Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 7th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Passenger

Default Cruise fuel surcharge under review by Attorney General

Florida's attorney general is reviewing whether cruise lines such as Carnival Corp. adequately disclosed surcharges they started billing passengers this month to offset rising fuel prices.

Attorney General Bill McCollum has received 150 complaints from customers regarding the fuel surcharge, spokeswoman Sandi Copes said Tuesday. The charge was announced in November by both cruise lines and it began to be applied on voyages beginning Feb. 1.

"We are reviewing complaints about whether cruise lines can retroactively impose a fuel supplement/fuel surcharge to passengers," Copes said in an e-mail. She added that the primary concern is "the adequate disclosure of surcharges and whether or not consumers are aware of surcharges up front at the point of sale."
Old February 7th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

Old news.....Here's a link, since you obviously missed it:

www.cruisemates.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=589814

Captain
Old February 7th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Admiral

Captain:
Is there any more information on this Fuel Surcharge?

I know me and my group paid it.

I was wondering/hoping if Carnival will have to pay it back!!!!

I don't believe it will...but it would be sooooo nice if they did.

Darlene
Destiny-4/9/2000-E. Caribbean
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old February 7th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDWITCH 13
Captain:

Darlene

Darlene,
It is just wishful thinking. I don't see it happening. Carnival angered a ton of customers the way they implemented it. I think all travel-related businesses should be subjected to some kind of law somewhat similar to what they have in the European Union, you advertise a price and that advertised price should be all-inclusive. No BS add-ons like fees, port charges, govt tax, fuel surcharges or other crap. That way people will know UPFRONT what the bottom line is.

Captain
Old February 7th, 2008, 10:31 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainEdwardJohnSmith
Quote:
Captain:

Darlene

Darlene,
It is just wishful thinking. I don't see it happening. Carnival pissed a ton of customers the way they implemented it. I think all travel-related businesses should be subjected to some kind of law somewhat similar to what they have in the European Union, you advertise a price and that advertised price should be all-inclusive. No BS add-ons like fees, port charges, govt tax, fuel surcharges or other crap. That way people will know UPFRONT what the bottom line is.

Captain
Captain don't give up yet. I also got a letter from the Florida Attorney General's office in response to the complaint I filed about the fuel surcharge. After complaints were filed in Canada it was determined that the cruise lines could not add the fuel surcharge after the fact. Who knows the U.S. might come back and say the same thing.

Read and post cruise reviews

Fascination 01/02
Imagination 07/02
Glory 07/04
Glory 12/04
Valor 12/05
Miracle 08/06
Fascination 10/06
Triumph 06/07
Inspiration 11/07
Destiny 08/08 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 11/09 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 10/10 (VIP Status)
Destiny 10/11 (VIP Status)
Enchantment of the Seas(RC)04/13
Dream 07/13
Old February 8th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

Canadian's did get a refund for the fuel surcharge. However, it was only if you booked before November 2007 if I recall. I'm still paying it for my 2 upcoming cruises though.
05/14/2008 Carnival Spirit (Glacier Bay - Alaska)
11/12/2007 Carnival Freedom (US Inaugural - W Carib)
02/01/2007 Celebration (Bahamas)
Old February 8th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Admiral

Johnathan(my son's name and spelling)

We booked our cruise in April of 2007. That was a year before we cruise. I think that if we were going to get any money back, we would have heard by now.

I can keep wishing until we cruise. Who knows, it just may happen?

Darlene

Thanks everyone for you quick replies
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old February 9th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Beginner

Captain[/quote]
Captain don't give up yet. I also got a letter from the Florida Attorney General's office in response to the complaint I filed about the fuel surcharge. After complaints were filed in Canada it was determined that the cruise lines could not add the fuel surcharge after the fact. Who knows the U.S. might come back and say the same thing.[/quote]

But it is too late now,as those affected have already started sailing.What they could end up with would be a voucher for $35 off a future cruise at which time they would increase the fare by $35.
Old February 10th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Admiral

I agree, I'm doing my 2nd cruise in June and I booked it in August. when I had my TA take off the post-cruise transfer to MIA because I won't need it, she informed me of the $20 fuel surcharge. I think that if you already booked, it shouldn't apply. You book based on all costs and fees at that time. Yes, apply it to future bookings, but don't go retroactive. That sucks big time and I think it should be illegal, if it isn't. If they can get away with this, what else can they end up sticking on post-booking?
Old February 10th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Johnathan(my son's name and spelling)

We booked our cruise in April of 2007. That was a year before we cruise. I think that if we were going to get any money back, we would have heard by now.

