Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 12th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Admiral

Default Celebration Retiring!

Alas, it appears to be true! I had read that the Celebration and Holiday were to be retired and sent to Spain as part of Carnival's Spanish cruise line. I checked the cruises for the Holiday and see that she is set until 2009 for US cruises. Now, when I looked at the Celebration's cruises, I see she is set until April of this year and no more. To me, that means she is leaving us as she is. I did a cruise on her before out of Galveston and she is my favorite ship. I can't afford to get on her now otherwise I would do a final cruise with her. I'll miss her.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Admiral

I too will miss "Celebration", as the very best cruise I ever had aboard Carnival was aboard "Celebration". The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and I have sailed "Celebration" a number of times, and even experienced a total power failure aboard her once. Nevertheless, a great old ship.

Ken
"SkyMaster"
Old February 12th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

I will tell her goodbye for you. We have had two great cruises on her and will sail again on April 14th - her farewell cruise. I like the newer ships, but there is just something about these older ships.

Ruby Princess (Inaugural) -
Celebrity Mercury (30th Anniversary) -
Old February 12th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I too will be sad to see her go. I sailed on this ship twice when she was new. I remember thinking how huge she was!! Back then compared to others she was!.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old February 12th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Celebration was our first cruise just last year and I have to say for an old ship it sure was a great time! We sailed during Superbowl Weekend and really enjoyed the trip. She really didn't seem all that aged and I'm surprised Celebration is out before Holiday.
05/14/2008 Carnival Spirit (Glacier Bay - Alaska)
11/12/2007 Carnival Freedom (US Inaugural - W Carib)
02/01/2007 Celebration (Bahamas)
Old February 12th, 2008, 11:37 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Celebration Retiring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
Alas, it appears to be true! I had read that the Celebration and Holiday were to be retired and sent to Spain as part of Carnival's Spanish cruise line. I checked the cruises for the Holiday and see that she is set until 2009 for US cruises. Now, when I looked at the Celebration's cruises, I see she is set until April of this year and no more. To me, that means she is leaving us as she is. I did a cruise on her before out of Galveston and she is my favorite ship. I can't afford to ge ton her now otherwise I would do a final cruise with her. I'll miss her.
Why not consider taking a cruise on her when she is in Spain? See the world.
05/03 Smokefree Paradise
08/04 Smokefree Paradise (8 days due to Francis)
01/07 Carnival Liberty
11/07 Carnival Freedom Transatlantic
05/08 Carnival Liberty
12/09 Carnival Pride
06/10 Carnival Glory
Old February 13th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Yeoman

My first 7 day cruise was on the Celebration when she was still in Tampa. It was a wonderful ship and I'll always remember the cruise.

My 2 children and their spouses, along with 3 other couples are sailing her mid-March on one of her last American-based cruises. We all had so much fun on the Legend family cruise last June, they decided to take a childless one this time. Sooo, that means MiMi (that's me) will be making another trip to NC to babysit......
Old February 13th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

The Celebration was my very first cruise back in 1990. I remember how amazed we were by every little thing onboard. Times cand tastes change here, so there is always something new to sail here. I hope the Spaniards enjoy this ship...I know we did.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 13th, 2008, 11:36 PM
First Mate

Can't say I like the Celebration too much. From the small deck and no atrium, it often felt like I was staying in a hotel.
RCCL Freedom : April 2012
CCL Destiny : April 2011
CCL Valor : September 2010
CCL Victory : March 2010
RCCL Adventure : September 2009
RCCL Monarch : March 2009
RCCL Mariner : September 2008
CCL Liberty : March 2008
CCL Valor : July 2007
CCL Celebration : March 2007
CCL Elation : March 2006
CCL Fantasy : October 2005
Old February 14th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Celebration Retiring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSFP
Quote:
Alas, it appears to be true! I had read that the Celebration and Holiday were to be retired and sent to Spain as part of Carnival's Spanish cruise line. I checked the cruises for the Holiday and see that she is set until 2009 for US cruises. Now, when I looked at the Celebration's cruises, I see she is set until April of this year and no more. To me, that means she is leaving us as she is. I did a cruise on her before out of Galveston and she is my favorite ship. I can't afford to ge ton her now otherwise I would do a final cruise with her. I'll miss her.
Why not consider taking a cruise on her when she is in Spain? See the world.
When she is in Spain, she won't be the Celebration anymore. I hope they leave the taxi on her. That was very nice.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 14th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Captain

mehwak do you know what ship will replace the celebration out of
galveston
Old February 14th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddletoe53
galveston
The Celebration has been sailing out of Jacksonville. This fall, the Fascination will replace her. I'm not sure which ship is currently sailing out of Galveston.

Ruby Princess (Inaugural) -
Celebrity Mercury (30th Anniversary) -
Old February 14th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharHite
Quote:
galveston
The Celebration has been sailing out of Jacksonville. This fall, the Fascination will replace her. I'm not sure which ship is currently sailing out of Galveston.
Galveston has the Ecstasy handling her 4/5 day cruises and the Conquest handling her 7 day cruises.

