Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Passenger

Default Are the serving sizes to small in the Carnival Restaurants?

The typical serving size in land based restaurants is getting bigger and bigger as Americans grow larger and more overweight every year. I think the typical person does not understand what a good sized meal is any more and will huge servings without much of a thought.

I was not surprised when my table-mates at the fancy sit down restaurant was so upset with the serving size when they sat down to eat. They are used to large servings at TGIF or Ruby Tuesday. Many people got frustrated and asked for two entrees. The waiter seemed angry as the 250 pound women asked for more food.

What is your opinion on the serving sizes at the Carnival Cruiseline sit down restaurants?
Old February 19th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

serving size too small? you can always ask for seconds!

Captain
Old February 19th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Admiral

I would much rather have smaller serving sizes and have the option to order a second entree if I wanted one...as Carnival does now.

Since I only eat beef, there are times in the past when the serving size was WAY to big. On the Imagination this month, they were smaller and I liked that. I could actually finish it for a change. I hate to see waste.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old February 19th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
I was not surprised when my table-mates at the fancy sit down restaurant was so upset with the serving size when they sat down to eat
The 32 oz steak wasn't big enough??

If people are going to post gripes, at least make an attempt at accuracy!
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 19th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Admiral

I love the fact that the serving sizes are smaller; this way I can try new things and if I don't like the particular item I am not wasting a whole lot of food.

besides I mean after all you can eat all day who needs to gorge at dinnner; gotta leave room for the deserts and after dinner drinks &
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old February 19th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Passenger

If they were any bigger, I might be not order 2 entrees just because I can't decide what I want . Besides I have to leave room for Midnight buffet(if available) & the nightly pizza & ice cream . Then I hit the stairs.

Ecstasy 1997
Imagination 2001
Holiday 2004
Old February 20th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainEdwardJohnSmith
serving size too small? you can always ask for seconds!

Captain
Yes, you can always ask for seconds.

I always ask for seconds... even thirds on Baked Alaska night. YUMM

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 20th, 2008, 07:15 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete

They have certainly gotten smaller over the years, as well as the amount of courses, but most times, I order two appetizers, a salad, or even two entrees. I like that they offer you the pasta dish as an entree as well.

I've never left hungry.
Past Cruises: Explorer of the Seas 2008 Explorer of the Seas 2007 Carnival Victory 2007 Explorer of the Seas 2006 Legend 2005 Miracle 2004 Disney Wonder 2004; Pride 2003 Legend 2002 Disney Wonder 2002 Destiny 2001 Victory 2000 Triumph 1999 Jubilee 1998 Imagination 1997 Imagination 1996 Fascination 1995 Ecstasy 1993 Fantasy 1990 Jubilee 1990 NCL Seaward 1989 Jubilee 1988
Old February 20th, 2008, 08:05 AM
First Mate

I think serving sizes are just perfect. That way you dont over eat
unless you want to order something else.
My hubby is a very skinny person that can eat a ton of food so he
will order a second meal or finish mine.
Not sure where he puts all the food he eats but he sure can put it
away.
There are so many different foods to try that the small portions
are the best. Like someone else said that way if you dont like
something you are not wasting alot of food just a small portion.
Dont like to eat alot of the same thing anyway.

65 days to wait and get out of this cold weather.
Spring is on the way I hope

Liberty April 26th, 2008

Sammy1954
Old February 20th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

No, the serving sizes are fine.....some nights I had to FORCE the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake down!

Honestly, you can eat 24/7 on the ship AND you don't have to do the shopping, cooking OR cleaning.........why would anyone complain about that???

Melody
Old February 20th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

Considering that I come away 'stuffed' from the dining room every night, the portions are not too small for me. And you can always ask for a large portion when you order and they will put extra on your plate.

Ruby Princess (Inaugural) -
Celebrity Mercury (30th Anniversary) -
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:17 AM
First Mate

I always think there is just enough food for dinner. It's against my nature to waste food and I am always surprised at how much food is thrown out during these cruises. It must dismay crew members who come from impoverished countries.
Its rather negative to complain about everything.
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

We just returned from the Carnival Liberty (Feb 10-16 voyage) and the first thing I noticed at the buffet beverage station was the size of the drinking glasses. They held a smaller quantity (8 oz) than the larger (12 oz?) size of our last Carnival cruise on the Pride (Feb 2003). I found this to be a positive change.

I, too, hate waste. I think the smaller drinking glasses would benefit all of us. Less waste of even juice/iced tea/lemonade/water would help to keep the future cruise prices down. You can always go back for a refill.

On the portion side, I didn't notice that the meals were smaller portions. In fact, having the 8pm dining time, I found the amounts perfect. Some nights Pheelgood and I would think, "Why did we order an additional meal to share? We're full now." But we ate it anyway, of course.

They never ran out of appetizers during the captain's cocktail party. The waiters were more than happy to give you extra -- Chicken won-ton things! We are a bunch of these before heading to the 8pm dinner!

