Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 7th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Passenger

Default Age Restrictions

Does anyone know how much they really enforce this? Me and some friends were looking to book a cruise and saw that if you are under 21 you have to have someone in your cabin be 25 or older. One of my friends that is going is only 20 (she will be turning 21 a month after the cruse we're looking at). Her b/f that would be sharing a cabin with her is 22. I looked and all the other cruiselines only require that someone else in the cabin to be 21 if the other person is not 21 yet.

This is the only time she can go b/c of work and school and we really don't want to go on another cruiseline. Anybody been in this situation before?
Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Admiral

Not worth the risk. They can deny you boarding with absolutely no refund. All money you have paid for cruise and travel expense will be lost.
54 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle, Breeze, Sunshine X2
6 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old February 7th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Unless they get married, they will be denied boarding.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 7th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Passenger

Right...I just think it's ridiculous that Carnival is the only one that has that policy...
Old February 7th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkissedpr1ncs
Right...I just think it's ridiculous that Carnival is the only one that has that policy...
It's because they've spent a decade getting rid of the "sprink break/frat party" reputation which caused them to be pigeonholed.... which "that demographic" created for them.

No question not everyone below 21 acts "that way", but it created enough problems for them that they felt they had to do something about it.

It's worked well for them because now the Carnvial demographic covers a wide age range.
Old February 7th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Familiar Face

i went on my honeymoon and my husband and i were only 19 they informed us that if we brought the marriage licence signed then there wouldnt be any issues...well we brought it and they never even asked us for it we had no issues cruising and because we had gotten married the day before our last name wasnt the same so i dont see how thye would have known we were married without seeing the license
Old February 7th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Passenger

We have another couple that might be coming too...one of them is over 25. If we said that he was going to be in the same cabin as my friend who is 20, would that work?

I mean, she will be 21 less than a month after the cruise? How much difference is that going to make in maturity? Plus, since she's not 21 she won't even be able to drink on the ship, which means she would be acting less crazy than the people over 21 who are drinking...makes no sense, but oh well..
Old February 7th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Admiral

If the person over 25 is listed in the same cabin, then they would be allowed to book, and go onboard. You'd have to worry about sorting out the cabin door keys.

The 21 rule is admittedly artificial. But as in land based liquor laws, a limit is chosen. Being close doesn't count.

And... though she couldn't purchase liquor on her sail and sign card, how likely is it that her friends, who are of age, won't give her any. Come on.... pull my leg
Old February 7th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Familiar Face

we had the same problem in november we could not even book the cabins unless one person met the age requirement. but had no problem changing rooms once on the ship.
Old February 7th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Actually the policy was recently amended slightly as I found when getting my group together for this summer. We have been told that if you have a minor cabin (under 21) then as long as you have someone over 25 in your party who will sign for you as a "chaperone" then you will be permitted to travel. The 25 year old must have an adjacent cabin though so cabin assignments are a must, but sharing a cabin is no longer mandatory. So just find some friends who are 25+ to go and you're good! Just don't abuse it and make them change their minds oh and of course you'll have to fill out minor forms etc but good luck!!
05/14/2008 Carnival Spirit (Glacier Bay - Alaska)
11/12/2007 Carnival Freedom (US Inaugural - W Carib)
02/01/2007 Celebration (Bahamas)
Old February 7th, 2008, 11:27 PM
StephenAGoreJr

We just booked for spring break. I being the 25 year old had to be next door or across the hall. hard to get the same cheap rooms with the guarantees though because it makes you have to book the same category. Fortunately we had a resident rate for oceanview 6A on the carnival valor!!!!!
Old February 8th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenAGoreJr
We just booked for spring break. I being the 25 year old had to be next door or across the hall. hard to get the same cheap rooms with the guarantees though because it makes you have to book the same category. Fortunately we had a resident rate for oceanview 6A on the carnival valor!!!!!
Did you take the guarantee or take assignments? I was told you must take assignments because if by chance they cannot accommodate both of you in adjacent cabins (which can be difficult so close to departure) that we would not be able to travel since we were not in compliance with the minor policy. Personally a risk I was not willing to take.

Sounds like a great trip though! Enjoy!!
05/14/2008 Carnival Spirit (Glacier Bay - Alaska)
11/12/2007 Carnival Freedom (US Inaugural - W Carib)
02/01/2007 Celebration (Bahamas)