CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Question about bringing back items.. (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/346164-question-about-bringing-back-items.html)

Andrea007 February 6th, 2008 01:10 PM

Question about bringing back items..

Assuming I have enough space to take everything I want home, is there a limit on how much stuff I can bring back from my cruise? I saw somewhere that the first 800 dollars is tax free and the next one thousand dollars is 4%, and someone mentioned that I am only allowed to bring back one bottle of alcohol tax free and the rest will be taxed, but is there a limit otherwise? If I wanted to, could I bring back 100 bottles of alcohol, and a million dollars in merchandise as longs as I paid the taxes on them? I know Im asking about extremes, but we'd like to get several bottles of alcohol from each place we visit that are local to that area. And I saw the rum cakes at the tortuga factory and I'd love to get several of those. I just don't want to have 10 bottles of alcohol and have customs tell me that I can't bring it back home. Besides fruit and flowers, is there anything else that I can't bring back?

jetskier February 6th, 2008 01:27 PM

Re: Question about bringing back items..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea007
Assuming I have enough space to take everything I want home, is there a limit on how much stuff I can bring back from my cruise? I saw somewhere that the first 800 dollars is tax free and the next one thousand dollars is 4%, and someone mentioned that I am only allowed to bring back one bottle of alcohol tax free and the rest will be taxed, but is there a limit otherwise? If I wanted to, could I bring back 100 bottles of alcohol, and a million dollars in merchandise as longs as I paid the taxes on them? I know Im asking about extremes, but we'd like to get several bottles of alcohol from each place we visit that are local to that area. And I saw the rum cakes at the tortuga factory and I'd love to get several of those. I just don't want to have 10 bottles of alcohol and have customs tell me that I can't bring it back home. Besides fruit and flowers, is there anything else that I can't bring back?

Cuban cigars are a big no no as well as more than one carton of cigerettes. You can bring back as much alcohol as you want. Duty is normally around $2.77 a bottle (NOLA, Mobile, Galveston) The only exception is Texas where they limit non-Texans to 1 gallon of distilled spirits or wine (or any combination of the two). (Texas law).

If you happen to go to St. Thomas or any other US territory, then your limits go up. They will go over of this at the dis-embark talk on the last seaday.

Dave

Joe323 February 6th, 2008 01:31 PM

Re: Question about bringing back items..

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetskier
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea007

Cuban cigars are a big no no as well as more than one carton of cigerettes. You can bring back as much alcohol as you want. Duty is normally around $2.77 a bottle (NOLA, Mobile, Galveston) The only exception is Texas where they limit non-Texans to 1 gallon of distilled spirits or wine (or any combination of the two). (Texas law).

If you happen to go to St. Thomas or any other US territory, then your limits go up. They will go over of this at the dis-embark talk on the last seaday.

Dave

Actually they will go over it before then in the shopping talk for each port. After what could what good would it do if they wating to the end.

rinker250 February 6th, 2008 02:07 PM

I don't know how many bottles are too many to bring back, but I can tell you this:

I mistakenly thought we could bring back two bottles each so we bought 4.
When I filled out the customs card I saw that it was really 1 bottle each for a total of tw0.
I filled it out honestly (claiming four) and figured I'd either have to toss two away or pay a tax.
When we got to the agent he just added the card to a pile and said "Happy New Year".
Not saying that will happen to others but it happened to us.

ready2gonow February 6th, 2008 02:11 PM

Dan, I have heard of that happening, also.

mteague February 6th, 2008 02:24 PM

Quote:

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:10 pm Post subject: Question about bringing back items..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When we sailed on the Conquest in May....only the Texans were limited to one bottle (I don't think it was a gallon, but it could have been) of alcohol. I know this to be true because some Texans became great friends with those of us from Louisiana and we claimed the rest of their alcohol and gave it to them when we were through customs. :wink: Rum cakes don't count as alcohol. :idea: So, find a friend or two and get them to bring your other bottles of alcohol through customs! As far as the other stuff....do they ever really check it???? Each time I go through customs, they ask the questions, I answer and we go on. Plus, I've had merchants offer me receipts at lower costs. I didn't need it, but if they offer it to me, surely they offer it to others. AND I think the dollar limit applies to each person, although I think you have to be of legal drinking age to claim alcohol (and that's 21 in the US). Besides, who knows when I bought my tanzanite ring....this cruise or last cruise? Spread out your purchases among your traveling party and pay taxes on the overage. I don't think you will have a problem as long as you aren't bringing a cargo load back!