Delicious Dining Room Items:
escargot
Caesar Salad (Pheelgood junior ate it every night and at the 24-hr pizza)
shrimp cocktail (pheelgood junior ate it every night)
veal dish on the 5th or 6th night -- yumm!!!
prime rib
Teriyaki Beef Ribs (OMG! Boneless, fork tender, fabulous!)
Lobster Tail (first one was tougher, second melted in your mouth)
penne pasta (one of us had it as an appetizer, too)
melting chocolate cake (did not disappoint!)
Creme brulee (1st night of cruise) -- best I've ever tasted

Everything from the Deli was superb!
Loved the Fish 'n' Chips!

HappyJan
Blog2NOLA
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Passenger

I couldn't get an appetizer or a drink on Miracle on past guest or Captain's Party nights! The showroom was packed both nights.

I seldom got dessert because I'd had plenty of food from appetizer to salad to entre. Love those escargot!
Old February 20th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Captain

Default Re: Are the serving sizes to small in the Carnival Restauran

Quote:
Originally Posted by conversationist
The typical serving size in land based restaurants is getting bigger and bigger as Americans grow larger and more overweight every year. I think the typical person does not understand what a good sized meal is any more and will huge servings without much of a thought.

I was not surprised when my table-mates at the fancy sit down restaurant was so upset with the serving size when they sat down to eat. They are used to large servings at TGIF or Ruby Tuesday. Many people got frustrated and asked for two entrees. The waiter seemed angry as the 250 pound women asked for more food.

What is your opinion on the serving sizes at the Carnival Cruiseline sit down restaurants?
The problem isnt that Carnival potions arent too small its that other restaurants potions are too big !!! My Finance' and I often split entrees at restaurants to avoid wasting food and money.
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old February 20th, 2008, 01:34 PM
First Mate

You want alot to eat most of the new ships have a 24oz steak you can get to take care of you. I keep looking at it but I know I can't eat it all. I see lots of people get 2nds if they want and never has any waiter had a problem with it. They always tell us to try something new on the side. Don't understand this post. You can eat all day and night if you want to.
Old February 20th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Admiral

It is not just Carnival. Most of the cruise lines have small portions. If there are two appetizers that I cannot decide upon, I'll order both.

The main course portions seem about right to me.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Ok, Now I am craving the Warm Melting Cake! 8) I liked the size of the portions. On our last night I had to have the Warm Melting Cake (which I had every night) AND the Baked Alaska Then our table mates had one of the cakes to celebrate their anniversary and I even had a small slice of it

Old February 21st, 2008, 06:03 AM
First Mate

I've never thought the portions were small. I usually order an appetizer, salad, soup entree and dessert. In fact, I don't even finish my entree because I would be too full.

My first cruise I ate everything and left nothing. I always left the dining room feeling stuffed. Since I take last seating, I would rather leave half my food and be comfortable for the rest of the night.

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09
Oasis of the Seas 10/16/10
Old February 21st, 2008, 08:07 AM
Admiral

I too am very happy with the slightly reduced size of the servings aboard "Carnival". I, frankly, am not very active when aboard, and I enjoy trying different things, and I LOVE the chocolate melting cake, so the reduced size of the servings is perfect! Once again, it's just a matter of "Carnival" looking out for me while I'm aboard.

Ken
"Sky"
Old February 21st, 2008, 09:20 AM
First Mate

OH NO! A couple of you just HAD to mention the decadent warm chocolate melting cake didn't you? It was awsome! But to get back to the subject at hand. I think the portion sized are just about right. I am diabetic (forget I said anything about the chocolate melting cake ok?) and I thought the portions were probably what we are supposed to eat and I agree with some of the other posters that other restaurants have way to much food. The DW and I usually end up not being able to eat it all, but we were stuffed when we left the main dining room.....and the lido buffet....and the ice cream/yogurt stations......not to mention the pizzarea!

Dewayne

Free Cruise Clocks
Old February 21st, 2008, 01:21 PM
Admiral

I HAVE NEVER SEEN A WAITER GET UPSET OR ANGRY WHEN SOMEBODY ASKED FOR SECONDS, OR EVEN THIRDS.

CARNIVAL GLORY 4/2007
CARNIVAL INSPIRATION 8/2008
CARNIVAL GLORY 7/2009
Old February 21st, 2008, 02:49 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

The portions are now "right-sized"

I think the portions at Cheesecake factory, for example, are ridiculous and it is not wonder obesity is a major factor in America. The only people who finish them are usually obese or they "can't stand waste" and they go home with a carry out box or a belly ache.

Think of it - Cheesecake Factory has figured out the perfect marketing strategy. Every meal is twice the price but you think "it's worth because they give you so much food" so you pay it. They have figured out a way to sell every customer two meals.

The cruise line portions have become smaller, I believe, but as noted, you get all you want, so it is a moot point. Plus there is room service and (sometimes) late-night buffets.

And thank you for starting the conversation, conversationist. I for one appreciate the fact that someone here wants to pose questions for discussion. Its good for the lurkers who may be too shy to ask what they might think is a "dumb question."