Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 9th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Passenger

Default Small travel iron

Will it be confiscated if I pack one in my luggage or carry-on ?
Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Travel irons are a severe fire hazzard. Don't bring one!!

Carnival ships have self serve laundry on each passenger deck with irons, and ironing boards available for use free.

We carry a travel steamer which is actually just as effective as an iron, other than getting those perfect creases.

Instead of worrying about what may be seized, worry about the damage the device could cause.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 9th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Admiral

Please don't even think about it. Irons are forbidden on all cruise ships due to a potential fire hazard.

Just use the ones in the laundry room or send the stuff out to the ship's laundry.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old February 9th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Travel Iron

How can a travel iron be a fire hazzard? I suppose if you forget to unplug it, that could be a problem. While it's true that there are facilities on board where you can iron something, more often than not there is usually a line of people waiting to use an iron, especially on formal night(s). And sometimes the irons are so over used they don't work very well. As an alternative, Downy makes a product that you spray on wrinkled fabric and it helps remove wrinkles. Just make sure you put it in a zip lock bag and pack it such a way that it won't leak.
Old February 9th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
How can a travel iron be a fire hazzard?
How many shirts have burn holes in them from these devices?

How long do you think it would take a towel (used as an ironing board) to catch fire when that forgotten iron tips over on a moving ship?

The cruise lines forbiid them for fear of fire onboard! The original poster obviously knew that, or wouldn't have asked the question in the manner they did.

Why is it people keep looking to check to see if others have found ways to break the rules?
Old February 10th, 2008, 08:06 AM
First Mate

Please dont take a iron. They have them on the ship for you
to use or you can send something out to get pressed.

Keep us safe ...... Pay to have something ironed...

sammy1954

Liberty April 26, 2008
Old February 10th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Shirley Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
Travel irons are a severe fire hazzard. Don't bring one!!

Carnival ships have self serve laundry on each passenger deck with irons, and ironing boards available for use free.

We carry a travel steamer which is actually just as effective as an iron, other than getting those perfect creases.

Instead of worrying about what may be seized, worry about the damage the device could cause.
Thanks Kuki was wondering if small travel steamer was OK I have small one I want to take so thanks for info
Conquest 3/10
Ecstasy 6/11
Magic 11/11
Old February 10th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Passenger

Thanks for all the responses :-) I have been ironing for 55 years, folks, and never burned a darn thing. I have always been very "fire conscious" and was even a "Safety Director" for many years at work.

Now...back to my question.....will the iron be confiscated ?
Old February 10th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Admiral

Quote:
DUH.... sorry, but another fine example of people who will do what they want. Why ask the question?

I owned a building for 28 years. One day I burnt it down, by accident.

But by all means do what you think is right for you
Old February 10th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Shirley Jones

sry I redid my post its a small travel steamer ! But as far as an Iron I would imagine they will confiscate it
Conquest 3/10
Ecstasy 6/11
Magic 11/11
Old February 10th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

Why take the chance of having your travel iron confiscated? Try a travel steamer. I love mine. It gets out most wrinkles. I couldn't get one out on my husbands tux so I went to the laundry room where some lady seemed to be ironing a weeks worth of clothing, which I think is very rude. But I asked her if she would mind if when she finished the piece she was working on could I use the iron to take out the one stubborn wrinkle. She said that was fine. So it worked out Ok.
It would be wise to check clothing when you unpack and that way you might get ahead of the crowd for the laundry services on the first night or two or late at night or early in the morning. I know I won't be there early.
Carnival Dream-Oct 2010-Eastern Caribbean
RCL Oasis-May 2010-Western Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy-April 2010-Mexico
HAL Ryndam-Sept 2009-Alaska
Carnival Holiday-May 2009-Cozumel
Carnival Celebration-April 2008-Key West, Nassau
Carnival Liberty-May 2007-Panama Canal
Carnival Miracle-Apr 2006 (1st for DH)- Mexico, Belize
Carnival Holiday-Feb 2005-Mexico
Carnival Fascination-Dec 2000-Nassau
Old February 10th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Captain

Please follow the rules. NO IRONS. I don't want to have to jump off a burning ship, and I'm sure no one else wants to either. There are irons you can use in the self-serve laundry.

Libragirl
Old February 10th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy1942
Thanks for all the responses :-) I have been ironing for 55 years, folks, and never burned a darn thing. I have always been very "fire conscious" and was even a "Safety Director" for many years at work.

The safety rules are in place for a good reason. You may have been ironing for 55 years, but it only takes one mishap to set fire to the ship, and a cruise ship on fire can and will move quickly and has the potential to kill or seriously injure hundreds to thousands of people. Sneaking alcohol or soda pop onboard is one thing, sneaking a fire hazard onboard a ship is entirely different!

As a firefighter for 20 years now, I can't tell you how many times a home or building owner has told us about the simple activity they were doing (like burning candles or working on their car in an enclosed garage) and had done hundreds of times before and can't understand how a fire started!