AND.....I know that cubans are brought back into the US. :shock: I know it's illegal, but I know it has been done. I don't recommend it, because they will seize the cigars and you are out the money you paid for them. The story I heard was.....the dogs sniff the luggage you put out your door the night before debarkation. I've been told you should remove the labels and put them in your carry on bag, preferably in a box of tampons. :shock: :shock:

Melody

jetskier February 6th, 2008 03:31 PM

In Mobile I have come through with 19 bottles and not been charged and other times with 6 and got charged. It is really up to the CBP officer if he wants to be bothered with it.
Dave

CaptainEdwardJohnSmith February 6th, 2008 03:34 PM

Quote:

In Mobile I have come through with 19 bottles and not been charged and other times with 6 and got charged. It is really up to the CBP officer if he wants to be bothered with it.
Dave

Hey Dave, you are even worse than yours truly! LOL
19 freaking bottles? LOL Daughter getting married? LOL

Nice to see you post here, buddy. Thanks.

Captain :)

rinker250 February 6th, 2008 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainEdwardJohnSmith
Quote:

Dave

If I could get away with it, I would too!

When I go to California I always bring back a couple cases of the 1.75 ltr (1/2 gallon) bottles. Save at least 50% over the Tax and Take states of OR and WA.

CaptainEdwardJohnSmith February 6th, 2008 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rinker250
Quote:

Quote:

Dave

When I go to California I always bring back a couple cases of the 1.75 ltr (1/2 gallon) bottles. Save at least 50% over the Tax and Take states of OR and WA.

BOOTLEGGER! LOL

hey Dan, how are ya, buddy?

rinker250 February 6th, 2008 04:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rinker250
Quote:

Quote:

Dave

BOOTLEGGER! LOL

hey Dan, how are ya, buddy?

I'm great, Captain!!
Isn't a bootlegger someone who resales?
My booze is for personal consumption....I can make a case last more than a week!

I suppose I'm bending some kind of law to avoid the excessive tax.

tjwalkingon February 6th, 2008 07:07 PM

In Jan. at Mobile dock, I got stopped by customs because we had gone horsebackriding. So they pulled us behind the partition and started asking questions. I had 18 bottles of booze. When he asked if I had any I nodded yes, he asked how many I said 15. He thought about it and then let me go. I've heard they don't like to do the paper work so they let you on thru. Thank goodness!!
When I fill out my customs card I just put that amount under souvenirs and don't list it as alcohol.
Also if your going to stock up on alcohol from the ship, get it the first day when a lot of it is on pre-sale. Saves money!

jetskier February 6th, 2008 07:21 PM

You are very lucky. Falsely stating amounts on the form usually causes them to get very mad at you and could have led to them confiscating all of the booze you had.

Capt,
I had a bunch of my jetski customers wanting booze.

Dave

rinker250 February 6th, 2008 07:35 PM

tjwalkingon
I'm confused, you say that you got stopped because you went horse back riding. Why is that a reason to be stopped and how did they know?

rinker250 February 6th, 2008 07:36 PM

Quote:

You are very lucky. Falsely stating amounts on the form usually causes them to get very mad at you and could have led to them confiscating all of the booze you had.

Capt,
I had a bunch of my jetski customers wanting booze.

Dave

jetskier,
I agree. It's a lot easier to explain a mistake than a lie.

ladyvet February 6th, 2008 08:53 PM

I'm curious about the horseback riding too. We are riding TWICE on our cruise. Is it because you've come in contact with a farm animal??

Beth

CaptainEdwardJohnSmith February 6th, 2008 09:11 PM

Here's the deal on the livestock/animals question:

On the Customs Declaration Form 6059B, question 12 asks:

I have (We have) been in close proximity of (such as touching or handling) livestock....................................YES NO

Naturally, if you have gone horse-riding or done any other similar activities you should answer YES and that is what would prompt a Customs and Border Protection agent to question/interrogate :wink: :wink: you.
Fear not though! LMAO rofl rofl

Captain

Inis46 February 7th, 2008 01:58 AM

When on the Legend last summer, they had a last day on the ship "special" on Cruzan Rum, if you bought 4 bottles.....so I did. So here I am going thru Customs with the nicely packaged, obviously booze, cardboard carrying case and the agent loudly asked, "Now just how many bottles are in there?" I reply, "Four". He says, "ALL for you?" I reply, "Yes, sir"(oops). He takes me by the arm and leads me a couple of feet out of the line. I am now sweating bullets and wondering what kind of trouble am I in now...lol. He says, in a low voice, "You MEANT to say that, ONE bottle is for you, and ONE is for her (pointing to my daughter), ONE is for him (pointing to my son-in-law) and ONE is for him (pointing to his co-worker....LOL). R-i-i-i-g-g-h-h-t-t-t.....???". I laughed and followed his lead by declaring, word for word, who the booze was supposedly for. He then winked and wished me a good day. The little sweetie....

tjwalkingon February 7th, 2008 09:26 AM

Yes, I got pulled in because I came in contact with farm animals. They sprayed our shoes with lysol. This is good because I wouldn't want to bring something back home to my horses. One of the guys said "it's probably already worn off, but spray them anyway"
I didn't really falsely state it on the form, they are souvenirs for me and friends, takes me back to the islands everytime I have a jello-shooter!LOL

rinker250 February 7th, 2008 11:41 AM

I guess since I have never answered yes to the livestock question it didn't come to mind.

smlaker February 7th, 2008 11:47 AM

please read up on what you can and cannot bring in. Visit the cbp.gov webpage - know before you go. Do not depend on the advice you are getting here as I know, b/c I work for CBP, that you can actually bring back more liquor as an exemption from the carribean - but you need to go check the specifics. Bottom line is you can bring back what you want, but once you go over a certainn amount you will have to pay duty. this is all spelled out on their site.

