Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 23rd, 2008, 07:34 PM
Captain

Default NEED FAST answers to MOBAY question!

Ok, they are on a very tight budget, so tight that sunset beach is out of the budget (i'm assuming its atleast 30+ each to enter?) i heard up to 50.00 each now.

Anyway, is there or isnt there a SAFE free beach? Anything cheap for them to do? They are in the car waiting for me to write them back. They told me they were just going to go into town to shop...i was like NO YOU ARENT!

So either they stay just in the port shopping area or they stay on board, since i think town is a danger zone.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2008, 07:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Doctor's Cave Beach is not far away and there is a entrance fee for the beach. I don't know how security is around the place, but I would be scared of the over agressiveness of anyone who is selling anything!!!!!

MoBay is nice, but Ocho Rios was much nicer!!!...

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old February 23rd, 2008, 08:15 PM
Captain

thanks!
Old February 23rd, 2008, 08:18 PM
Captain

ok so travel agent Liz sent them too...

Jamaica-- Drs Cove Beach

Grand Cayman --- Capt Marvins (told them to just walk up get there early and see what he has available) i love the Capt.

Cozumel---Paradise beach and shopping!
Old February 23rd, 2008, 11:30 PM
Admiral

Drs Cave is good. Take the shuttle bus from the port terminal.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old February 24th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Admiral

I just wanted to comment how much better Ocho Rios is than it used to be.

I was always the one saying "just stay on the ship" where Jamaica is concerned. Jamaicas murder rate is ridiculously high and the aggressive nature is enough for me not to even get off the ship.

Well...that was before Ocho Rios earlier this month. Yes, we were just going to stay on the ship. We have been there many times years ago and the last time I said "never again".

We ventured off the ship to get a magnet. We were going to hit the first shop we saw...grab the magnet and RUN back to the ship.

As we left the port area, yes there were taxis asking us if we needed a ride. But they did it politely. Yes, we were asked multiple times but different taxi drivers...but they did it politely. I was SHOCKED.

Yes I was asked if I wanted my hair braided...but again they did it politely and I only had 3 hair braiders ask me all afternoon.

I was so stunned by the POLITE nature that we ended up walking to the Island Village. (an easy walk from the ship on sidewalks) No one bothered us. Again I was shocked. When we left Island Village to walk back to the ship, there were a couple fo taxi drivers right at the entrance (they are NOT allowed in) that asked us if we needed a taxi...but again they did it politely. We said no and walked back to the ship.

I was stunned. Now I know the rest of Jamaica isn't there yet. I don't even know about past Island Village (because that is as far as we went)

but Ocho Rios port has their act together!!

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old February 24th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Passenger

Default responding to IHP

was a little bit frazzled about your first comment about Jamaica, as a canadian of jamaican origins i find it disturbing when people highlight the negative about Jamaica, don't get me wrong I know there are lots of problems there, but for the most part the areas that tourists would go the general population is always looking out for you to make sure that you're safe. If you get yourself a taxi or tour minibus the driver always make sure you're shielded from those aggressive hagglers . So jus memba man every ting is jus irie man
Old February 24th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Passenger

Default responding to IHP

was a little bit frazzled about your first comment about Jamaica, as a canadian of jamaican origins i find it disturbing when people highlight the negative about Jamaica, don't get me wrong I know there are lots of problems there, but for the most part the areas that tourists would go the general population is always looking out for you to make sure that you're safe. If you get yourself a taxi or tour minibus the driver always make sure you're shielded from those aggressive hagglers . So jus memba man every ting is jus irie man
Old February 24th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Kojack-It is getting better, but the craft markets are the scary parts because they know what to do and some of us are idiots when it comes to bartering!!!!!!

On the side, my co-worker knows someone who is from Kingston and whenever he goes back home to visit his family, he is terrified because it is not like it was when he left. Naturally, Kingston ins't on the path for cruise ship tourists....

I'll be back in Jamiaca again next year..I love it there...this time Ocho Rios!!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old February 24th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Admiral

Having been to Jamaica many times I can vouch for Island Village at Ocho Rios as a good place to relax. Margaritaville has a nice little beach (especially for the kids). Do NOT go into Kingston alone. In my younger days I wandered into a Rasta bar called Club Brooklyn on the road to Kingston to hear local musicians. Had a great time, a Red Stripe on the house, and tried something called "Rastaman Stew" (do not ask what's in it mon !) But be careful on the road.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old February 26th, 2008, 05:27 AM
Captain

Default Re: responding to IHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack
I appreciate your comments, but having been to jamaica many times, i can tell you its NOT a safe place for 4 women alone who have never been there. There are unscrupulouse taxi drivers who arent sactioned. The shopping areas can be a battle field, not always but often. I saw fights break out over shoppers. I've had drugs offered to us on every trip, more so when we were younger. The murder rate is very high and all and all, its just not the place to go wandering with no direction on exactly where your going. Ocho Rios is safer, but the above have all happened to us (except the murder thing lol)...but Montego Bay is more dangerous. Safer to enjoy the beauty in a resort type atmosphere!

Nothing against your heritage, heck there are places in Dallas and Fort Worth I wouldnt recommend to my worst enemy!