Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 13th, 2008, 01:29 AM
Admiral

Default Carnival accused of slavery /human traffiking

http://tinyurl.com/29a24x
Old February 13th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

If this were her first contract with Carnival, I might be a little more understanding. But if she has worked for them since 2000, she has been on several contracts. I wonder how much of this lawsuit is for sensationalism. Like all news articles, we don't get the whole story.

By the way, doesn't a lot of the $1500 every two weeks come from tips?

Ruby Princess (Inaugural) -
Celebrity Mercury (30th Anniversary) -
Old February 13th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Shirley Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharHite
If this were her first contract with Carnival, I might be a little more understanding. But if she has worked for them since 2000, she has been on several contracts. I wonder how much of this lawsuit is for sensationalism. Like all news articles, we don't get the whole story.

By the way, doesn't a lot of the $1500 every two weeks come from tips?
This sounds a little much why wait and work for them for 7-8 years then file a suit oh come on she got ticked and decided she would see what she could do now if it was almost immediatly filed after going to work for them thats a different story but wait this many years Somthing smells rotton
Conquest 3/10
Ecstasy 6/11
Magic 11/11
Old February 13th, 2008, 09:48 AM
First Mate

Has she been a prisoner of Carnival for the past 7 years? Her story makes no sense at all!

Cathy

Free Cruise Clocks
Carnival Conquest - 12/4/2005
Old February 13th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Admiral

Yes-- no doubt she has been flogged, whipped and otherwise abused for the past 8 years and has just now been able to get the story out.

More than likely, she has had some type run-in with supervision and has decided to try to make an issue out of it--- of course money is the all healing balm that soothes all sores, etc.
Old February 13th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Yeoman

Hmmmmm, after working as a nurse, off and on since 1967, having many double shifts or 1/2 shifts beyond my scheduled 8 hour ones, missed 15 min.breaks/30 min. meal breaks, being called in on my days off, being on call several times a month...on my days off, working most Holidays, taking my vacations ONLY when it is "allowed" and "approved" by management and never being allowed to take more than one week at a time, etc....I wonder if this is also "Slavery and Forced Labor"?

(sorry I hijacked this thread...)
Old February 13th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inis46
Hmmmmm, after working as a nurse, off and on since 1967, having many double shifts or 1/2 shifts beyond my scheduled 8 hour ones, missed 15 min.breaks/30 min. meal breaks, being called in on my days off, being on call several times a month...on my days off, working most Holidays, taking my vacations ONLY when it is "allowed" and "approved" by management and never being allowed to take more than one week at a time, etc....I wonder if this is also "Slavery and Forced Labor"?

It was only Forced Labor if you worked Labor and Delivery!!

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old February 13th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

This sounds alittle fishy. Why wait for 7 years

Old February 13th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

The next article in the story.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbc...802130315/1003

According to this article, she couldn't get medical attention on Carnival Liberty. So why did she then take a contract on Glory?

Old February 13th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

From what I have read she is wanting a free ticket to stay in the USA I think thats what this is all about .Said she will stay in flordia with her daughter anything smell fishy to others .
Conquest 3/10
Ecstasy 6/11
Magic 11/11
Old February 13th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I'll hijack it too..

I worked for 7-11 convenience stores for almost 9 months. We were told to come in 20-30 minutes BEFORE out shift to do counts and we also had to stay AFTER our shift upwards of 30 minutes or more to do cashout paperwork, and if it was the 11-7 shift, you had more to do. We didn't get coffee breaks, nor did we get lunch breaks. We also were on call and if they needed you they expected to you come in. They would make us work split shifts or in some cases double split shifts with less than 7 hours off between shifts. I quit shortly after they made us sign a form staying we would be at their beck and call and were willing to do whatever they asked us to do--even if it meant coming in on our day off and not getting paid.

I only got paid $6.50/hour to do this job and didn't think it was worth staying any longer. We got a new manager who took an instant liking to me and one other girl and gave us crap shifts, so I said quickly drew up a letter and they got one weeks notice!!! I told her I wouldn't work any 11-7's and if she shifted me for any then I'd quit without notice!!!!! I was glad to leave, it wasn't a good company to work for because they didn't care about making a woman work the graveyard all alone....

Ads for the woman in the article, she's got a bee in her bonnet over something and trying to get them to give her more money...

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old February 14th, 2008, 02:04 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inis46

It was only Forced Labor if you worked Labor and Delivery!!
^5.....and I did for awhile......
Old February 14th, 2008, 05:59 AM
Captain

omg, this is so funny.

How dumb does she think the rest of the world really is? How many rooms does a cabin steward take per cruise?

I can see how she felt trapped. New ports every few days, no where to run (pahleez) No other friends on board to "help" her. Weeks at sea and carribean waters (oh the pain and agony) plus a paycheck.

I dunno, but she should be countersued. No one leaves a cruise line to rejoin if they were abused and held "captive"...

Does anyone here wish Carnival would come kidnap you and hold you hostage?
Old February 14th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Captain

i'm not working right now i'll take the job warm weather diffrent ports of call cleaning cabins how hard is that i have to clean my house thats easy
Old February 14th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Admiral

Unfortunately, some groups that we have empowered will take this case and run with it. Yes, it is ill gotten and will be dismissed but she got her message out. I would think that if she was unhappy for 7 years, she would have refused to work. By the way, that $1500.00 every two weeks is $3000.00 each month. That is more than I courrently make.

