CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Cozumel snorkeling (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/346431-cozumel-snorkeling.html)

mobius February 10th, 2008 12:07 PM

Cozumel snorkeling

My husband and I are going on our first cruise for our anniversary in September 08. We both very much enjoy snorkeling and plan on doing this in Cozumel. Can anyone give us some suggestions on the places and/or shore excursions that would have the best snorkeling?

lhp February 11th, 2008 09:55 AM

Re: Cozumel snorkeling

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobius
My husband and I are going on our first cruise for our anniversary in September 08. We both very much enjoy snorkeling and plan on doing this in Cozumel. Can anyone give us some suggestions on the places and/or shore excursions that would have the best snorkeling?

The very best snorkeling in Cozumel is at the reefs which require a catamaran (or boat) to get to. The snorkel tours are generally one hour at each reef (there are two of them). Cozumel is VERY tourist friendly HOWEVER since you are first time cruisers....I would suggest that you spend a little more money and take the ship's tour....only because I don't want your excursion to be distracted in any way by worrying about getting back to the ship on time.

Snorkeling from the beach in Cozumel is not what experienced snorkelers would call good. The only exception is Chankanaab Park which would be my second choice if for some reason you did not want to snorkel from a boat. But I have heard lately the CP currents can be stronger than some are used to. Not bad...but you need to be a decent swimmer to be comfortable.

So my first recommendation is a ship excursion to the reefs.
(our friends did that and LOVED IT)

My second recommendation is Chankanaab Park (which you can do on your own) Taxi will be about $14 one way for 4 people. Entrance fee is $16 per person.

There are more taxis than sand in Cozumel so don't worry about getting back to the ship. Just remember to keep your watch on SHIP time and ignore what the port time is....because the ship sails on SHIP time.

Have a great cruise and a wonderful day in Cozumel.

mobius February 11th, 2008 12:51 PM

Thank you for the tip! We've been thinking that the reef trip might be the way to go, but weren't sure if a person would be able to see that much while snorkeling.

lhp February 11th, 2008 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobius
Thank you for the tip! We've been thinking that the reef trip might be the way to go, but weren't sure if a person would be able to see that much while snorkeling.

I am not a snorkeler....but from my friends who are...their recommendation is that the reefs are the best.

There is something about the iron ore in the water and the wave action that prevents snorkeling from the beach in Cozumel from being very good. Snorkeling from the beach is ok for first timers...but real snorkelers may be disappointed.

I believe Chankanaab Park built their own which is why they are the second choice for someone who does not want to snorkel from a boat.

ShotoJuku February 11th, 2008 10:30 PM

How about the Kayak & Snorkeling combo excursion?