I am taking bets (in my head) to see if the Holiday lasts another year. I know they are trying to wait until the big Splendor switcheroo....but I think they are pushing it. Sounds like they should go ahead and send the Holiday to Spain and move the Celebration to Mobile to finish her contract.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old February 15th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
galveston
The Celebration had left Galveston about 7 years ago.

Old February 16th, 2008, 11:35 AM
First Mate

I never got to ride her. Now i'm sad! say goood bye to her for me.. ok!!! :]

"Cruises will create some of the best memories of your life"
Future Cruises-
Coral Princess
Past Cruises-
Carnival Liberty Spring Break 2008
Carnival Legend October 2007
Old February 16th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Admiral

As she leaves the home port to start the cruise, the sailing party music was "Celebration". Yes, I will miss her.

Old February 16th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Passenger

I've sailed the Celebration before and will be sad to see her leave as well. I live in Jacksonville and sometime drive down there just to see her in port and reminisce about my cruise on her. We will be getting another ship and are trying to get more sailing our of Jacksonville so hopefully we will. I'm not sailing on her again but will go wave goodbye to her in April for you all okay
Old February 17th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Admiral

Me standing in front of the Celebration in Cozumel, 2001

Old February 17th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

I have never sailed on the Celebration - but have on the Inspiration which I am sure basically the same. What do they do with the ships? Do they all go to Spain? Then what??????? I'd like to see a larger ship take the Holidays place.
Old February 17th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Captain

Had the opportunity to sail the Celebration once and the Holiday 4 or 5 times and had a good time, although I do prefer a Conquest class ship more. It has been rumored for a while that the Holiday is leaving Mobile but no one has been able to give us a direct answer as to when, or which ship will replace her.

There was a cruise show in Mobile yesterday, but I did not get to go, since DH is in hospital. My Daughter-in-law went and told me that a Carnival rep took the stage and made an announcement that the Fantasy would be coming to Mobile in a year. I am not sure if she heard "the Fantasy" or a "Fantasy-class ship" was coming in a year. I found nothing about this in the newspaper today though. I have personally felt that the Sensation would be brought to Mobile to replace the Holiday (eventually) but maybe it will be the Fantasy. I have to wonder, which ship would go to New Orleans if the Fantasy is moved to Mobile. Maybe the Sensation or a Conquest class again.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old February 18th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
As she leaves the home port to start the cruise, the sailing party music was "Celebration". Yes, I will miss her.
Did you happen to catch the pre-race show before the Daytona 500? Kool & The Gang sang "Celebration".........

........."There's a party goin' on right here
A celebration to last throughout the years
So bring your good times, and your laughter too
We gonna celebrate your party with you"......etc.
Old February 18th, 2008, 03:11 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inis46
Quote:
Did you happen to catch the pre-race show before the Daytona 500? Kool & The Gang sang "Celebration".........

Inis, that is it exactly. I can still hear that song and I am instantly transported back to the cruise in my mind. The celebration has, indeed, lasted through the years. Lots of very good friends on that cruise as I was with a large group (100+) of law enforcement officers.

Old February 18th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Inis, that is it exactly. I can still hear that song and I am instantly transported back to the cruise in my mind. The celebration has, indeed, lasted through the years. Lots of very good friends on that cruise as I was with a large group (100+) of law enforcement officers.
Oh wow, and what a fun cruise I'm sure that was! Having a son, son-in-law and an ex-husband being deputies, I know first hand what a good time can be had whenever they get a well-earned chance to relax and just be a plain 'ol citizen for a while.
Old February 18th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh wow, and what a fun cruise I'm sure that was! Having a son, son-in-law and an ex-husband being deputies, I know first hand what a good time can be had whenever they get a well-earned chance to relax and just be a plain 'ol citizen for a while.
And here I was hitting on you! Inis46......I better be on my best behavior from now on!

Captain
Old February 18th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Admiral

Yes, Inis, that is why that was my most favorite cruise ever

Old February 19th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to Dzamma1

She was my first cruise 6 years ago. I was addicted immediately. I too shall miss the old girl.
Old February 19th, 2008, 01:14 PM
First Mate

Quote:
The Celebration had left Galveston about 7 years ago.
Not hardly...we sailed a 5-day on her from Galveston in August of 2003...not too long after her refurbishment. Nice small ship.[/quote]
Old February 26th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Passenger

My wife and i sailed on her for our 10th anneversary last april and it was a great time. i have not been on a big ship yet but we had no complaints about the celebration. i still remember going under the bridge in jacksonville and thinking that if the smoke stacks were 5 feet taller they would hit the bridge.

Free Cruise Clocks
Big Red Boat 4-1994
Ecstasy 2-1999
Celebration 4-2007
Glory 5-2008
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Familiar Face

Mehawk, how did yall manage to get that many on a criuse at the same time? I have yet to get any of the GUYS I work with to get together and go. It would be such FUN!! I'm thinking of booking another one with my dh.

Old February 27th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Admiral

Oh my, I see one of my posts has been deleted. I wasn't rude, maybe forceful, but not rude. The person I aimed my response at still has his posting here and I thought it was smug just as mine was. What a moderator