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/...eforeyougo.pdf

the link above is for us residents. there are also links on their web page for non residents.

Also know that if you do lie regarding undeclared merchandise or anything and you get caught, you can be subject to a penalty of up to six times the duty you would have paid had you declared it up front.

I can't imagine the carribean having anything to buy that I can't get online a lot cheaper that would put me over my exemption. I pass on the booze because I always have to fly to the port of embarkation and wouldn't risk it breaking on the flight home.

Andrea007 February 7th, 2008 12:01 PM

I did some research at work yesterday and here is what I found verbatim from the US customs website

"While Federal regulations do not specify a limit on the amount of alcohol you may bring back for personal use, unusual quantities are liable to raise suspicions that you are importing the alcohol for other purposes such as for resale. CPB officers are authorized to make on the spot determinations that an importation is for commercial purposes and may require you to obtain a permit to import the alcohol berfore releasing it to you...... Also, you should be aware that state laws might limit the amount of alcohol you can bring in without a license...That state law will be enforced by CBP...We reccomend that you check with the state government about their limitations on quantities allowed for personal importation and additional state taxes that might apply"

So I guess now I have to see if Texas has any limitations. I wouldn't worry about it so much, except there really isn't anyone to divvy up the alcohol with- Everyone that's going with me is an alcoholic senior in college just like me! LOL!

Andrea007 February 7th, 2008 12:14 PM

Thanks LInda!

CaptainEdwardJohnSmith February 7th, 2008 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inis46
When on the Legend last summer, they had a last day on the ship "special" on Cruzan Rum, if you bought 4 bottles.....so I did. So here I am going thru Customs with the nicely packaged, obviously booze, cardboard carrying case and the agent loudly asked, "Now just how many bottles are in there?" I reply, "Four". He says, "ALL for you?" I reply, "Yes, sir"(oops). He takes me by the arm and leads me a couple of feet out of the line. I am now sweating bullets and wondering what kind of trouble am I in now...lol. He says, in a low voice, "You MEANT to say that, ONE bottle is for you, and ONE is for her (pointing to my daughter), ONE is for him (pointing to my son-in-law) and ONE is for him (pointing to his co-worker....LOL). R-i-i-i-g-g-h-h-t-t-t.....???". I laughed and followed his lead by declaring, word for word, who the booze was supposedly for. He then winked and wished me a good day. The little sweetie....

Phewwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!! I sure am glad you did not try to reach for the agent's .380 pistol :wink: :wink: ...........that would have not been such a "bright idea" :wink: :wink: rofl rofl
You'd be a hoot to cruise with, sweetheart! LOL LOL

Captain

Inis46 February 7th, 2008 02:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Phewwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!! I sure am glad you did not try to reach for the agent's .380 pistol :wink: :wink: ...........that would have not been such a "bright idea" :wink: :wink: rofl rofl

Captain

LOL LOL He was kinda cute.....I'd like to see his .380 on my bedside :shock: :roll:

CaptainEdwardJohnSmith February 7th, 2008 03:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Captain

LOL LOL He was kinda cute.....I'd like to see his .380 on my bedside :shock: :roll:

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl
you ARE a naughty girl
rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

mehawk February 7th, 2008 09:41 PM

Re: Here's the deal on the livestock/animals question:

Quote:

I have (We have) been in close proximity of (such as touching or handling) livestock....................................YES NO

Naturally, if you have gone horse-riding or done any other similar activities you should answer YES and that is what would prompt a Customs and Border Protection agent to question/interrogate :wink: :wink: you.

Captain

Captain, now you are going to get me going...

I find that when I am on the ship or on excursions, I am in the constant vicinity of Cows, Hippos, Horses, Jackasses, Whales... What? Oh, wrong animals. :oops: :wink: LOL

ready2gonow February 7th, 2008 09:45 PM

Re: Here's the deal on the livestock/animals question:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mehawk
Quote:

Captain

Captain, now you are going to get me going...

I find that when I am on the ship or on excursions, I am in the constant vicinity of Cows, Hippos, Horses, Jackasses, Whales... What? Oh, wrong animals. :oops: :wink: LOL

Michael! Behave! rofl rofl

rinker250 February 7th, 2008 10:07 PM

We sat at their table!!!!

CaptainEdwardJohnSmith February 7th, 2008 10:25 PM

you're on the verge of creating a ruckus here, Mike!

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl