Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 16th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Admiral

Default Have you ever had to use the ship's infirmary?

If so, what is Carnival's policy re: dispensing meds, fees, over the counter meds, etc?

I just got back from a b2b on two RCCL ships. As is my luck, I came down with the flu on the second ship. I am very much appalled by RCCL's procedures in dealing with a sick passenger and before I blacken their name, I just want to see how Carnival handles medical issues concerning their passengers.

What are the fees for visiting the infirmary and it is across the board or depending upon your affliction?

Thanks for the info.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Admiral

Hey there.... sorry to hear you got the flu. It is really going around.

One lady on our Imagination cruise (the second part of the B2B) had a bad case of the flu (heavy cough, fever, sore throat) and then got her feelings hurt then I would not shake her hand after she had been coughing into it for 30 minutes at karaoke. (to bad) I am allergic to all cold medicines (over the counter and prescription) so no way was I taking that kind of a chance.

Back to the question at hand. I do seeing the hours and fees were listed on the Infirmary door as we got off at one port. But I did not "take note". IF (and this is a big if) you see a nurse...I think it was 35 or 40. If you see the doctor, I think it was 60.

We used the doctor one time..but it was 10 years ago on our very first family cruise. We were on the Celebration and our youngest son came down with fever of 103. He was 5 years old. So I took him to the doctor to make sure it wasn't an ear infection. His ears were clear. The Charge was $40.00. Seems it was just a case of overdoing it at the Tampa port and after a good nights sleep and a little Tylenol...he was fine the next morning. The doctor was very nice. Answered all my questions. But I would imagine it would depend on which doctor you got. Just like any other occupation....they are not all going to be good.

Hope you feel better soon!

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old February 16th, 2008, 09:57 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Have you ever had to use the ship's infirmary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
If so, what is Carnival's policy re: dispensing meds, fees, over the counter meds, etc?

I just got back from a b2b on two RCCL ships. As is my luck, I came down with the flu on the second ship. I am very much appalled by RCCL's procedures in dealing with a sick passenger and before I blacken their name, I just want to see how Carnival handles medical issues concerning their passengers.

What are the fees for visiting the infirmary and it is across the board or depending upon your affliction?

Thanks for the info.
I threw my back out on the Miracle cruise and had to go see the Dr. for pain meds (I couldn't even stand up). It was $60 for the office visit and $1 a pill. The only mistake I made was when he asked me if I wanted 10 or 20 pills, I said 10, thinking it would probably start feeling better soon. Well, I ran out of pills and was told they couldn't just give me 10 more I'd have to pay to see the Dr again.... I decided to just tough it out. I also had to use a cane and they just put a deposit on my S & S card until we brought the cane back.

I did buy insurance for the trip and they reinbursed me for $35 (there's a $50 deductible)
5/'06 Celebrity Zenith
6/'06 Carnival Legend
9/25/06 Carnival Legend
10/29/06 11 nite NCL Spirit
2/4/2007 Carnival Legend
May 14-25th, Carnival Fascination...3 B2B's
9/24/07 Carnival Miracle
11/7/07 Carnival Miracle
1/14/08 Fascination
1/18/08 Carnival Miracle (Platinum on this one!)
2/25/08 Fascination
4/21 & 4/26/08 B2B on the Imagination
Future cruises:
9/7/08 Legend
11/16/08 Legend
1/26 & 1/31 Destiny B2B
Old February 16th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Admiral

Default My Experience on RCCL Majesty

I started coughing on Tuesday evening (2nd day of cruise). By Wednesday morning, I was really coughing up a storm and I had a killer headache. I had used up all of my Tylenol. I first went to Guest Relations and asked if they had any aspirin. (Side note: On Carnival ships, the Purser's Desk have aspirin that they just hand out freely). On the Majesty, I was told that the Guest Relations desk did not have aspirin but I could go down to Deck 1 and purchase some out of a vending machine. I told the man working the Guest Relations desk that "Carnival gives these away for free." He said, "Oh well, this is not Carnival."

I went down to Deck 1 and the vending machine sold those little packs of two tylenol (generic) for 50 cents each. I thought that was rather tacky because I am sure the cruiseline pays less than 1 penny for each of these packs and to sell them for 50 cents was a heck of a profit. O.K. So I purchase two packs.

I go back up to the general store to purchase some otc meds. The only thing they had was Vicks Formula 44 for $9.99. A small bottle of tylenol (24 tablets) was $8.99.

The Vicks Formula 44 did nothing. At this point, I still thought I just had a bad cold. I went down to the infirmary. As soon as I stepped into the infirmary the crewmember behind the counter came running around the counter as thought to stop me from entering the infirmary. I told him that I wanted to know if they had any other type of otc meds beside the Formula 44 because it wasn't working. He told me that the only way the doctor could recommend any other meds to me is if he examined me first and there would be a charge of $108 for the examination. I told him that I didn't need to see the doctor, that a nurse could recommend something to me because I know what I have and it is a cold. He told me no. Either I let the doctor examine me for $108 or they were not able to help me. I was so shocked at his attitude that I turned around and left.