I can keep wishing until we cruise. Who knows, it just may happen?

Darlene

Thanks everyone for you quick replies
Sorry Darlene, but from what I heard it only was taken off if you booked before Nov 2007 and lived in the great white north (Canada!) I didn't hear anything about refunding American passengers. If it makes you feel any better, I didn't get any refund back and am still paying the surcharge for my next two cruises! Only a small amount of people got it taken off.
05/14/2008 Carnival Spirit (Glacier Bay - Alaska)
11/12/2007 Carnival Freedom (US Inaugural - W Carib)
02/01/2007 Celebration (Bahamas)
Old February 10th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Shirley Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1959
I agree, I'm doing my 2nd cruise in June and I booked it in August. when I had my TA take off the post-cruise transfer to MIA because I won't need it, she informed me of the $20 fuel surcharge. I think that if you already booked, it shouldn't apply. You book based on all costs and fees at that time. Yes, apply it to future bookings, but don't go retroactive. That sucks big time and I think it should be illegal, if it isn't. If they can get away with this, what else can they end up sticking on post-booking?
I agree with that if your cruise was booked before then you should pay no more IT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL I agree they have to go up but still do not go backward to do it apply to those who have booked after the fact
Conquest 3/10
Ecstasy 6/11
Magic 11/11
Old February 21st, 2008, 09:26 PM
First Mate

It's not over yet. Carnival is still being looked at about this fuel surcharge. Other cruise lines are being looked at also. The cruise lines are are being looked at for possible collusion. There may be some hope yet.

Florida investigates possible collusion on cruise fuel fees
February 20, 2008

By Johanna Jainchill

Scrutiny of the cruise industry's fuel surcharge policy continues this week, as the Florida Attorney General's Office said it was looking at possible collusion among cruise lines to fix surcharges.

Three weeks ago, the state's AG office revealed it was reviewing the legality of the retroactively assessed fuel surcharges.

Sandi Copes, press secretary for the Florida Attorney General's Office, said that in a separate investigation the attorney general's Antitrust Division was looking into "any potential antitrust implications arising from various cruise lines implementing these fuel surcharges."

Last week, seven cruise companies and the Florida Caribbean Cruise Association were named in a lawsuit filed by a New York resident alleging that the cruise lines colluded and levied unreasonably high fuel surcharges.

The Florida Attorney General's Office said its investigation was unrelated to the lawsuit. Copes said that "the antitrust inquiry was focused on whether the implementation of the surcharges by several cruise lines was the product of collusion."

To contact reporter Johanna Jainchill, send e-mail to jjainchill@travelweekly.com.

Fascination 01/02
Imagination 07/02
Glory 07/04
Glory 12/04
Valor 12/05
Miracle 08/06
Fascination 10/06
Triumph 06/07
Inspiration 11/07
Dream 07/13
Old February 25th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Passenger

I booked my cruise for May last July. The fuel surcharge was added when I paid the bill off in January. I suppose I should say this and run but I have no problem with paying an additional $35 for 7 days of traveling around the Caribbean. I never know how much more I have to pay each time I fill my car's gas tank and apples are now $1.49 a pound, fish cost more than beef and I paid $1.39 for a dozen eggs today. So why not expect that ships can run without increases ?. Yes, I can see that people moan because it was a retroactive deal.......but moan and groan over $35 ? I'm retired and living mainly on my Social Security. I am sure the extra $35 out of my pocket is not going to have an impact on my enjoyment of the cruise.
Old February 25th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Shirley Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy1942
I booked my cruise for May last July. The fuel surcharge was added when I paid the bill off in January. I suppose I should say this and run but I have no problem with paying an additional $35 for 7 days of traveling around the Caribbean. I never know how much more I have to pay each time I fill my car's gas tank and apples are now $1.49 a pound, fish cost more than beef and I paid $1.39 for a dozen eggs today. So why not expect that ships can run without increases ?. Yes, I can see that people moan because it was a retroactive deal.......but moan and groan over $35 ? I'm retired and living mainly on my Social Security. I am sure the extra $35 out of my pocket is not going to have an impact on my enjoyment of the cruise.
Nancy 1942 the charge is not the point it is some of have paid our trips in full its kind of like buying a car and paying the full amount then when you go to pick it up they say oh by the way the price went up so we have to charge you more for that which you have already agreed and paid shouldn't go back and charge but charge from that day forward and there would not be a conflict
Conquest 3/10
Ecstasy 6/11
Magic 11/11
Old February 25th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Passenger