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old February 10th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Admiral

I retired from the insurance claims business and can tell you for a fact that because you have done something for 55 years and never had a problem doesn't mean you won't or can't have a problem. And too, I can tell you that a fire in a hotel room or a house is one hell of a lot different that a fire on a ship several hundreds of miles at sea.
I have cruised in excess of 30 times and have never needed an iron. Why take a chance on creating a problem--

I have seen many fires started from appliances that someone " thought "
they had turned off. Use a steamer--pay a few dollars to have something pressed--but don't put a ship full of people in jeopardy just because you
haven't set anything on fire with your iron for the past 55 years.

If I were on a ship and someone started a fire over something silly like an iron, if I survived and could find the culprit, they would probably be strangled with the iron's cord.
Old February 11th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Passenger

I know what Blueliner and Don are saying, I knew that before you stated it but thanks for the reminder for everyone :-) If the cruise lines are so adamant about small irons starting a fire would not the next consideration be smoking in the cabins espcially after drinking ? Does anyone know the ratio of fires starting from a small travel iron vs smoking in bed ? Which brings another question to mind... no smoke detectors or sprinkler heads in the cabins ?
Old February 11th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy1942
If the cruise lines are so adamant about small irons starting a fire would not the next consideration be smoking in the cabins espcially after drinking ? Does anyone know the ratio of fires starting from a small travel iron vs smoking in bed ? Which brings another question to mind... no smoke detectors or sprinkler heads in the cabins ?
Yes, which is why many cruise lines have smoking in designated areas only and are banned in cabins. A cruise ship fire just a few years ago was suspected to be due to a balcony stateroom guest throwing his cigerette over the side and the still lit cigerette landed on a towel on another balcony just below it and a fire started.

While the cabins do have detectors and sprinklers, these devices are not meant to extinguish a fire, only notify and hopefully hold the fire in check until emergency personnel arrive. The cabins onboard modern cruise ships are built in a "modular" design, which means they are built as seperate "mods" and then sent to the shipyard to be inserted in the ship. Because space and weight are of such a concern onboard a cruise ship, they are not built to the same fire rating as building structures, like your home in the US or Canada, are. These cabins have NO fire stops in the walls, and any kind of fire in the cabin can and will be devistating. Just a very small fire in a cabin, even held in check by a sprinkler, can release lots of deadly smoke and gasses into the ships ventilation system and atmosphere and kill or injure many. The real danger from a fire isn't the flames, it's the toxic smoke and gasses released from even a very small fire.

There are 2 other things to consider. First, while a fire is considered an extreme hazard onboard a ship, so is flooding. The sprinkler system onboard a ship is usually set at a fairly high heat threshold to activate, and the water pressure released will only be meant to contain a fire, not extinguish it. Ship emergency personnel would arrive soon and use "atomized" water bursts from the fire hoses to extinguish the fire and not flood the compartments.

Second, the real danger from an iron onboard ship not only comes from the heat of the iron itself, but from the power needed to operate them. The average iron burns at a temperature so high, that the iron pulls much more power from the outlet. Rememeber that the cabins are built to conserve weight and space, both commodities a premium onboard a cruise ship. The cabins are built with smaller guage wires that you would find in your home. Next time onboard, time how long it takes to charge up your digital camera battery onboard as compared to an outlet in your home. These cabins are not built to take a lot of power through the outlets, and irons use much more power than other small appliances and batteries to operate and reach the high temperatures needed to operate properly. The overheated wires in the walls and outlet are just as much, if not more of, a fire hazard than the iron itself.

The cruise ships that service US ports and US and Canadian citizens have very strict fire codes that are enforced by the US Coast Guard. The ships and cruise lines take them very seriously, which is WHY you hardly ever hear of a fire onboard. The lack of fire and fire related deaths on cruise ships is BECAUSE of these strict fire regulations(like bans on irons in cabins), not despite them. Don't smoke where you shouldn't, don't throw cigerettes (or anything for that matter) overboard, and leave the travel irons at home!

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old February 11th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

My, but you're determined. Do you mind if I ask what ship you're going on and the date?
Carnival Dream-Oct 2010-Eastern Caribbean
RCL Oasis-May 2010-Western Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy-April 2010-Mexico
HAL Ryndam-Sept 2009-Alaska
Carnival Holiday-May 2009-Cozumel
Carnival Celebration-April 2008-Key West, Nassau
Carnival Liberty-May 2007-Panama Canal
Carnival Miracle-Apr 2006 (1st for DH)- Mexico, Belize
Carnival Holiday-Feb 2005-Mexico
Carnival Fascination-Dec 2000-Nassau
Old February 11th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Yes, which is why many cruise lines have smoking in designated areas only and are banned in cabins.
That's not factual. Though some lines have now banned smoking in cabins, the majority still allow it.

