Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 12th, 2008, 05:46 PM
First Mate

Default Ports - St. Thomas, Antigua, Nassau

I tried to find the "Port" area on the Carnival posts, but couldn't, so here it goes.

If you have been to St. Thomas, Antigua or Nassau within the last year, would you tell me what you found that you liked/disliked in these ports. Also if there was a tour guide, who would you recommend to use?

brneyes
Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

This is my buddies web site. He is in St Thomas.

http://www.eeetours.com/index.html

He will not only tell you about the sites, he will also plan what you want to do, according to your likes.

Tell him Luanne sent you.

Have fun!!
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old February 13th, 2008, 03:34 PM
First Mate

Thank you Luanne, I'll try to see what I can find out at this end.

brneyes
Old February 13th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Nassau is a port that gets bashed in my opinion...I enjoy this port. A quick cab ride, or boat trip, can take you over to Atlantis. A fabulous porperty. You can do the Sequarium tour, The Dig, just great. I enjoy one of the prettiest shops in the Caribbean, John Bull. You can bargain at the straw market, or take an island tour.

St Thomas is the gold standard for shoppers in the Carib. Jewelry to die for, tons of perfume shops, silver, linens, leather, you name it they got it...Take the Red hook Ferry over to St John , for outstanding snorkeling.

Take the tram up to the top of the mountain right in downtown for a killer view! There is a flea market, right near where the cabbies park..Lots of fakes there..be sure to haggle.

Antigua, I have not sailed to yet.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 14th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Captain

i have been to st thomas twice and enjoyed both vist i have done the
atlantis submarine and skyride to paradise point i was also in nassau
iwe went to the atlantis resort and went to the digs we enjoy that also
Old February 14th, 2008, 01:40 PM
First Mate

I have a couple questions.

In Nassaus, what is the Sequarium trip being out in a boat and it having a glass bottom, or something like that?

What is the Dig?

brneyes
Old February 14th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Captain

the digs is aquarium which is basic on the ancient atlantis story
and it is at the atlantis hotel in nassau we found it to be very intresting
Old February 18th, 2008, 12:27 PM
First Mate

paddletoe, oh thank you for that informtion. Now I know what you are referring to. I was in Nassau and at the Atlantis, several years ago, and heard they had an acquarium, but were not there long enough to see it. We will try to see it this time, as we should have more time.

brneyes
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:37 PM
First Mate

Nassau: I liked the Queens stepps, and Pirates of the Caribbean museum both of them are within walking distance if you are reasonably fit. Also not to be missed is the Atlantis complex.
St. Thomas: The tour of St. John was interesting , the cable cars were great for a city view. I haven't been downtown at all so I can't evaluate it.
Antigua: took the island tour, just to get an overall view of the island, it was very interesting and worth the expense. We then walked around downtown, unfortunately it smelled of sewage, uptown is an old church it is very interesting, free, and a short walk away.
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old February 19th, 2008, 01:53 AM
Familiar Face

We were in Antigua last year at the end of April and we had a really amazing day at the beach. We got off our ship and walked into the courtyard area where there were a number of agents selling some tours and we stopped in front of one tour where they had taxis to different beaches on the island. The Antiguans recommended a beach called Turner's Beach and it was wonderful! We waited until a few other folks started to walk up and eventually a Japanese couple and two other couples started to look interested so we booked together. When we arrived, we were the only people on the beach! We were like this for about three hours. We had a palapa brought to us-maybe $5.00 for the palapa and lounge chairs, and we were just outside of a simple but terrific open-aire restaurant. One of the neat things that happened there was that two sailboats (the live-aboard ones) pulled up and some very ritzy looking couples dived off their boats and came to shore to drink margueritas and eat the burgers (as if that was their favourite destination ever!). Up until that time we were alone on Turner's Beach. Now, the taxi fare for all of us was $32.00 and we divided it up and at 2:30 promptly the tall black taxi driver came walking up to us on the beach and said "I am here" so we knew to grab our stuff and go back. It was an amazing day and the beach was lovely, long white sand beach, and we almost didn't spend time out of the water. It was as warm as baby milk. A fabulous day!!! I felt very safe the whole day and I just knew that our taxi driver would be back for us. It just felt right somehow. Hope this helps out for Antigua!
Old February 21st, 2008, 10:42 AM
First Mate

I have a couple questions for whoever wishes to answer.

In Nassau, can you walk from the ship to the Queens staircase? My friend wanted to know, once you get to the top, is it like a mountain, or can you walk down the other side or what? As for the Pirates of the Caribbean Museau, what is that all about?