I understand COMPLETELY what you and othrs are saying, Shirley, I really do. All I am saying is that I understand the increase as all other increases and feel $35 for 7 days of vacation on the ship is not an amount to complain over. Had they incrased my bill by $100 or more I would be in line with everyone else complaining.
Old February 25th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Passenger

for me the money is not an issue it is all about the principle of the thing. for me and my wife it is 70.00 tacked on to a seven day cruise where carnival has had my deposit money since july. also the cruise lines came to an agreement with the attorney general of florida in 1997 over the port fees being charged were excessive. they agreed and i quote from the attorney generals site"Under the agreements, the cruise lines can no longer charge customers any fees in addition to the advertised initial ticket price except those fees actually passed on by the company to a governmental agency" so how can they do it

Free Cruise Clocks
Big Red Boat 4-1994
Ecstasy 2-1999
Celebration 4-2007
Glory 5-2008
Old February 25th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Passenger

I guess its our turn to cmplain about the fuel surcharge too. While we do understand that EVERYTHING has gone up in price we did stil feel a little upset over this charge. We booked our cruise last year and do not cruise untill may of this year we felt the same as alot of people in as that we should not have been charged extra as we already had booked and felt that should of been a legal contract so to speak.............. But dont get us wrong we love cruises and did not let the extra 50 a room detour us from cruising. We had booked 6 rooms on this cruise to so that extra 50 actually turned into a extra 300 but never the less we are cruising in less that 70 days!!!!!!!!! whooohooo.
Old February 25th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

And to you last few posters, whom I agree with, that is WHY the attorney general is looking into it
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Passenger

I'm understanding that it is because of the WAY it was implemented. We booked our cruises last year for May/June etc. and they implemented the fees after our booking and effective before our cruise....right ?
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Admiral

We booked our May 11 cruise for this year last May. We we paid in full when this fee came to us. that is why we were upset to have a new balance.

Darlenw
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old February 26th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I'm not saying I know what is right or wrong legally, that is up the attorney general. I do agree that a contract is a contract and it seems a little unethical to assess an additonal charge after the fact. One wonders what would have happened if you refused to pay.

I do know the travel agents were not happy about being put into the position of having to contact the cruisers and ask for the additional money.
Old February 26th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Admiral

We worked with a Vacation Planner from Carnival and she said none of them were at all happy about contacting all their people for more money even after some were paid in full.

It is a very hard thing to have to do.

I bet we wouldn't have been permitted to go at all if we would have decided not to pay. It was added on to our statment and sent out again.

Darlene
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old February 27th, 2008, 08:31 PM
First Mate

Quote:
We worked with a Vacation Planner from Carnival and she said none of them were at all happy about contacting all their people for more money even after some were paid in full.

It is a very hard thing to have to do.

I bet we wouldn't have been permitted to go at all if we would have decided not to pay. It was added on to our statment and sent out again.

Darlene
You are 100 percent correct. If you had refused to pay Carnival would have been glad to give you your money back and sold your room to someone else for more money plus the fuel surcharge. If you look at what the attorney general is looking at it's not just the adding of the fuel charge. They are looking at the way all of the cruise lines did this all around the same time. It will be very interesting to see how all of this turns out.

Fascination 01/02
Imagination 07/02
Glory 07/04
Glory 12/04
Valor 12/05
Miracle 08/06
Fascination 10/06
Triumph 06/07
Inspiration 11/07
Dream 07/13
Old February 28th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Passenger

I had no idea that people who live in Canada could get a refund until I read it here. I booked our cruise on Princess in Sept/07 and after paying for it in full received a bill for another $60.00 for the fuel surcharge. After reading this thread I contacted Princess and was told that this is correct and to contact my agent...which I did. I just talked to him and Princess is refunding this amount back to my credit card. So, thanks Cruisemates.