Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 17th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Grand Cayman and Ochio Rios excursions

Can anyone tell me if they have done either of these excursions and give us some details about it ? Was it worth the money ? Was it fun for a whole family ranging from 14-40? We are doing the The Dunn's River Falls & River Tubing Adventure in Ocho Rios through Island adventures. The cost is $60.00 US . We are also doing the Buccaneer Stingray City Catamaran Excursion from the same company For $ 39.00 US. Let us know anything you have on these excursions.

Read and post cruise reviews

Carnival Freedom May 2010
Carnival Liberty January 2009
Carnival Freedom April 2008
Carnival Glory April 2007
Carnival Miracle March 2006
Carnival Glory April 2005
Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Admiral

Duns River Falls - remember to guard your valuables (wallet, money, credit cards, etc) with a waterproof pocket insert or beach case. Also have water shoes for your feet. You climb the rock ledgesin a single file line in the falls. It is a unique experience. Have a waterproof camera to save the moment.
River tubing is also an experience. You go up a mountain and start out tubing the river down the mountain. Watch your elbows and knees. They usually have a red stripe (or other beverage) break about halfway down. They take pictures at strategic places that you can purchase. Both are well worth it.
StingRay City - I went with Capt Marvin but most tour operators cover the same ground. This experience is also singular. You can feed and hold the Rays as they know the drill, and they also will take photos for a price.
All of these are must dos once in your life. Enjoy !
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old February 19th, 2008, 01:33 PM
First Mate

I've done all of these (generally with the cruise line rather than independent) and had a blast on them all.

For Dunns River Falls, you'll need water shoes, sport sandals, or decent tennis shoes you don't mind getting wet. The only way out at the top (to the busses) takes you thru a marketplace where they really try hard to sell you stuff (legal and otherwise). Make sure you eat a Jamaican Meat Pie and have a Red Stripe.

Our daughters loved the White River tubing trip, although the young one (7 or 8 years old then) was scared to start with, but she got better.

Same way with the stingrays - she was scared at the beginning but quickly started having a great time.
Old February 19th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

We did a independant tour on Grand Cayman. There are buses waiting around and they will take you on sightseeing tours. We paid $20 each for a two hour tour. Sadly, we didn't get to spend much time at the turtle farm, but it was a really busy place when we got there! We had a total of 20 minutes and then spent a few in the gift shop power shopping (and I can power shop!!!).

Next cruise I take to Grand Cayman (Next January) I will book the Boatswain Beach tour and have three+ hours to just wander about and enjoy myself!!!!!

Ocho Rios-Dunns River falls are fun to climb, but the vendors are worse than vultures on a dead carcass, they want your money and will grab at you and not let you go until they had their way with you....Me No Wan is a good phrase to say to let them know you don't want to buy anything!!!

ENjoy Grand Cayman and Ocho!!!! I love both ports!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old February 19th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Beginner

Default Ocho Rios/Grand Cayman

Any good booze cruises in those ports?
Old February 19th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Passenger

I have climbled Dunns River falls. Very fun. Even did it with a broken wrist . Expect to get WET Water shoes, underwater camera, waterproof bag or ziplocks for personal items are a must have . Glad to hear I am not the only one that had a problem with merchants in marketplace . DH was in Vietnam & even he was uncomfortable.

Stingray City is totally AWESOME . I almost missed it because I can't swim, but DH & friends swam me to shallow. God love 'em .

Enjoy yourself

Ecstasy 1997
Imagination 2001
Hoilday 2004
Old February 20th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Captain

Both ports are awsome BUT I will not get off the boat in Jamaica again Those vendors drove me crazy following me all the way back to the ship practically
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old February 20th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Passenger

We are going to Ocho Rios in May - planning the Dunn's Falls and Bamboo Beach club - can't wait! Thanks for the tip about the vendors. I experienced this in Nassau in the straw market - very annoying. I did have a friend who got some really cool deals in jamaica, though.

As for Grand Cayman - we have been there twice and both times went on the same excursion to the Turtle Farm, which is really cool - you get to hold the turtles - Hell - be sure to have addresses ready to send people postcards from Hell (one of them says - I'm in Hell, wish you were her!) - and the best part was Stingray City! It is very cool in the water with the stingrays - be sure to take an underwater camera (the boat owners that take you to the stingray area do take photos, but charge you a fortune for them.).

You can check out our photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/StampingFunn/LetnerCruise07
Have Fun!

[/url]

Sept. 2006 - Inspiration
May 2007 - Inspiration - with family - check out our photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/StampingFunn/LetnerCruise07
Next one - May 4, 2008 - Carnival Victory - with family!