18 AM
Captain

Thanks Cheryl, I read the description of the tour and thought it would be nice to actually go throught the loclks, but 8 hours is a LONG time to be in the heat!

We've never been white water rafting...anyone who has been know if you need to be experienced to do it? I'd hate to let everyone down on the raft if I didn't paddle right!!!

Cheryl, you have planned for so long to do the horseback riding. Do you think you'll be disappointed if you don't do it??? I guess if you do, you'll just have to rebook it and go again!

AKcruiser
Old March 21st, 2008, 06:47 AM
Admiral

I know - thats why I'm debating so much. Plan again --- sure....but not with daughter. She is 19 now and almost 'on her own'. This will probably be the last cruise I pay for her. Not sure if that is good or bad..

As far as rafting - nope - no experience needed! They teach you everything you need to know.

And as far as the locks ----- they do have some cover - but it is crowded and hot and expensive. Guess we have bragging rights - thats about it.
Old March 21st, 2008, 07:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

AKCruiser, You do not need to be experienced to do the white water rafting. the guide will tell you when to paddle and when not to. None of us were experienced and we had a wonderful time.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old March 21st, 2008, 11:35 PM
Captain

Thanks so much.....now to convince hubby!!

AKcruiser
Old March 31st, 2008, 01:27 PM
Familiar Face

Hello, We just got off the liberty and stopped in costa rica and panama. In costa rica we did the white water rafting. The bus ride was about an hour and the guide was very informative and the bus driver drove like a madman passing everyone on a 2 laned road. The white water rafting was great and the scenery was beautiful our only complaint was you only do a 7mile section and just is over to fast. It just left us wanting more. After the rafting they take you back to a building with a giftshop for lunch. To our surprise the lunch was really really good. They had a guy who takes many pictures of you while you raft and sells a cd at the end with the pictures for $30 which bought and was happy about.
For Panama the ship actually talked us out of doing the ships trips, So we hired a taxi for $40 each and got a great tour. Our taxi driver pulled up to a house at one point and we got a drop scarred but turned out to be a mini zoo. Was very cool saw many animals all though all were in small cages which was sad but got to get very close to them. Most of the islands stores were closed for easter so we didn't shop at all.
For costa rica I would suggest the white water rafting.
Old March 31st, 2008, 06:51 PM
First Mate

Akcruiser we did the ferry excursion in Panama just a week ago. I was dreading the long bus ride but it was actually only 70 mins. On board the ferry we got a nice buffet lunch instead of the box lunch with plenty of pop and water and 2.00 for a beer. We did not have to wait long to go through the canal. Plenty of shade on the ferry. It was holy week so they said there was not much boat traffic. We were so glad we did it. We were not exhausted like I thought we would be. We were back in plenty of time to even do shopping if you wanted.
In Costa Rica we did the A-1 tour with Charlie Soto. Rae was our guide and this was the best tour we have ever been on. Wow, he was a great guide. Good Luck and have a great cruise!!!!!!!!!
RC Grandeur of the Seas Oct. 2009
Carnival Liberty March 2008
RC Adventures of the Sea Feb. 2007
Carnival Liberty March 2006
Enchantment of the Seas June 2004
Monarch of the Seas March 2003
The Big Red Boat March 1997
Old April 4th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Captain

Thanks so much for the great info!!

AKcruiser
Old April 17th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Passenger

Has anyone done the railroad and old canal zone tour? I am really trying to find out how much of the old canal zone they visit? Thanks
Old April 17th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

My nephew said the ziplining in Costa Rica was FANTASTIC! I dunno if it's offered, but it's a once in a lifetime thing!

Melody
Old April 18th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Admiral

Melody - thats what I heard. Can't find out how many times you 'zip' however. And...its a 2 hour ride there and 2 hour ride back.