Now I have health insurance and I had purchased a vacation insurance plan. I was using a credit card with over $10K of available credit so it was not the money. It was just that I found it horribly tacky of RCCL to build such massive profit into the misfortune of their passengers. I was willing to pay whatever I needed to pay if they had something stronger than the cough meds that I had already purchased but something told me that even after I paid the $108, I would have been told that they did not have any else to offer me and I would have just been out of $108.

I suffered through Wednesday. I don't know if I have ever been that sick before. It was horrible. I actually blacked out in my cabin and fell off of my bed, hitting my head on the wall (the cabins are tiny). When I got to Key West on Thursday, I went straight to a CVS drugstore and purchased some otc meds and immediately felt some degree of relief. I was still very sick but at least my head was not exploding and my aches and pains were diminished.

Throughout my b2b cruises on RCCL, I saw many, many examples of ways that RCCL nickels and dimes for amenities that Carnival just gives away freely.

Also, considering how worried RCCL is about communicable illness spreading throughout the ship, the clerk in the infirmary should have insisted that I come into the infirmary (I never got past the doorway) so that he could at least take a workup of my symptoms. He never asked any questions even though I was obviously very very ill. He had no idea what symptoms I was experiencing. He was only concerned with being able to charge my sail and sign account the $108.

I plan to write a letter to RCCL regarding this.

I am done with Royal Caribbean. That degree of nickel and diming is ridiculous.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old February 16th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Captain

I've had 3 experiences with the infirmary out of our 12 Carnival cruises. Our first one was when our teenage daughter got stung by a jellyfish in Grand Cayman. We took her to the infirmary because she is allergic to bees and wanted to make sure she wouldn't need any special care from the sting. The nurse gave her some Benadryl and didn't charge us anytthing. The next time, I fell backwards off of a 3 foot wall while trying to get the perfect picture of the ship in St Thomas! I went to the infirmary to ask for an ace wrap for my wrist. They ask if i wanted to see the Dr but I said no. They gave me the wrap and suggested i have the room steward bring me some ice and to ice it on and off for a few days. (turned out I broke it and had to have it casted when I got home). The third time was on the victory in april when my 6 year old grandson got some sand in his eye in Costa Maya. We had rinsed it out but he still complained nad it was really puffy the next morning. we took him to the infirmary and saw the doctor. He number his eye and cleaned and examined it. He gave him an antibotic eye drop and the charged us $150. All in all I felt the charge wasn't out of line. An emergency room visit would have been a lot more had it happened at home on a weekend when his doctors office would have been closed.

AKcruiser
Old February 17th, 2008, 12:08 AM
Captain

I've also heard you can see the nurse for minor things, and believe me i worked in Dr's offices a long time and for most things we know what the Dr would do or not do.

For things like the eye wash, the dye strip and blacklight to look for corneal scratches...as well as antibiotics, 150.00 is LESS than my health insurances copay for ER visit lol
Old February 17th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Admiral

$150 to care for an injury is not bad or if you are suffering from an ailment of some unknown cause it is worth it.

On my last Carnival cruise, one of my group had to go to the infirmary because he came down with a mysterious rash on his stomach and chest. He never mentioned what the office visit fee was but he paid $13 for a bottle of vinegar. That is high for vinegar but it solved his problem so that was a good trade off.

In my case, however, all I wanted to know was whether or not they had any other types of cold remedies in the infirmary. The answer would have been a simple yes or no. The clerk wouldn't answer me until I was willing to fork over $108 to be examined. I know in many establishments, the stronger stuff is kept behind "the counter" to keep the young people from getting their hands on it. Also, behind his counter were several large bins full of the little packets of various types of aspirin, tylenol products. He had thousands of these packs. I asked the clerk if I could have some aspirin and he told me "No, use the vending machine in the hall."

I am now two days off of my b2b RCCL cruise and as I reflect on my experience, I am disappointed in RCCL. Their ships are very pretty but their passenger care and service leaves a lot to be desired. When I asked anything of a crewmember, I generally got a smart, snide response.

By the second cruise, I felt as though the crew didn't want to deal with or be bothered by the passengers. I ran into a few other Carnival Devotees on these ships and they too made similar observations. One woman said she felt like an uninvited guest in someone's home. Tolerated but just barely.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old February 17th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Admiral

A few cruises back, Sandy had seasickness and we went to the Doc for that. She was given some pills and that was it.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 17th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Admiral

Thankfully, we have only had the one illness in all our years of cruising.

But since I have a Special Needs child, I look like a floating pharmacy.
Our tablemates on one of our cruises years ago came down with Noro and they did not have a thing. It was the night before we docked, so the ship store was closed. She remembered we had a Special Needs son and thought "I bet she has everything and then some"...and she was right.

Now of course you can't "cure" Noro, but I had the supplies to make it more bearable.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old February 17th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Captain

I usually carry enough "just in case" OTC meds for almost anything, but have had to get benedryl from the clinic and they charged me less than $10.

