Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 16th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Admiral

Default Does Carnival Compensate Passengers

when a port of call is cancelled?

For instances, $25 OBC or something like that?

On RCCL Majesty, the stop to Coco Cay was cancelled b/c the waves were to high and rough to operate the tenders safely so instead it was turned into a sea day with no compensation.

How does Carnival handle something like this?

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

IB, you seem to have had a run of bad luck on your last adventure!!!

Captain
Old February 16th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainEdwardJohnSmith
IB, you seem to have had a run of bad luck on your last adventure!!!

Captain
No, the first half of trip was fine. It is just that from my observation RCCL does not measure up to Carnival. I was unpleasantly surprised that RCCL is not nearly as warm and fuzzy to their passengers as Carnival.

The flu-thingy I got was just one of those things.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old February 16th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Only once have we missed a port on Carnival and they did give some sort of on-board credit in addition to a refund of the port fees for that port. But I can't remember how much it was. I remember feeling disappointed on Grandeur of the Seas when they not only didn't compensate us for missing a port, but they also didn't refund any port fees. All we got was a refund for our shore excursion.

Ruby Princess (Inaugural) -
Celebrity Mercury (30th Anniversary) -
Old February 16th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman
Default Re: Does Carnival Compensate Passengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
when a port of call is cancelled?

For instances, $25 OBC or something like that?

On RCCL Majesty, the stop to Coco Cay was cancelled b/c the waves were to high and rough to operate the tenders safely so instead it was turned into a sea day with no compensation.

How does Carnival handle something like this?
If RCCL did something that caused you to miss the port you have a point. Since it was weather that caused you to miss the port, how is that RCCL's fault? I wouldn't expect any compensation especially since they were looking out for my safety. IMHO.

I've seen CCL handle it different ways depending on the circumstance. Sometimes yes sometimes no on compensation.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old February 16th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharHite
Only once have we missed a port on Carnival and they did give some sort of on-board credit in addition to a refund of the port fees for that port. But I can't remember how much it was. I remember feeling disappointed on Grandeur of the Seas when they not only didn't compensate us for missing a port, but they also didn't refund any port fees. All we got was a refund for our shore excursion.
I didn't think about the port fees. I am going to call RCCL right now and see what they say. They are much tighter with a $ than Carnival.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old February 16th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Admiral

Just spoke to RCCL. They do not refund port charges under these circumstances. I asked why. He said because RCCL has the right to change itinerary. I then asked him why would they keep the port charges if they never make it into port. The man explained that they have to pay the port charges anyway. I then said that "Carnival refunds the port charges." He said, "Well, we are not Carnival."

I think RCCL operates with a much smaller window of profitability so they are not able to do a lot of what Carnival can do and still remain profitable.

I am wondering. . . . Besides NCL, what is the next independent cruiseline?

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old February 16th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Quote:
I didn't think about the port fees. I am going to call RCCL right now and see what they say. They are much tighter with a $ than Carnival.
pretty sure there are no port fees since it's their own privately owned port.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old February 16th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman
Quote:
Quote:
pretty sure there are no port fees since it's their own privately owned port.
I know. I conceded that point when I was speaking to RCCL on the phone. The rest of the conversation was asked just "for future reference".

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes