Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 9th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Beginner

Default Holiday Reviews

I have been hearing bad reviews of the Holiday lately. Has anyone been on the Holiday lately.
Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Admiral

Yes, I was on the Holiday 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately some of the reviews may be correct. It really depends on what you are looking for. Holiday is an amazing value and it is very convenient to cruise out of Mobile. Holiday is somewhat tired and needs a little spruce up but still acceptable unless you are looking for total luxury. If that is the case choose a Conquest or Spirit class ship. The on-shore staff at Mobile is probably the best in the business and the ship's staff was very friendly. I found the food to be average. It was really no better or worse than many other ships. Entertainment is pretty much what you would expect from Carnival although they do have a production show called "Extreme Country" featuring longtime C/D Steve Cassel playing fiddle that I have seen on no other ship. On our last cruise there were about 200 pax and some crew sick with Norwalk. The hot tubs and pool were closed for half of the cruise. I am sure that got some bad reviews but that can happen on any ship. Rumor is that a Fantasy class ship will be coming to Mobile maybe next year.
HAL Statendam, MSC Divina
Old February 9th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Holiday Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyRose
I have been hearing bad reviews of the Holiday lately. Has anyone been on the Holiday lately.
Sadly, some folks come on and tell only the negative (along with exaggerations and generalizations) and that is unfair to readers depending on honest information.

We sailed her Dec 08, 2007 to say "goodbye". We have sailed her many times and know she is about the be retired.

The facts are:

1. Yes, you will experience brown water for 3 - 5 seconds. It is rust in the lines that takes a few seconds to clear out.
2. Yes, there is a shimmy (especially when powered up) so get a cabin at least on Upper and mid ship.
3. Yes, she is looking tired, but still clean and operational.
4. Yes, you will feel the waves more on her than larger ships.

While it was not our best cruise, we still got more than our money's worth.
We were on Empress deck - midship - OV 3 people 5 days for less than $1,000.

The staff and crew were wonderful. The food was a little less than average for Carnival standards where the beef was concerned and on par where the seafood was concerned.

I do believe they are trying to squeeze one more year out of her and I personally think that is a mistake. They should send the Holiday to Spain in the April and move the Celebration to Mobile for the one year left before a Fantasy class ship comes there.

Steve Cassel is not the best cruise director in the world. He has been doing it a long time and apparently he needs to retire as well. You can tell he is now mechanical in his "smile" and greetings. But he plays one heck of a fiddle. The rest of the staff and crew were great.

As with anything, you get back what you put into it. If someone is looking for imperfections....they will definately find them. But it wasn't anything that truly affected our cruise.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old February 9th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Admiral

Sad...

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 9th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Beginner

Thank you all for responding. This will be our second cruise. Our first was on the Sensation out of Port Canaveral. The water was brown for a few seconds on that ship as well. That doesn't bother me. I know it's an older ship hence the price be so low but I am still looking forward to cruising.
Old February 9th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Admiral

your last post is the best mind set to have....you always have to be careful about other folks reviews..I cruised the Holiday when she was brand new back in the day and thought it was great..I would suspect if I cruised her now I would be very disappointed..it's all relative

I happen to prefer the older smaller ships..less bells and whistles but it's more then made up for by the spirit of the crew and the fact that there are no lines..as long as the sea is smooth and the weather is nice..you'll be fine
Old February 9th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Captain

My husband and I did back to back cruises on the Holiday a year or so back. We had a wonderful time. Yes, the ship is old and small, but the crew and staff were the friendliest of any ship we've been on. We have another BTB booked on it for September and are really looking forward to it.

Libragirl
Old February 16th, 2008, 01:05 PM
First Mate

Cheers to all CruiseMates for a fair discussion of the Holiday experience. I have been on Holiday, Navigator of the Seas, and Sovereign of the Seas. I could pick a few nits on any of them. Our cabin on Sovereign was so small that we could have stumbled into the room drunk and it would have been virtually impossible to miss the bed. That can be a plus under some circumstances. Our inside cabin overlooking the promenade on Navigator had a squeak in it that would have kept us awake had we not had a noise machine. Holiday has its faults too, but it seems there are haters out there who exaggerate and sometimes even fabricate.
I know that for most people a Fantasy class ship would be far preferable, but NOLA is very close by, so why not celebrate the variety? Holiday and Celebration are our last affordable shots at the "Love Boat" type experience, and some of us find that charming [my age is showing]
Sovereign of the Seas 2007
Carnival Fantasy 2008
Carnival Fascination 9/14/09
Freedom of the Seas 11/28/10
Old February 17th, 2008, 05:15 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyRose
Thank you all for responding. This will be our second cruise. Our first was on the Sensation out of Port Canaveral. The water was brown for a few seconds on that ship as well. That doesn't bother me. I know it's an older ship hence the price be so low but I am still looking forward to cruising.
Sensation is looking dated these days im afraid. I think the 3 and 4 day cruise ships are so hard to maintain because of the constant turnover of passengers.