This past October, I was very sick on our cruise and don't want to go into the details of my illness, but I thought the charges on Carnival were very good. They took me to and from the infirmary twice in a wheelchair, did an exam, gave me meds, inserted a urinary catheter (overnight) and followed up the next morning. Total charge: $85. Well worth it to me.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old February 17th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I also look like a walking medicine cabinet.

We have never had to use the Infirmary.

As far as the differences in ships care. Were there other things about the other ship, that you liked more? You are not always going to be sick, hopefully.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old February 18th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothin but blue skies
I usually carry enough "just in case" OTC meds for almost anything, but have had to get benedryl from the clinic and they charged me less than $10.

This past October, I was very sick on our cruise and don't want to go into the details of my illness, but I thought the charges on Carnival were very good. They took me to and from the infirmary twice in a wheelchair, did an exam, gave me meds, inserted a urinary catheter (overnight) and followed up the next morning. Total charge: $85. Well worth it to me.
Yes, it certainly was a fair bill. You would be charged more than $85 for the catheter alone here on land!
Old February 18th, 2008, 12:49 AM
Passenger

I visited the infirmary on my first sea day 2 years ago on the carnival legend. We left out of new york and experienced some hurricane weather that was unbeleivable. The first night it wasnt too bad until we all went to bed, Having a few drinks didnt help too. The whole night I debated jumping off the balcony but figured the waves would just make me feel worse lol.. No joke winds were above 70mph and seas were from 15-20 feet and higher at times. I made it through the night and went down the infirmary about 11am saw the nurse, got a seasickness shot and was given meds. The visit to the nurse was very reasonable, my insurance covered it i think it was only around 40$. I work in a hospital with hundreds of nurses and the nurse on the legend was extremley professional. I felt better later that night and was allright the rest of the cruise even though the weather never really got much better we had an amazing time. Being experienced in healthcare I was very impressed with the infirmary and it definitly is a good feeling knowing that god forbid in a worst case scenario situation there will be professional help available on board
Old February 18th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo
I also look like a walking medicine cabinet.

We have never had to use the Infirmary.

As far as the differences in ships care. Were there other things about the other ship, that you liked more? You are not always going to be sick, hopefully.
All of the examples given here sound very reasonable. Much more reasonable than being asked to fork over $108 before anyone will even talk to me. I could very well have ended up paying $150 for a bottle of Nyquil. And, depending upon how my receipt is written up, my insurance may or may not have paid. However, in my foggy mind at the time, I didn't even think about the insurance company. All I knew was that I was pretty ill and no one was in the least bit interested until I forked over $108. If he had told me it would have been $20, 30, 40 or maybe $50 in order for the nurse to "prescribe" something for me, I would have considered it.

As for the difference in RCCL and Carnival, there were some things that RCCL did better. Their buffet is laid out better so that there were never any lines. Their wait staff in the buffet were on hand to bring you beverages, napkins, dessert, etc. Their pools are larger. They "no babies in the hot tub" was strictly enforced. Their hot tubs were 24 hours.

However, the main purpose of this cruise was for me to see if I was missing anything by not considering RCCL when I am looking at future cruises. The short answer for me is No.

The one thing I found odd was that on these two RCCL cruises, you never forget that you are on a mass market, entry level cruise. I never feel that way on Carnival.

I enjoyed myself as I do on all of my vacations. However, I was greatly disappointed that the service on the RCCL ships was not more customer friendly.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old February 18th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Just do what I did: marry a nurse!

I actually bring a bunch of meds just in case. I always have a flu med, gravol, pepto, benadryl etc..

Better safe than sorry!
Old February 18th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Passenger

Have never been sick on cruise(knock on wood). I have so many OTC with me, my friends always make fun of me until they NEED something. I did fall(my fault) on one cruise & hurt wrist , bought wrist wrap in Cayman Islands(what a souvenier). Got home & back to work and 10 days after fall found out wrist was broken. Oh well, I still enjoyed cruise even if all my pictures of me show a wrist wrapped

Ecstasy 1997
Imagination 2001
Holiday 2004
Old February 19th, 2008, 08:50 AM
First Mate

We used the infirmary. I had sun posioning and bought caladryl
and it was like 8.00 and it was the clear kind. thought the price
was pretty good for in the middle of the ocean.. lol
My one friend fell and we stopped there for a ice bag and they
did not have any. Good thing I brought baggys.. We used those.
they of course did not charge us anything we did not see a doctor
just the lady at the window.
I take all kinds of things with me just in case. I bought two small
first aid kits that I carry with me at all times. They are cheap and
I just keep new ones on hand at all times.
I take stuff like advil, bandaids, tape, gauze, benadryl, you just
never know when you might need something.
Last year was on the ship a hour and two bee's got me so off to the
room for the benadryl. lol My hand was so swollen before I even
got to my room but I lived.
Not sure how they come up with prices when you see a doctor.
And hope I never have too..

Sammy 1954
Liberty April 26th, 2008 67 more days