Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 23rd, 2008, 11:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to LeeandKelli

jkmmah;

I agree w/some of the posters, maybe a shorter cruise of five days wouldbe more cost effective? Booking that ocean view or inside cabin would also save some cash. I know you have your heart set on a balcony but there is always the next cruise! You and your family deserve a nice family getaway and make sure you do get that military rate. Kelli has her own travel business and we always offer a military discount.

Please thank your husband for his service to our country and thank you
for holding down the fort while he has been gone.

Lee and Kelli
Old February 24th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you, again, to everyone for all their wonderful and kind wishes for our family. It truly is heartwarming to feel such gratitude and love from all of you. We're humbled by your support and thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

As for the cruise...we took that leap of faith. I just booked us on the Triumph for June 15th and we did go with the balcony. We talked it over and decided that this truly is what we want to do and we will enjoy ourselves and shut out the rest of the world while we reconnect in paradise. It's worth it to us.

It just took a little bit of coaxing and pep talk from our fellow Cruisemates to show us that this trip can be done and why it should be done, as well as ideas on how it can be done best.

Whoo-hoo! We're going cruisin' again! The kids are over the moon excited and I know the anticipation of what dh has to look forward to will be a bright spot in his day, each and every day, until he returns safely home.
Old February 24th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to LeeandKelli

Awesome.....

Enjoy!

Nothing less for our soldiers and there families.

Lee and Kelli
Old February 24th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Admiral

EXCELLENT! You and your husband certainly have earned the break, and I have no doubt that you'll have a great time aboard "Triumph". I too, thank you, and your husband for your service to our great country. Having been there, done that, I know it's just as difficult, or perhaps even more so, for those of you who are left at home holding down the fort, as it is for those of us who have been deployed. THANK YOU!

Ken
"SkyMaster"
Old February 24th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Passenger

Variety is important in vacations. My kids got "disneyed out a bit". Even when they were younger than OP's kids, they actually preferred Sea World and Universal to the Disney parks. Once they hit 6 & 8, we decided on a cruise and this will be our third in three years. With the theme parks, I felt it was a vacation just for the kids because everything we did HAD to be something they liked and we had to be with them 24/7. With the cruises, there are the kids programs and my wife and I got to spend some time alone and do some adult things. This year, we're actually going to the supper club restaurant, Harry's.

There certainly are negatives to cruises. The rooms are small. The pools are small and the pool area is crowded. When we went to the theme parks, we'd stay at the resort condos like the Sheraton Vistana which are huge townhouses. We could make our own breakfasts and do some takeouts for dinner after a long day at the parks and hang out by beautiful pools. I think vacationing in those resorts and driving 5 minutes to any theme park was much less expensive than our cruises. But we're at the point where everyone in my family actually likes the cruises better because we love doing things on islands.

Good luck with your decision and thank you for serving the USA.
Old May 1st, 2008, 11:25 AM
Beginner

Default Help Cut Down your costs

First of all, I want to thank your DH, and you for everything you are doing in these trying times.

I'm glad to hear you booked your cruise. If you are like me, you will become addicted

One way to cut a few dollars from your cost would be to stay at a hotel close to the port the night prior to departure. Quite a few the them offer free parking, and shuttle service to and from the port. On a 7 day cruise, this could save you around $70 (assuming the room is $70). I did this when I sailed out of Port Canaveral, and it worked out wonderfully.

Good Luck and Happy Cruising!!
Old May 1st, 2008, 02:58 PM
Captain

God Bless your hubby for his service to our Country.

You might want to consider if your schedule permits cruising in late Nov early Dec between but not including Thanksgiving and Christmas. I have found the rates then to be best and the weather suberb.
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old May 1st, 2008, 08:16 PM
Admiral

Well, looks like the Army, Air Force, and Navy have given you advise, so from this old Marine,,,,,DO IT! If you can afford it at all, book the cruise, and never look back. You and your hubby deserve the time together, and there's no time like the present. As the others have said, be sure to compare rates from at least two or three sources, and even the different ships. Miracle is GREAT IMO, as well as the other ships mentioned.

Have a great cruise,

Ken
"SKY"
Old May 1st, 2008, 08:17 PM
Admiral

Well, looks like the Army, Air Force, and Navy have given you advise, so from this old Marine,,,,,DO IT! If you can afford it at all, book the cruise, and never look back. You and your hubby deserve the time together, and there's no time like the present. As the others have said, be sure to compare rates from at least two or three sources, and even the different ships. Miracle is GREAT IMO, as well as the other ships mentioned.