Ya, just know the smoking/vs ironing arguement had to come up from some determined to break the rules

While cigarettes are without a doubt, signs are in place reminding people not to smoke in bed. However when so many people are determined to break the rules to suit themselves, no matter what it pertains, I'd say there is severe danger on a ship, and the solution is no one should cruise

The heat generated by a forgotten iron is MUCH higher than that of a smoldering cigarette. Therefore the irons are a much greater risk, and a damaging fire can ignite MUCH more quickly.
Old February 11th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Admiral

for goodness sake leave the travel iron at home; if you must, take a steamer, as it can not only steam clothes, but steam any pesty bed bugs

I am always amazed at folks that actually WANT to iron on vacation; the first thing I do when I get access to my room is send my clothes to be ironed by the cruise staff; it isn't a big charge and they do a wonderful job... more time to enjoy the good stuff
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old February 11th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Passenger

"Ya, just know the smoking/vs ironing arguement had to come up from some determined to break the rules "

Well, Yuki, you have absolutely no idea what kind of a person I am. I only asked the question BEFORE I would have brought the iron onboard. In NO WAY was I someone "determined to break the rules", I was just asking WHAT the rules were so I would be in compliance. I also did not start a "smoking vs ironing arguement...one question just lead to he next for me... I am very fire conscious and wondered about smoking.

Thanks to blueliner for the explanation It is deeply appreciated.

And, Yuki, I bought the steamer today BEFORE I read your recent posting about my "determination"
Old February 11th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Admiral

Well Nancy.. if I misread your persistance I apologize. But you were being pretty persistent looking for permission to take an iron

Glad to hear you settled on the steamer though. I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised at how effective they are. We've been carrying one for 10 years... and the only thing wrinkled is my skin.
Old February 11th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

while going through cruise security to board the Pride on Feb 3, a man ahead of me had placed a travel iron in his carry on. Security who x-rayed his bag requested he remove it from the bag. They informed him of the choice to ship it home or throw it away. He chose to throw it away since no employee could really say how close the nearest package shipping company (Fed Ex, UPS, or USPS) was from the cruise terminal. He was not happy about having to part with the iron, but after an explanation of why he could not have it on board he accepted it and when on with the checkin process.
Old February 11th, 2008, 10:27 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
Well Nancy.. if I misread your persistance I apologize. But you were being pretty persistent looking for permission to take an iron

Glad to hear you settled on the steamer though. I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised at how effective they are. We've been carrying one for 10 years... and the only thing wrinkled is my skin.
But, Kuki - you have a steamer. Doesn't that steam the wrinkles away?

05/03 Smokefree Paradise
08/04 Smokefree Paradise (8 days due to Francis)
01/07 Carnival Liberty
11/07 Carnival Freedom Transatlantic
05/08 Carnival Liberty
12/09 Carnival Pride
06/10 Carnival Glory
Old February 12th, 2008, 07:15 AM
First Mate

We don't take a iron or a steamer on our cruises. But then we don't care about wrinkled clothing either. Just make sure that you have fun.

Read and post cruise reviews

Fascination 01/02
Imagination 07/02
Glory 07/04
Glory 12/04
Valor 12/05
Miracle 08/06
Fascination 10/06
Triumph 06/07
Inspiration 11/07
Destiny 08/08 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 11/09 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 10/10 (VIP Status)
Destiny 10/11 (VIP Status)
Enchantment of the Seas(RC)04/13
Dream 07/13
Old February 12th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Familiar Face

This thread has been a TRIP!!! to read but I'm with everyone else LEAVE YOUR IRONS AT HOME PLEASE!!!!

Carnival Fascination March 2008
Carnival Destiny March 2009
Carnival Imagination June 2010
All Inclusive Cancun August 2010
Carnival Destiny October 2010
Carnival Fantasy May 2011
Carnival Fantasy October 2011
Carnival Fascination January 2012
Old February 12th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Captain

I took a bottle of downy wrinkle release This stuff works try it
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old February 12th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Passenger

Yes, I certainly did open a can of worms, so to say ! But really...All I needed was a "yes" or "no" response or a "they are not allowed" and I would know not to bring it. Gotta say I didn't mean to start a debate or agrument and REALLY am taken back that someone wanted to know which ship I was sailing on.... did this post mean that he/she would not sail on the same ship with me because of this issue??? If so....WOW !!!!
Old February 12th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Beginner

A little OT to the whole travel iron issue but, I have a laundry question.

Each deck has it's own laundry? Is that a coin operated laundry complete with washers and dryers?

I am cruise clueless. We are going on our first one in May.

Thank you!
Old February 12th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshot
A little OT to the whole travel iron issue but, I have a laundry question.

Each deck has it's own laundry? Is that a coin operated laundry complete with washers and dryers?

I am cruise clueless. We are going on our first one in May.

Thank you!
Yes it is coin operated. Two dollars worth of quarters for the machines.

What ship?

As far as the iron. You have the right answer. They are not welcome, but I have found that wrinkles are a part of cruising, and most if not all don't even notice.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old February 12th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Passenger

Someone else's post left me with a question too.

We recently returned from sailing on the Conquest. I admit I didn't do more than glance at the different price lists for laundry service, but was there a choice of having the clothes pressed only? I didn't notice that choice, didn't look closely but that would be very handy for the next trip.
Also, do you remember average price of shirt/slacks/skirt?