Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 23rd, 2008, 06:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Rolling the Dice . . . upgrade possiblity feedback desired

Hi all!

We're looking at booking a cruise soon since my daughter is a senior this year and it'll be the last family vacation with her as a kid. (Not that DH and I won't think of her as a kid for a long time to come. )

We're looking at booking a suite guarantee and hope for a roll of the dice for a upgrade to a category 12. (At least guaranteed a category 11). At this point (around 60 days from date of departure), only one category 12 is booked.

What do you think our odds are for getting that category 12 upgrade?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2008, 06:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Your better way to look at this might be to see if all the other Category 11s are booked.

A higher demand for the Category 11 cabins is what's most likely would drive the decision to upgrade you to a Category 12.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 23rd, 2008, 06:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

There are less category 11 suites available than there are category 12.

So in theory, the odds may be in our favor?

Either way would be fine with me. We did a category 11 on our last with a fold out bed for the fourth and it worked out well. It would be nice to have the little bit extra room and not to trip over that fold out during the day though.

Thanks!
Old February 23rd, 2008, 07:24 PM
Captain

On some ships, the Cat 11s hold 3 and the Cat 12s hold 4, so the best way to get a 12 is to book 4 with the suite guarantee?
Old February 23rd, 2008, 11:34 PM
Admiral

I have found that there seems to be no rhyme nor reason that decides an upgrade. I have gotten them many times over the years and have never figured out the system other than to think you might get "points" for being a previous cruiser on that particular line. Other than that . . . . . . . .
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old February 25th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

This will be our third with Carnival and our second time with a suite.

I think we're going to roll the dice.

Now - how long before the trip will I receive my room assignment. I've always selected my rooms in the past.

and Thanks All!!!
Old February 25th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Admiral

The higher your category, the less likely that you will get an significant upgrade. Guaranteed cabin selection is used to move people around the ship and to open up the lower category cabins so as to fill the ship. By the time the upgrade fairy gets to your category, the only way you will get an upgrade is if someone books a suite and then cancels after the penalty period has kicked in when Carnival has already received their money for the cabin. Before then, unless Carnival has a specific reason for wanting to make you happy, they will not upgrade you to one of their most expensive cabins until they are pretty sure it will not sell.

I book Cat 1A. I used to always book the guaranteed. Then I realized that often times, I end up with a higher category but inferior cabin. Now I try to select my Cat 1A and then, if Carnival wants to move me, I will at least have a say on where I end up.

The best guarantees are when you book an OV guarantee and hope to be upgraded to a balcony. On the larger, newer ships where so many cabins have balconies, this is a very real possibility.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)