MAY 2011 - CARNIVAL GLORY
MAY 2010 - CARNIVAL DREAM
MAY 2009 CARNIVAL FASCINATION
APR 2008 CARNIVAL INSPIRATION
JUN-2007 CARNIVAL SENSATION
NOV-2006 CARNIVAL LEGEND
APR-2006 CARNIVAL INSPIRATION
JAN -2000 CARNIVAL IMAGINATION
Old February 17th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Admiral

The Holiday has trips planned up to December 28, 2009 from Mobile. She still has quite a bit of time left here.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 17th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Passenger

I found Holiday to be a good value. Not as opulant as most other ships, but a good time just the same. No negatives to speak of, and the food was better than we expected (and superior to food we had on some 'better' class ships). Dining room service was probably the area that was lacking the most. Not enough to become an actual complaint mind you; just not up to par.

Holiday is a great ship for first time cruisers. It is relatively inexpensive, easy to get to and quick (4 or 5 days). Sort of like a a starter cruise. Another reason to support the Holiday IMHO, if Mobile proves to be a viable port, they will add a second ship!
Nov. 2002 Carnival Legend Western Caribbean
May 1998 Royal Caribbean Enchantment Mediterranean
Nov. 1996 Carnival Fascination Southern Caribbean
April 1988 American Hawaiian Hawaiian Islands
Nov. 1986 Regency Western Caribbean
Old February 17th, 2008, 03:58 PM
First Mate

Default just back from Holiday

Hey! We just arrived back home from our first cruise and it was on the Holiday and we loved it. The new cruise director said that the Holiday was doing so well that they were going to keep it around for a while and was looking at adding another ship to Mobile.
Dewayne & Priscilla

Free Cruise Clocks
Old February 17th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Admiral

Default Re: just back from Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa2cool
Hey! We just arrived back home from our first cruise and it was on the Holiday and we loved it. The new cruise director said that the Holiday was doing so well that they were going to keep it around for a while and was looking at adding another ship to Mobile.
Dewayne & Priscilla
Who was your CD??? (It will be listed in your Capers if you have forgotten)

We were on her in December and it was Steve Cassel. We were not impressed.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old February 17th, 2008, 07:30 PM
First Mate

The cruise director on the Holiday when we went last week was Jacques De Lange. Don't know anything about him though. We only saw him during the debarkation talk.

Free Cruise Clocks
Old February 22nd, 2008, 01:26 PM
Passenger

My wife and I were on that Holiday Cruise 2-11 through 2-15. It was her first, my third, and we loved it.

It is probably time to put the old girl out of service, but she still makes for a great party boat. Everyone on her who has posted is pretty much right - Holiday shows her age but she has a great crew and they do great work to make your cruise a great one.

Fiddlin' Steve I know nothing about as a CD ... he can play a mean fiddle, but he is no Charlie Daniels. Then again, Charlie is no Steve Cassel. The CD was Jacque Le Lange, from South Africa, and he was very good, and his two assistants, Byron and Sam, were equally excellent.

Cruise on Holiday all you want until Carnvial does pull the plug, you will not be disappointed unless you are expecting something the ship simply is not.

Mobile is an excellent cruise port. She has proven her worth with a great staff at the terminal, but what no one discusses is the things to do in Mobile, - Bellingrath Gardens is great, the Alabama display in the Bay is a great time and when Mobile is doing Mardi Gras, it is outstanding without the New Orleans sleaze and gargantuan feel.

I understand the port is being improved so bigger ships can get in, and Mobile has been profitible to Carnvial. They will likely get a Fantasy-class ship, and maybe two. I imagine Mobile is a more cost-efficient port than New Orleans, as well.

Old February 22nd, 2008, 02:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just returned from a B2B on the Holiday. She does not have all the glitter of the larger ships, but is still a wonderful ship and a great value.

I did talk to Jacques (cruise director) and he told he he is a fill-in for Steve Cassel while Steve is on vacatin.

Jacques (IMHO) is one of the best cruise directors in Carnivals fleet, and will hopefully soon get his own ship.

We too did have brown water that did not go away, but we had bottle water to drink and still felt clean after our showers, so no worries.

Will post trip review soon!

Conquest 6/05
Triumph 2/06
Holiday 5/06
Miracle 2/07
Glory 6/07
Holiday 2/08
Holiday 2/08 (B2B)
Legend 1/09
Spirit 5/09
Holiday 8/09
Triumph 12/09
Valor 5/10
Old February 22nd, 2008, 02:13 PM
Passenger

It is nice to hear these positive reviews concerning Holiday. We leave on 3-6 and I was beginning to worry. This will be our first cruise so hopefully, we won't know enough to be disappointed and will be pleasantly surprised.
I worry that the pool won't be open...does that happen often?
Old February 22nd, 2008, 09:59 PM
Familiar Face

FYI: The Battle House, A Renaissance Hotel by Marriott is a wonderful overnight stay near the port in Mobile. A beautiful historical hotel. quaint restaurants you can walk too and the Imax downtown is a great place to visit.
Also, the beaches are beautiful and just a short drive from Mobile. Dauphlin Island, Gulf Shores and Fort Morgan. 8)
Serenade October 2010
Freedom May 2010

Fantasy Nov. 2009
Serenade 2009
Victory March 2008
Holiday 2007
Rhapsody of the Seas 2006
Paradise 2004
Monarch of the Seas 2002
Paradise 2000
Big Red Boat 3x
NCL Sunward II