She has learnt how to be a crook and is setting her plan in place.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 14th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
Unfortunately, some groups that we have empowered will take this case and run with it. Yes, it is ill gotten and will be dismissed but she got her message out. I would think that if she was unhappy for 7 years, she would have refused to work. By the way, that $1500.00 every two weeks is $3000.00 each month. That is more than I courrently make.

She has learnt how to be a crook and is setting her plan in place.
If she had a problem of the type described it should have been settled long ago. 2000 not 2008
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old February 14th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Admiral

Let me have her job.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 14th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

And here is the kicker on top of it!

If she makes $1,500 bi-weekly, let's assume a good portion of that is tips.

Therefore, she pays no taxes on it, right? It's not an American company and therefore has different taxes or something?

So if she does pay taxes, let's knock it to $1,000 per two weeks. That's $500 per week. Or roughly $100 per day if she works 5 days a week with 2 days off. That's guessing on my part, you can play with the work figures. That's alot of $$ after taxes per day.

Do they pay any taxes on this? I've never read anything, but I'm assuming there's some sort of taxes taken out?

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Old February 18th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbc...=2008802160331

Well, if she was allowed to leave the ship and given an airline ticket home, she must not be held in slavery. Since I imagine most of the pay a cabin steward gets is from tips, she must not have been happy that she wouldn't get tips for those first two weeks. I'll bet there are several people more than happy to take her place on the ship. I just hope she doesn't waste US tax dollars pursuing this in the legal system.

Old February 18th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Admiral

It seems to me that she is looking for a ticket to stay in the USA. Her daughter is in Florida. She has a tourist visa. If she can stir the pot of sympathy her way, she can petition the INS to give her "asylum" of some sort and grant her a green card.

Also, one sticky point is that she wants to go to Florida. She is from South Africa. I am pretty sure that Homeland Security does not allow the cruiselines to just drop their employees off on US soil just b/c the employee wants to visit. No, Carnival can't let her just quite and walk off the ship in Florida. Carnival probably has to send her back to South Africa and then she has to find her own way to the US.

She may be looking for a cheap way to get to Florida.

Unfortunately, she has been out to sea too long and doesn't realize that Americans are not nearly as naive as we come across. Most schemes like this do not work. The law firm have nothing to lose. Going up against Carnival puts their name in the paper. Free advertisement.

My guess is that by the time it is all said and done, she will be sent packing back to her home country.

I hope this woman never plans to work on another cruise ship because she is now and forever blacklisted.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old February 18th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

There's an element of truth in her story I think.

There is definitely a "class system" on board cruise ships. Waiters, stewards also known as "the help" don't get the same freedoms that dancers, entertainers or other staff get. They can't come on the Lido for meals whereas entertainment staff can, they can't use the main walkways and other staff can. Also, they have to pay for their own tickets to GET to the ship from their home countries where other staff get it paid for them.

Why else do you think the ships are registered in Nassau? So they don't have to keep up with US standards of employment.

Now to play devils advocate: if they were in some of those home countries, they'd be lucky to make $1000 a year. Seems to me this woman saw how she was being treated as a second class citizen and got sick of it.
Old February 18th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deakon

There is definitely a "class system" on board cruise ships. Waiters, stewards also known as "the help" don't get the same freedoms that dancers, entertainers or other staff get. They can't come on the Lido for meals whereas entertainment staff can, they can't use the main walkways and other staff can. Also, they have to pay for their own tickets to GET to the ship from their home countries where other staff get it paid for them.

Why else do you think the ships are registered in Nassau? So they don't have to keep up with US standards of employment.

Now to play devils advocate: if they were in some of those home countries, they'd be lucky to make $1000 a year. Seems to me this woman saw how she was being treated as a second class citizen and got sick of it.
I think she wants to end up in Florida with her daughter and got herself a florida lawyer to file a lawsuit in florida.

Of the 1,000 or so crewmembers on these ships less than 200 of them are allowed on passenger decks. She has plenty of company and in the 8 years she has worked for Carnival, she is well aware that she cannot just quit her job and be dropped of at any port of her choice.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

But it took nearly 8 years ! come on !! no one would take that long to get feed up with a job if being treated badly something is stinky about the story
Conquest 3/10
Ecstasy 6/11
Magic 11/11
Old February 18th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deakon

Well, i dont know about the other staff getting to eat in the lido deck (tho i dont think thats much of a good thing lol) but i would think they WOULDNT eat where the guests were for the simple reason it would cause to much congestion, esp main eating times.

Its no different then the rest of the world i promise. As a registered nurse i get more perks then the nurses aids, but less than the Dr's. Pay is just one of them. The higher up on the ladder the job is the more perks to be had, its just a matter of life.

On the "getting paid to come to work" its all about recruitment. I'm sure there are a lot of people wanting these jobs so the cruise line has no incentive to pay for travel expenses for "the workers". Where as the ships nurses, Dr's, officers, show persons etc, probably are recruited and do get that incentive. Thats what supply and demand does for you.

I could probably get 10,000-20,000 in relocation expenses and sign on bonuses to go to a hospital with a bad nursing shortage, but people are banging down doors to work at Childrens hospitals so most dont offer big incentives. again, would i rather work with older folks in a poorly populated area or stay in the big city with my babies?

I dont buy the argument. Its not like the people do not know whats in store for them when they start. And if they didnt like it, they could easily quit when the contract ends.