Have a great cruise,

Ken
"SKY"
Old May 1st, 2008, 09:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Wow! I was surprised to see this post make its way back to the top again. Thanks to all for their very thoughtful comments and advice. I appreciate it all.

The last I had posted we had booked the Triumph and were happy about it. Then I started having doubts and looked at other ships sailing the only dates we could make. With our military family schedule we are only given a small window of time to take leave so cruising during "off seasons" is not possible.

After more research we elected to pay a little extra and transfer our booking from the Triumph to the Valor, same departure date in June. We have no doubts about this at all, and no buyer's remorse whatsoever.

We are thrilled with our choice and are looking forward to this cruise more than words can say. After all dh has been through in Iraq, and all the children and I have endured at home for the last 15 months, we certainly feel ready for our vacation.

Dh is due home within a month, but the worry keeps going until he is safely back home, so if you all could continue to send out prayers and well wishes I know he and his guys will certainly appreciate it.

God Bless our Troops!
Old May 3rd, 2008, 10:48 AM
First Mate

The rate for Triumph on Jun 15 is now $990 for the military rate must be going up. Summer cruises are all higher priced. We book early and go in January and have found better prices and gets us out of the cold.
Old May 4th, 2008, 02:08 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmmah
Wow! I was surprised to see this post make its way back to the top again. Thanks to all for their very thoughtful comments and advice. I appreciate it all.

The last I had posted we had booked the Triumph and were happy about it. Then I started having doubts and looked at other ships sailing the only dates we could make. With our military family schedule we are only given a small window of time to take leave so cruising during "off seasons" is not possible.

After more research we elected to pay a little extra and transfer our booking from the Triumph to the Valor, same departure date in June. We have no doubts about this at all, and no buyer's remorse whatsoever.

We are thrilled with our choice and are looking forward to this cruise more than words can say. After all dh has been through in Iraq, and all the children and I have endured at home for the last 15 months, we certainly feel ready for our vacation.

Dh is due home within a month, but the worry keeps going until he is safely back home, so if you all could continue to send out prayers and well wishes I know he and his guys will certainly appreciate it.

God Bless our Troops!
We have sailed on the Valor and loved it. Great ship and a great crew. Thank you again for you and your husbands service to this great country.

Read and post cruise reviews
Read and post cruise reviews

Fascination 01/02
Imagination 07/02
Glory 07/04
Glory 12/04
Valor 12/05
Miracle 08/06
Fascination 10/06
Triumph 06/07
Inspiration 11/07
Destiny 08/08 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 11/09 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 10/10 (VIP Status)
Destiny 10/11 (VIP Status)
Enchantment of the Seas(RC)04/13
Dream 07/13
Old May 4th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Passenger

Have you tried the Shades of Green military resort at Disney? The rates are based on your rank and are cheaper than the other Disney resorts. And there's nothing 'military looking' about it. All of the same amenities and servicies as the other Disney resorts. You could combine that with a shorter cruise for a very nice vacation.
Carnival Glory 07/04
Carnival Glory 12/04
Carnival Valor 12/05
Carnival Miracle 08/06
Carnival Fascination 10/06
Carnival Triumph 06/07
Carnival Inspiration 11/07
Carnival Destiny 08/08
Carnival Inspiration 10/09
Carnival Inspiration 10/10
Old May 4th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Admiral

Will send prayers for his safety and the best possible cruise for you and yours.
With gratitude,
Marty
Old May 5th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Admiral

Hi Kris, I see you've already gotten lots of advice from CMs, and I'm late in finding this thread, so can't really add anything, but just wanted to know what you finally decided on?

donna
Old May 5th, 2008, 09:14 AM
First Mate

I would pick the cruise any day over another trip to Disney! Since you've been to Disney so many times, try something different!

At least with the cruise your food and entertainment (for the most part) are included in the price. What a bargin!

Your excursions are up to you. We dont' take one in every port. We're on a 9 day cruise this summer and we are only booking 2 excursions. The rest we'll explore on our own.

We are a single income family so vacations aren't easy for our budget either, but I book a year in advance and by the time we board, it's paid off! No worries.

I say go for it, enjoy your family being home together again and thank DH for his latest tour!!!! We appreciate him!

2005 Carnival Spirit to Alaska

2007 Carnival Conquest to Western Caribbean

2008 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to New England/Canada

2010 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to Southern Caribbean