In Antigua, Turners Beach was mentioned. Did you take a cab or what? If so, do you remember the cost, and will they take you and pick you up, or will there be other cabs there to take you back? I understood that you said there weren't too many people on that beach, so that is why I was asking.

brneyes
Old February 21st, 2008, 01:23 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Now, the taxi fare for all of us was $32.00 and we divided it up and at 2:30 promptly the tall black taxi driver came walking up to us on the beach and said "I am here" so we knew to grab our stuff and go back.

Does this answer the questions? :o
Old February 22nd, 2008, 08:31 PM
Familiar Face

Where is the best beach in St Thomas and St Marteen. (SP)
Serenade October 2010
Freedom May 2010

Fantasy Nov. 2009
Serenade 2009
Victory March 2008
Holiday 2007
Rhapsody of the Seas 2006
Paradise 2004
Monarch of the Seas 2002
Paradise 2000
Big Red Boat 3x
NCL Sunward II
Old February 22nd, 2008, 10:09 PM
First Mate

You can walk to the Queens staircase from the ship, it is about 1 to 1.5 miles, on a hill. Not a mountain. Once there you can visit the water tower the highest point in Nassau, and an old fort. You can then walk toward the pier in a different direction and visit Pirates of Nassau, its a museum about the pirates who once roamed the area. Many displays and a replica of a pirate ship all indoors and about 6 blocks from the piers. Queens staircase, fort are free. There is a charge for the pirates exhibit, I think it was around$ 8 to $10
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old February 23rd, 2008, 12:06 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by brneyes
paddletoe, oh thank you for that informtion. Now I know what you are referring to. I was in Nassau and at the Atlantis, several years ago, and heard they had an acquarium, but were not there long enough to see it. We will try to see it this time, as we should have more time.

brneyes
there aquarim is a-m-z-i-n-g you can't miss it!!!! try going there it's really fun!

"Cruises will create some of the best memories of your life"
Future Cruises-
Coral Princess
Past Cruises-
Carnival Liberty Spring Break 2008
Carnival Legend October 2007
Old February 23rd, 2008, 05:42 PM
Admiral

In St. Thomas: Magens Bay, Coki Beach, Sapphire Beach

In St. Maarten: We loved Orient Beach

In Antigua, we booked an excursion to Prickly Pear Island and had a great time snorkeling, swimming and enjoying the delicious rum punch. Someone found a large conch and the proprietors dug out the conch, sliced it up and served the raw conch to anyone who wanted a taste.
Old February 24th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Passenger

I am doing the Nassau/Antigua/St Thomas/Tortola itinerary and am pretty psyched about it.

Antigua - Eli's Eco Tour
St Thomas - Sapphire Beach (Air Force One Tours)
Tortola - Baths at Virgin Gorda (Smiths Ferry)
Nassau - Atlantis Aquaventure water park (with room rental at Comfort Suites).

I don't know which I'm looking to more. We will stay on the ship the evening in San Juan and go to Harry's Supper Club while the kids take a meal off with us and eat with Camp Carnival. I'm two months away and can't wait.
Old February 26th, 2008, 10:02 AM
First Mate

Each day it is getting us "closer" to our cruising time. I still have a few questions for whomever wishes to answer.

When you get to the top of the Queens Staircase, is it like a "lookout" area? Also, is the Water Tower at the "top" of/or same area of Queens Staircase, and is it a lookout area?

Yes, I am hoping to see the acquarium.

Someone mentioned Orient Beach. Yes, it is a nice one, but does have a NUDE area, if you want to go over that direction.

brneyes
Old February 26th, 2008, 10:48 AM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Chyna

antigua is by far my favorite port out of the three you mentioned. Antigua is just gorgeous!

I went with a tour with Lawrence of Antigua my first time (2005)and I highly recomend him! At the end of the tour, he took us to Turners beach and it wasn't crowded at all. I found him through posts here on cruise mates!

Last time in Antigua (2006) I went to the Jolly Beach resort for the day and loved it! The beach is awesome! I have heard great things about Eli's Eco tour as well.
Old February 27th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Passenger

in st.thomas i would suggest koki beach.... it is beautiful there. the water looks like pool water. i have been there many times and koki beach is the olace to go. 8)
carnival conquest- 2004
carnival pride- 2005
carnival valor- 2006
carnival conquest- 2006
carnival triumph- 2007
carnival victory- 2008
carnival triumph- 2009
=]
Old February 28th, 2008, 10:57 AM
First Mate

Thank you for the suggestion of the beaches, I definately want to check out Turner beach in Antigua. As for St. Thomas, I don't know if we will get to Koki beach, although saying the water is so clear, makes me want to visit it. We are going on a tour with sunnylistontours, and I don't know what beach we will be visiting there.

brneyes