CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Tips for a longer cruise? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/347224-tips-longer-cruise.html)

OzzyMom February 22nd, 2008 09:55 PM

Tips for a longer cruise?

My son and I, along with other family members, will be sailing on our first 7 day cruise in August. We have only been on 4 day cruises in the past. Can any of you seasoned cruisers give us any tips for our first longer cruise (i.e. - pack light and do laundry, alternate days for excursions, dining room tips, formal nights, etc.)? I am thinking there must be some special considersations when taking a longer trip vs. a shorter trip. I know there is a lot of knowledge here and I hope you will share some tips with me. Thank you in advance!! :D

jpmaximus February 22nd, 2008 10:11 PM

Well you will love the feeling of a longer cruise. 4 day cruises just fly by and you really dont feel like you had a vacation in my opinion. Things wont go by quite so fast so just enjoy yourself. Dont feel like you need to rush to do an event, you will have more time just to kick back, sit in a chair, or swim or whatever you like to do. Enjoy!

Luanne Russo February 23rd, 2008 11:50 AM

I 'm not quite sure what you want to know. Being on a longer cruise is about the same, except, you might have to pack more, or wash clothes while on the ship.

Instead of one formal night, you will have two.

You will wake up on the morning of the fourth day, and be sad and then happy that it is no way over with yet. LOL

Sammy1954 February 23rd, 2008 12:28 PM

Hi
I like longer cruises. The 3 and 4 day are like you just get on the ship
and you turn around and its time to get off the ship and go home.
7 and 8 day ones are the best for me.
You will have two formal nights instead of one.
Dont over pack for the extra few days.
You will just have more time to enjoy your self and relax.
Have a good time.

sammy

RTALLEN February 23rd, 2008 01:49 PM

Yes! Yes! Yes! Three more days of free pizza at the pizza bar! Woo-Hoo!Three more days of the Cruise Director's corny jokes! rofl And three more days to just enjoy your cruise and have a great time! Obviously you'll need a few extra things (socks, undies, etc.). Just don't overpack. You don't have to dress up for the extra formal night (unless you want to). You can eat on the Lido deck, or call for room service and dine in. As for excursions, look over the choices available at each port, and choose the ones that everyone in your group would enjoy (and what your budget will allow).

MTSFP February 23rd, 2008 04:14 PM

Having recently gotten off a 14-day Transatlantic, let me give you the following tips:

1. Be sure that your mail service is cancelled.
2. Be sure someone is there to feed the pets.
3. Be sure that there is no way that work can reach you.
4. Be sure to enjoy.

Seriously, my feeling is that, if you don't mind doing some laundry during the course of the cruise, you can get by on the seven day cruise with the same amount of luggage you took on the four day cruise.

Oh, one more hint. TAKE ME WITH YOU :D

Enjoy

richstacy February 23rd, 2008 04:28 PM

I don't think we've ever been on a cruise shorter than 7 days except one 4 day one many ears ago. when i was working, it took me 4 days just to get unwound enough to start enjoying the cruise, and now that I'm retired since airfare is such a large part of it 10 to 14 dayers are the norm.

You can pack lighter because you can do laundry one day to get the underwear etc.

Take more film/memory sticks.

Don't know whether you will have one formal night or two, but for men if two, just take two ties.

Relax right away so you can enjoy each and every day :!: :)

David West February 24th, 2008 09:47 AM

Since you've never done a 7-day, it may seem like forever for you at first. But the good times do past quickly. To me, there's only 1-thing better than a 7-day cruise, thats a 8-day or longer. LOL

For the wife and I, we were use to 7-day cruises, and then we done a quick 4-day on the Holiday. Talking about a short cruise :?: :shock:

Packing- Just add a couple more pieces of the essentials. Then if you need to wash, go early am to do this.

Happy Sailing to all; :D
David