Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 12th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Passenger

Default tipping

Besides the $10 a day that is automatically added to your bill who else are you supposed to tip on a cruise vacation from start to finish? This includes stays at a hotel the night before and transfers. Do you have tip every cab driver? Do you have tip everyone that touches your bags? What about shore excursions?

This all seems like a tipping nitemare. Who all should I tip and how much?
Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Shirley Jones
Default Re: tipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauera9482
Besides the $10 a day that is automatically added to your bill who else are you supposed to tip on a cruise vacation from start to finish? This includes stays at a hotel the night before and transfers. Do you have tip every cab driver? Do you have tip everyone that touches your bags? What about shore excursions?

This all seems like a tipping nitemare. Who all should I tip and how much?
I will tip only those that I feel deserve to be tipped extra I do pre-pay so I will tip my person who cleans room and if I order from room service I will then also and yes do tip the person who helps with your bags amount uaually 1.00 a bag other than that I have paid for the tips
Conquest 3/10
Ecstasy 6/11
Magic 11/11
Old February 12th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Tipping can be a very scary thing for someone who wants to do the right thing, but is not sure what that is.

I can only speak for us, but this is what we do.

Our on board tips are now part of our cruise price. Our Travel Agent knows to add those in. I could never withdraw tips for a cruise, so this takes care of it, and not something we have to worry about while cruising.

We also tip the cabin steward a little extra, depending on how much we have left, and the extra service they provided. We have at times, given our head waiter something extra.

Our taxi fee is always rounded up, so they get a little extra.

We give generally $1.00 per bag at the ports.

We do not tip extra for the drivers of excursions, especially if that is all they talk about during the excursion itself.

I guess this advice would be along the lines of what cash to bring, but also applies to tips, so this is what I do.

When I go to the bank to get our cruise cash, I get nothing over a twenty, because most islands have a difficulty with larger bills.

I get some ten's, and the rest 5's and ones. The bank is use to it now, but they use to wonder what I could possibly do with 50 ones, but they do come in handy, and any left over, are used here at the house.

I hope this helps.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old February 12th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo
Tipping can be a very scary thing for someone who wants to do the right thing, but is not sure what that is.

I can only speak for us, but this is what we do.

Our on board tips are now part of our cruise price. Our Travel Agent knows to add those in. I could never withdraw tips for a cruise, so this takes care of it, and not something we have to worry about while cruising.

We also tip the cabin steward a little extra, depending on how much we have left, and the extra service they provided. We have at times, given our head waiter something extra.

Our taxi fee is always rounded up, so they get a little extra.

We give generally $1.00 per bag at the ports.

We do not tip extra for the drivers of excursions, especially if that is all they talk about during the excursion itself.

I guess this advice would be along the lines of what cash to bring, but also applies to tips, so this is what I do.

When I go to the bank to get our cruise cash, I get nothing over a twenty, because most islands have a difficulty with larger bills.

I get some ten's, and the rest 5's and ones. The bank is use to it now, but they use to wonder what I could possibly do with 50 ones, but they do come in handy, and any left over, are used here at the house.

I hope this helps.

Luanne
Thanks a lot that helps a lot.
Old February 12th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Admiral

Your welcome sweety!

We are here if you have other questions. Would rather you go with knowledge, than none and be disappointed.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old February 12th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Admiral

Be careful, a lot of the services are duplicated.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 12th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
Be careful, a lot of the services are duplicated.
I don't understand what you mean by a lot of the services are duplicated? Do you mean that some people tip twice when they don't need to?
Old February 12th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I would tip all those people you mentioned, cab drivers, the porters at the pier. In some cases on shore excursions you'll have a guide and or driver, if they keep you informed and throw in a few jokes, a few dollars are always welcome.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 12th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
I would tip all those people you mentioned, cab drivers, the porters at the pier. In some cases on shore excursions you'll have a guide and or driver, if they keep you informed and throw in a few jokes, a few dollars are always welcome.
I have heard you can handle your own bags at the pier and save a few bucks, is this true?
Old February 12th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Admiral

I have only been to Galveston, and it is true there, but I usually have a few extra dollars, and by the time you get to the port, you are ready to hand those bags off to anyone who will take them.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old February 12th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

When you first arrive at the pier, there will be porters to take your checked luggage on to the ship, tip them a few dollars per bag. Unless you have extra small luggage that fits through the X-Rays, you have to give them to the porters. They do however, allow you to leave the ship with your luggage if you can carry it all.

Message Boards Moderator